Light Sensors Market Outlook - 2027
Light sensor is a photoelectric devicethatdetectsthe amount of light energy generated by a light source and converts it to electrical energy by imitating how human eyes respond under variety of lighting conditions. The performance of a light sensor ranges from 50lux in dim light to over 10000lux in noon. Consumer electronics and automotive sector make large-scale use of light sensors in LCD display backlight control, smart home, security lighting as it provides optimum viewing experience in diverse lighting conditions by automatic control of brightness level based on ambient light intensity.
In addition, it is implemented in exterior lighting, traffic signals as it features flexible, compact design, user-friendly interface, optimized power consumption, long battery-life, low cost and fast response.Light sensors are used in building automation control for day and night time determination as well as in commercial displays because it is easily-installable especially in wireless systems. This device can detect broad range of ambient light from 400nm to 700nm(manometer) thus enhancing product quality standards in market. Incorporation of IoT with light sensors providing cost-saving advantages such as auto-dimming of devices implies that the light sensors market share will undergo considerable growth in coming years.
COVID-19 SCENARIO ANALYSIS -
- The emergence of coronavirus has become a disastrous issue worldwide. There is a halt in production processes, owing to global lockdown scenario causing disruption in the overall supply chain of light sensors. COVID-19 outbreak has also caused lag in meeting demands of end users as the epicentre of virus outbreak Wuhan, China accounts for the largest manufacturing items for electronic components.
- In May 2020, Jim Collins and his group of scientists from MIT and Harvard developed a face mask that lights up by emitting a fluorescent signal when a person with COVID coughs, breathes or sneezes nearby. The fluorescent signal can only be detected by a fluorimeter. This technology can be used for personal purposes and to screen incoming potential of COVID-infected patients.
- In April 2020, researches at the Swiss Federal Laboratory developed a sensor featuring optical and thermal effects to detect the virus reliably. It is based on tiny gold nanoislands on glass substrate and DNA receptors. The technology uses an optical phenomenon that modulates incident light in specific wavelength range to create a change in refractive index around the nanostructure.
- Companies are trying their best to extend their customer care services.Governments worldwide should work towardeasing import and export restrictions to meet demands and curb disruption in demand-supply chain.
Top Impacting Factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Drivers, Trends, and Impact Analysis
Increase in emphasis onfacial recognition, fraud prevention in portable devices such as smartphone, tablets, surge in emergence of smart home devices such as security lights, automated closure of drapes and need of gesture recognition, headlight control in automobiles drive the market growth. However, high temperature sensitivity of photodiodes, poor linearity of photoelectric conversion under strong illumination, low operational battery-life and intense competition due to rapid changing customer preferences in this highly diversified market tend to restrain the light sensors market growth.
On the contrary, use of light sensors in low-cost cameras for medical and security imaging to perform non-invasive medical procedure such as measuring oxygen level in tissue and detecting tumours is likely to boost revenues for the market. Further ongoing innovation of in-built proximity sensors in automobiles as well as rapidly changing technology facilitating LED based horticulture lighting solution are anticipated to pave new pathways to the light sensors industry.
New product launches to flourish the market:
Key light sensors market players have adopted necessary steps to improve overall functionality, visibility, and reliability of light sensors.
In January 2020, Vishay Intertechnology, American manufacturer of discrete semiconductors and passive electronic components,integrated RGBC-IR color sensors for auto-white balancing, color cast correction in digital cameras as well as monitoring of LED color output for IoT and smart lighting. The VEML3328 and VEML3328SL sensors are able to sense red, green, blue and IR light by incorporating photodiodes, amplifiers into a single CMOS chip. In addition, it can calculate color temperature and is used in dark lens designsas it offers high sensitivity with programmable analog gain and integration time function. This device features low operating voltage of 2.6V to 3.6V and helps to differentiate indoor from outdoor lighting environment.
Surge in use in Automotive and Industrial Application:
Light sensors are embedded in automotive lighting design to offer customizable lighting solutions such as facial recognition, eye tracking or gesture control thus making the interaction between occupants and vehicle more intuitive.
In May 2020, OSRAM, a global high-tech company, launched the Oslon Piccolo, a compact infrared LED, that packs enormous power in a small package. It has compact dimension of 1.6mm*1.6mm and package height of 0.81mm facilitating easy installation in small space. The component is suitable as a constant light source for 3D image acquisition with modulated or fast pulsed light. This device requires a DC power of 1.15W at 1A with very fast switching time of 10ns and is available in wavelength of 850nm(SFH 4170S A01) and 940nm(SFH 4180S A01). The Oslon Piccolo helps in gesture recognition for navigation purposes where the menu items on the display are shown only when the driver moves hand towards the display, thereby allowing the route to appear full screen.
Key benefits of the stakeholders:
- The study gives an analytical overview of the light sensors market forecast with current trends and future estimations to determine imminent investment pockets.
- The report provides information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed light sensors market analysis.
- The current light sensors market trends are quantitatively analyzed.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
Questions answered in the Light Sensor Market research report:
- Who are the leading players in the light sensor market?
- What are the current trends that would influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Light Sensors Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd, Broadcom Limited, ROHM Semiconductor, Heptagon, Avago Technologies Inc., Maxim Integrated Products Inc., Apple Inc, Everlight Electronics Co., AMS AG, Sharp Corporation