The metal barrier industry is witnessing significant growth and is expected to grow considerably throughout the forecast period. Metal barrier is extensively used for separating two or more zones. Metal barriers are vital components of infrastructure such as roads, railways, and bridges as they ensure containment of different types of traffic in their respective zones. A wide range of metal crash barriers are available in the market, which are used to demarcate the edge of carriage way and prevent vehicles from colliding with obstacles such as tress, signage, and boulders. Metal barriers help in improving the efficiency and safety of road transport. They are also used for demarcation of restricted areas for enhanced security. Furthermore, metal bollards are multi-functional barriers that can be used to guide traffic as well as for aesthetical purposes in residential, commercial, and recreational buildings. Metal barriers are easy to install and have low maintenance cost. Many players in the industry are focusing on developing cost-effective and durable metal barriers.
Metal barrier systems consist of beams, end sections attached with spacers, and fasteners. Metal crash barriers are semi-rigid structures that have the capacity to absorb a certain amount of energy created by the impact of the vehicle and barrier. Steel of the Fe 410 or Fe 360 grades is commonly used in the production of crash barriers. They can be used as aesthetic bollards with light installations in parks and other spaces. The availability of metal barriers in a wide range of shapes, sizes, and patterns increases their applicability in various conditions.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic halted production of various products in the metal barrier industry, which has resulted in a global lockdown. This has hampered the growth of metal barrier system market in the last few months and is likely to continue through 2022.
- The major demand for metal barrier systems barriers was previously noticed in countries including the U.S., Germany, Italy, the UK, and China, which are negatively affected by the spread of the coronavirus, thereby declining the demand for metal barrier systems.
- Further, potential impact of the lockdown is currently vague and financial recovery of companies is based on their cash reserves. Metal barrier manufacturers can afford a full lockdown only for a few months, after which the players have to modify their investment plans. For instance, various players in the market halted their production activities for several weeks to reduce the expenses. On the contrary, few players adopted employee lay-offs to sustain themselves during the COVID-19 health crisis.
- Metal barrier system manufacturers are expected to focus on protecting their workforce, operations, and supply chains to respond to immediate crises and find new ways of working after COVID-19. For instance, provision of sanitizers, maintaining social distance, as well as ensuring the vaccination of every employee in the company can assist in promoting the health and safety of the workforce.
- The restrictions placed on public gathering by governments across the globe has significantly reduced the number of people visiting corporate office, shopping malls and amusement parks, thereby decreasing the demand for metal barrier systems.
- COVID-19 has negatively affected the financial performance of many countries, thereby reducing the investments on infrastructural projects, and reducing the demand for metal barrier systems for use in toll collection booths.
Top Impacting Factors
Efficient infrastructure is a key component in overall growth of a country. Thus, India, China, and other developing countries have focused on rapid development of infrastructure such as roads, railways, bridges, and airports. This rapid development of infrastructure has been a major driver in the growth of metal barrier market, owing to its importance in enabling efficient and safe vehicular and pedestrian traffic movement. Furthermore, metal barriers are easy to install and require less maintenance. Metal crash barrier systems possess semi-rigid properties that reduce the impact of the collision, thereby causing less damage to occupants in the vehicles. However, high initial cost and fluctuating price of raw materials is a major restraint in the growth of metal barrier system market. Surge in purchasing power of middle-income masses in developing countries is expected to significantly increase the number of on road vehicles, thereby creating a demand for efficient traffic management solutions. For instance, according to International Energy Agency, India has approximately 25 vehicles per thousand people as of 2020, and the number is expected to across 150 by the year 2040. Rise in awareness regarding road safety in developing countries provides lucrative growth opportunities for the metal barrier system market.
- Major players in the industry are offering specially engineered barrier systems that cause fewer injuries in event of collisions. For instance, Tata Steel Europe Limited offers Protect 365, which is a BS EN 1317 standard compliant highway restraint system that reduces injury levels and consists of system rails that go into tension and contain vehicle.
- Manufacturers of metal barrier systems are providing specialized barrier systems for security applications. For instance, Delta Scientific Corporation offers a wide range of swing beam barricades that is used in government facilities, military bases, airports, commercial buildings, automotive sales & service facilities, and other commercial spaces.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the metal barrier systems industry along with the current and future trends to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents detailed information related to key drivers, restraints, opportunities, and metal barrier systems market share.
- A quantitative analysis highlights the metal barrier systems market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers and suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed metal barrier systems market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Metal Barrier System Market Report Highlights
By Product Type
By End-user Industry
By Business Type