Thermoset elastomers are common, but thermoplastic elastomers are also available. During curing, or vulcanizing, the long polymer chains crosslink. Temperature effects can also be seen in a polymer's demonstrated elasticity. Elastomers that have cooled to a glassy or crystalline phase have fewer mobile chains and, as a result, less elasticity than those that have been manipulated at temperatures above the polymer's glass transition temperature. Recent developments in the medical field have paved the way for breakthroughs in polymer technology. For applications that require flexibility or rubber-like elasticity, medical device manufacturers increasingly turn to thermoplastic elastomers, and they turn to Teknor Apex for high quality, regulatory-compliant TPEs with a proven record of accomplishment.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
COVID-19's unprecedented crisis in 2020 continues to have a visible and significant impact on the global workforce, industry, country, and economy. The pandemic has hampered the Medical Elastomers supply chain, particularly in terms of raw material for medical-grade elastomers. Polymer and reinforcing filler are used to make elastomers. Due to the pandemic, businesses were forced to close their doors, resulting in a shortage of raw materials. The export or import of elastomers or raw materials had to go through a strict sanitization process and had to stay at docks during the peak of the pandemic, causing a supply chain disruption that also hampered the growth of the industry.
Top Impacting Factors
Medical elastomers have a variety of physical characteristics, including viscosity and a weak intermolecular force. It is used for a variety of things, including infusion solution bags, syringes, tubes, and various implants like heart valves and joints. Medical elastomers are designed to meet the demanding needs of the healthcare industry. Advancements in thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) processing technology, growing demand for medical products incorporating elastomers, increasing government support, and rising public awareness about improved healthcare facilities are all driving the global medical elastomers market.
- The thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) segment is the largest market shareholder in the medical elastomers market among the various types.
- Many medical device companies are attempting to address new regulatory dynamics in advance, such as implementing strategic initiatives for phthalate-free patient environments in the U.S. and other parts of the world.
- In applications where phthalate- or plasticizer-free materials are desired, TPEs are being considered as a replacement for PVC. IV therapy manufacturers are among the first in the medical device industry to switch from PVC to TPE materials on a global scale.
- TPEs are also being used to replace thermoset rubbers (like silicone, polyisoprene, and butyl rubber) in elastomeric medical applications like septums, stoppers, and syringe plungers.
- This trend of switching to TPE is gaining traction, and it is expected to fuel the global medical elastomers market's growth in the coming years.
- A growth driver will be advancements in the thermoplastic elastomer processing industry, which will increase demand for medical elastomers. The market is expected to grow due to increased demand for safe and halogen-free polymers, as well as a shift in the medical industry toward health devices and externally communicating medical tools.
- During the forecast period, rising awareness and adoption of high-quality healthcare products will also drive demand for medical elastomers. Some elastomers' biocompatibility concerns, combined with stringent regulatory requirements around the world, may limit the medical elastomers market's growth during the forecast period.
- Growing latex allergies among surgeons, as well as a ban on powdered latex surgical gloves, may limit market growth over the forecast period. Today, medical-grade elastomers are also used to make implants and prosthetics, which take advantage of the material's flexibility to achieve specific results.
- Dental implants and prosthetics are primarily used to fill cavities in the mouth or to replace them with a concrete solution, and the World Health Organization estimates that oral health issues affect nearly 3 billion people worldwide. A dental implant is an oral prosthetic in which the gum is opened and a prosthetic crown is placed in the cavity.
- North America is the most important regional market. Because the United States is the world's largest hub for medical device manufacturing, there is a huge demand for medical elastomers.
- The medical device industry in the United States is by far one of the most advanced in the country. An increasing geriatric population and a growing demand for medical facilities to treat chronic diseases have aided the sector’s growth.
- The demand for medical elastomers has grown even more in North America as a result of medical tubing operations.
- The large market size, combined with North America's rapid growth, has played a significant role in the global medical elastomers market's expansion.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the medical elastomers market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the medical elastomers market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the medical elastomers market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed medical elastomers market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in the Medical Elastomers Market Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the medical elastomers market?
- What current trends will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What are medical elastomers?
- What does medical elastomers allow organizations to achieve?
- Which technologies combine to make medical elastomers critical organizational asset?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
Medical Elastomers Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
BASF SE, Polyone Corporation, The Hygenic Corporation, Trelleborg AB, DSM, Kuraray Co., Ltd., RAUMEDIC AG, DuPont, Momentive Performance Materials Inc., HEXPOL AB, Dow, Celanese Corporation, RTP Company, Biomerics, KRATON CORPORATION, Foster Corporation, Teknor Apex