A microkeratome is a high-precision surgical instrument, which comprises an oscillating blade intended to create the corneal flap for surgeries related to refractive errors, and is used especially in ALK or LASIK surgeries. The thickness of a healthy human cornea varies between 500 and 600 m. In the LASIK technique, the microkeratome creates a thick flap of around 83200 m.
Microkeratome is used in Descemet's Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSAEK) to cut a reedy layer from the back of the cornea, which is then relocated into the cornea of the inheritor. Before the commencement of surgery, the vacuum and microkeratome units are assembled, carefully tested, and inspected to confirm appropriate functioning.
The growth of the global microkeratome market is driven by rapid growth of geriatric population and increase in prevalence of eye disorders. Moreover, technological advancements in surgical devices is another major factor that fuel the market growth.
In addition, various developing countries in Asia-Pacific are progressively investing on the improvement of healthcare infrastructure and are promoting awareness about eye disorders, which in turn supplement the growth of the market. However, high cost of these devices and dearth of skilled professionals, especially in the rural areas, act as restraints of the market.
The global microkeratome market is segmented on the basis of product, technology, treatment, and geography. Based on product, the market is bifurcated into disposable and reusable. By technology, it is classified into fully invasive and minimally invasive. According to treatment, it is categorized into epiretinal membrane, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachment, and others. Geographically, it is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
Some of the key players operating in the global market include:
- Essilor International
- Johnson & Johnson Vision Care
- Bausch & Lomb Incorporated
- Hoya Corporation
- Carl Zeiss AG
- Alcon, Inc.
- Marvel Medtech
- STAAR Surgical Company
- Abbott Medical Optics Inc.
- This report provides a quantitative analysis of the current trends, estimations, and dynamics from 2016 to 2023 to assist in identifying the prevailing market opportunities.
- Major countries in each region are mapped according to the individual market revenue.
- The region-wise and country-wise market conditions are comprehensively analyzed.
- This study evaluates the competitive landscape and the value chain analysis to understand the competitive environment across geographies.
- An in-depth analysis of each segment of the microkeratome market is provided to assist the prevailing market opportunities.
Microkeratome Market Key Segments:
- Fully Invasive
- Minimally Invasive
- Epiretinal Membrane
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Retinal Detachment
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Other key players (not profiled) in this industry include:
- Novartis AG
- HAAG-Streit Holding AG
- Nidek Co., Ltd.
- Topcon Corporation
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
- Ziemer Ophthalmic Systems AG
- Sonomed Escalon
- Gulden Ophthalmics
- FCI Ophthalmics
- Glaukos Corporation