The global metalized flexible packaging market is experiencing significant growth and is expected to grow considerably in the next few years. Packaging is essential to protect the product during shipment from potential damage due to the external environment. There are many types of packaging methods adopted by the industry, and one of such methods utilizes metalized flexible packaging material owing to its many benefits. Metalized flexible packaging is light and relatively cheaper than the traditional methods of packaging. The properties of aluminum and other metals that are used in making the packaging material greatly reduces the permeability of light, water, and oxygen, into the pack. This vastly helps in extending the shelf life of the contained products. The metalized flexible packaging is used to make pouches, bags, roll stocks, and wraps. In addition to this, some prominent end-use industries are pharmaceuticals, personal care, food and beverages, pet food and others. Moreover, metalized flexible packaging is relatively newer advancement in packaging technology. Major players in the metalized flexible packaging industry adopt advanced methods to increase the productivity of their products to sustain the competition in the metalized flexible packaging market.
Market Scope and Structure Analysis
Metalized flexible packaging is typically a film that has been coated with a thin layer of aluminum, chromium, or nickel metal. This is done so as to produce a metallic and shiny finish on the packaging material. This packaging material is best suited for packing light-sensitive products to protect them against light and extend their shelf life.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic ceased the production of various products in the metalized flexible packaging industry, which is attributed to the global lockdown. This has hampered the growth of metalized flexible packaging market in the years and a similar trend is expected to be seen in the first half of 2022.
- The major demand for metalized flexible packaging was previously noticed from giant developed and developing countries, including the U.S., Germany, Italy, UK, and China, which are negatively affected by the spread of the coronavirus, thereby declining the demand for metalized flexible packaging.
- Further, the long-term impact of the lockdown is currently vague and financial recovery of companies is totally based on their cash reserves. Metalized flexible packaging manufacturers can afford a lockdown like only for a few months, after which the players have to modify their investment plans. For instance, various players in the market halted their production activities for several weeks to reduce their expenses. On the contrary, few players adopted employee lay-offs to sustain themselves during the COVID-19 health crisis.
- Metalized flexible packaging manufacturers are expected to focus on protecting their workforce, operations, and supply chains to respond to immediate crises and find new ways of working after COVID-19. For instance, provision of sanitizers, maintaining social distancing, as well as ensuring the vaccination of every employee in the company can assist in promoting the health & safety of the workforce.
Top Impacting Factors
Metalized flexible packaging offers many features that make it superior to other similar types of packaging. Its superior ability to barricade the external environment and its low cost make it a great packaging option among the manufacturers. This is anticipated to drive the demand for metalized flexible packaging. As awareness among consumers is rise in regarding their health, manufacturers are forced to adopt healthy packaging methods, which is another reason for increase in demand in the metalized flexible packaging market. In the last decade, the orientation of consumers has tilted towards packaged foods, owing to their fast-paced lives. This factor is anticipated to drive the demand for metalized flexible packaging markets. However, the fluctuating cost of raw materials required to manufacture the metalized flexible packaging is one of the restraining factors hindering the growth of the metalized flexible packaging market. Contrarily, technological developments in the metalized flexible packaging manufacturing industry, such as superior metal pressing machines and integration of industry 4.0 technology in manufacturing processes and machines, is expected to result in better, relatively inexpensive end products. This is anticipated to create lucrative opportunities for the growth of the metalized flexible packaging market during the forecast period.
- New products that contain improved capabilities are launched by leading market players. They take the necessary steps to improve the overall functionality of the products. For instance, in November 2021, Cosmo Films Ltd. launched a new product named "Enhanced Barrier Metalized Biaxially-oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) Film". It is applicable for flexible packaging of snacks, packaging of biscuits, and bakery products. This product launch has enhanced the product offerings by Liebherr to sustain the competition in the metalized flexible packaging market.
- Similarly, competitors in the metalized flexible packaging market adopted acquisition as their key developmental strategy to expand their geographical foothold and upgrade their product technologies. For instance, in June 2019, Amcor acquired the U.S.-based Bemis Company, Inc., a flexible packaging product manufacturer. This move is anticipated to help Amcor enhance its product portfolio and increase its geographic foothold.
- Moreover, business expansion strategies assist in enhancing the geographic footprint of the company and help in gaining significant market share for metalized flexible packaging products. For instance, in April 2019, Sealed Air Corporation, opened a new customer engagement facility, Packforum EMEA, in Passirana di Rho, Milan. The facility houses one of its global innovation and development centers, which is expected to attract packaging and e-commerce companies across the region.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the metalized flexible packaging industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the future investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the metalized flexible packaging market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the metalized flexible packaging market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed metalized flexible packaging market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Metalized Flexible Packaging Market Report Highlights
By Material Type
By Packaging Type
By End-user Industry