Methylmalonic acidemia (MMA) is a type of heterogeneous disorder caused by gene mutation, where the body is unable to break down certain proteins and fats, which further results in buildup of substance called methylmalonic acid in the blood or in the urine. This is a genetic condition, which is caused due to a defect in the metabolism of methyl malonyl-coenzyme A (CoA), vitamin B12, or any dietary deficiency and is passed down through families. People suffering from this disorder might face other biochemical abnormalities such as low methionine and elevation of homocysteine and children with MMA lack the protein required by their body to break down the food.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are expected to witness a significant growth in the future, owing to the demand for vaccine and treatment drugs for COVID-19. This, in turn, is expected to have a significant impact on the methylmalonic acidemia market.
Top Impacting Factors
Increase in knowledge and awareness of methylmalonic acidemia drives the market growth.
Rise in unhealthy lifestyles of the people leads to increase in cases of methylmalonic acidemia, which, in turn, boosts the MMA market growth.
However, high price of the treatment of the MMA syndrome acts as a key challenge for the growth of this market.
Surge in R&D activities to bring in the modernization and technological advancements in the medical field pave way for more opportunities in the methylmalonic acidemia market for the future.
New Product Launches to Flourish the Market
- In 2020, LogicBio Therapeutics, Inc., a biotechnology company, received clearance from the FDA on LB-001, which is a drug to treat the serious conditions of methylmalonic acidemia (MMA).
- In 2020, Moderna, Inc is an American pharmaceutical and biotechnology company, launched mRNA-3704 to treat patients suffering from isolated methylmalonic acidemia.
- In 2021, Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc., a pharmaceutical company that manufactures medicines for rare diseases, got approval from FDA for CARBAGLU® (carglumic acid) tablets 200mg to treat acute hyperammonemia.
- Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the methylmalonic acidemia industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the methylmalonic acidemia market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the methylmalonic acidemia market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed methylmalonic acidemia market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years
Questions answered in the methylmalonic acidemia report
- Who are the leading players active in the methylmalonic acidemia market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is "methylmalonic acidemia"?
- What is "methylmalonic acidemia" market prediction in the future?
Methylmalonic Acidemia Market Report Highlights
By Disorder Type
By Distribution Channel
Key Market Players
Merck KGaA., Chengda Pharmaceuticals Co. Ltd, Ceva Santé Animale S.A, Cayman Chemical, Johnlee Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd, Lonza Group Ltd, DSM, Tokyo Chemical Industry Co., Ltd., Biosint S.p.A., Sanofi