Linear slide, known as linear guide or linear-motion bearing, is a bearing that allows for smooth and, frictionless movement along a single axis. Moving components in a straight line along any of the three-dimensional axes is common in machine tools, robotics, actuators, sensors, and other mechanical equipment. Friction prevents free translational motion while in contact with another object. It is the force that two bodies exert on each other while they are moving in opposite directions. The load applied to the surface in contact as well as the surface attribute known as the coefficient of friction determine the amount of frictional force exerted. Linear ball slides are corrosion-resistant slides with a low friction coefficient owing to stainless steel ball rollers on four corrosion-resistant stainless steel needle rollers. Liner slides are made in such a way that they can withstand applications that need a lot of force, rigidity, and precision.
Market Scope and Structure Analysis
The automotive and electrical & electronics industries are driving the growth of the global linear slides market. Ball bearing and roller slides are two major types of rolling components which are prevailing in the linear slides market. Ball bearing slide provide smooth and accurate motion in the uniaxial direction, while roller slides or cross roller slides are non-electric slides, providing low friction linear motion to equipment powered by hand or inertia. They allow for heavier loads and better movement control. Roller slides are devices that move or actuate another device by moving it along a straight line using a cylindrical bearing. Compared to ball bearings, roller bearings have higher starting torque and can withstand higher axial loads.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic halted the production of various products in the linear slides industry, which is attributed to the global lockdown. This hampered the growth of linear slides market in the last few months and is likely to continue during 2021.
- COVID-19 affected the sales of linear slides in the first quarter of 2021 and is anticipated to have a negative impact on the market growth throughout the year.
- The major demand for linear slides was previously noticed from giant manufacturing countries, such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and South America, which are negatively affected by the spread of the coronavirus, thereby declining the demand for yarders.
- Further, potential impact of the lockdown is currently vague and financial recovery of companies is based on their cash reserves. Linear slides manufacturers can afford a full lockdown only for a few months, after which the players have to modify their investment plans. For instance, various players in the market halted their production activities for several weeks to reduce the expenses. Om the contrary, few players adopted employee lay-offs to sustain themselves during COVID-19 health crisis.
- Linear slides manufacturers are expected to focus on protecting their workforce, operations, and supply chains to respond toward immediate crises and find new ways of working after COVID-19. For instance, provision of sanitizers, maintaining social distancing, as well as ensuring the vaccination of every employee in the company can assist in promoting the health & safety of the workforce.
Top Impacting Factors
The market is expanding as a result of growing automotive and machine tools industry. Automobile industry is one of the fastest expanding industries in terms of production and industrial technology. To create better and cost-effective products in less time, automotive makers are modernizing systems, expanding inspection & networking capabilities, and using integration. Linear motors, linear rail guides, linear actuators, and controllers are in great demand across the world because they help to improve the efficiency of production and manufacturing facilities in the automobile sector.
Furthermore, linear slides are used in the machining tools industry to automate operations such as boring, cutting, shearing, grinding, and other kinds of metal deformation to provide a high-reliability and low-maintenance solution. Linear motion components like ball screws, linear guides, linear motors, & actuators are designed to maximize the efficiency of equipment that performs repetitive operations.
- In December 2020, Del-Tron Precision launched non-magnetic ball slides. This new series of non-magnetic ball slides is the appropriate option for applications that cannot tolerate magnetic interference. These slides are ideal for various applications such as medical, semiconductor, military, and laser.
- In November 2021, THK Co. launched cross-roller guide with cage alignment system. The cross-roller guide VRG is a linear motion guide that moves cages containing precision rollers placed orthogonally along 90-degree V-shaped raceways in a limited stroke to give light and accurate sliding motion. Easy and smooth movement of this product adds the stability of a patented rack and pinion system that eliminates cage misalignment.
- In January 2022, NSK expanded its bearing segment capabilities by acquiring Alliance Beading Repair and Reclaim LLC. This acquisition has increased bearing services and support bandwidth for managing bearing life duration.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the linear slides industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the future investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, opportunities, and the linear slides market share.
- A quantitative analysis highlights the linear slides growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers and suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed linear slides analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Linear Slides Market Report Highlights
By Product Type