Desalination of brine refers to the removal of salt from sea water. In the process of desalination, concentrated brine is produced as a waste product. If this brine is returned to the sea water, it could adversely affect marine life. Recently, scientists have posited a course of action that would not only solve this problem, but would yield several benefits as well. Since valuable materials can be obtained through harvesting desalination brine, it could be viewed as a resource material rather than a waste product. The materials harvested from desalination brine include lithium, uranium, magnesium, potassium, calcium and sodium elements. Magnesium and lithium have application in lightweight alloys and high performance batteries and harvesting desalination brine could be a solution for potential shortages of these materials. Obtaining metals from desalination brine would not only provide lucrative opportunities for metal manufacturers, but would prevent contamination of seawater as well. Saltwork technologies and TRU Group Inc. are some of the companies that mine metals from desalination brine. Recently, catalyst-assisted chemistry -a new process- has been introduced for mining metals from desalination brine. With this method, metals could potentially be extracted from rejected desalination brine in a more cost-effective manner than lake deposits or land-based mining of ores.
The global market for mining metals from desalination brine is segmented on the basis of technology and geography. Based on technology, the market is further segmented into Electrolysis, Catalyst-assisted chemistry and Bioleaching. Electrolysis is a widely used technology whereas Catalyst-assisted chemistry was introduced recently and is expected to gain significant attention in the near future. Geographically, the global market for mining metals from desalination brine is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and LAMEA. North America dominates the global market due to advancements in technology.
This report offers the following benefits in particular:
- In-depth coverage of the global market for mining metals from desalination brine including drivers, restraints and opportunities would help professionals to better understand market behavior
- Pin-point analysis of geographic segments helps to identify opportunities for growth within the global market for mining metals from desalination brine
- Detailed study of the strategies of key leaders, partnerships and acquisitions in the global market for mining metals from desalination brine would be informative for professionals in the corporate sector
- Porter’s Five Forces analysis examines the competitive structure of the global market for mining metals from desalination brine and would assist market strategists in their decision making process.
KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
The global market for mining metals from desalination brine market is segmented into two broad categories: technology and geography.
MARKET BY TECHNOLOGY
- Catalyst-assisted chemistry
MARKET BY GEOGRAPHY
- North America