Laminations are the steel portions of the stator and rotor consisting of thin lamination sheets stacked together. Motor lamination is often referred to as rotor lamination or stator lamination. Motor laminations are used to reduce eddy current losses and increase motor efficiency. Material with lesser cross-sectional area helps to lower the amount of the eddy current flow and loss. Thus, several thin pieces or sheets of iron are used to make up the armature cores. As a result, fewer eddy currents take place, which ensures a lower amount of eddy current loss taking place. Motor lamination is mostly done with silicon steel, which is also known as electrical steel. Adding silicon to steel increases its electrical resistance, improves the ability of magnetic fields to penetrate it, and reduces the steel’s hysteresis loss. The silicon in silicon steel can also help to reduce corrosion. Thus, use of motor laminations help to enhance the functional properties of the motor units and also helps in reducing machine losses.
COVID-19 scenario analysis:
- COVID-19 pandemic has shut-down the production of various products in the global motor lamination industry, mainly owing to the prolonged lockdown in major global countries. This has hampered the growth of global motor lamination market significantly from last few months, as is likely to continue during 2020.
- COVID-19 has already affected the sales of equipment and machinery in the first quarter of 2020 and is likely to cause a negative impact on the market growth throughout the year.
- The major demand for equipment and machinery was previously noticed from giant manufacturing countries including the U.S., Germany, Italy, the UK, and China, which is badly affected by the spread of coronavirus, thereby halting the demand for equipment and machinery.
- Further, potential impact of the lockdown is currently vague and financial recovery of companies is totally based on its cash reserves. Equipment and machinery companies can afford a full lockdown only for a few months, after which the players would have to modify their investment plans.
- Equipment and machinery manufacturers must focus on protecting their workforce, operations, and supply chains to respond toward immediate crises and find new ways of working after COVID-19 infection cases start to decrease.
Top impacting factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Drivers, Opportunities, Restraints and Impact Analysis
Electric motors are used widely in various applications like consumer electronics, electronic vehicle motors and other end uses. In power supply and infrastructure end use, transformers often need replacement and the global motor lamination market is aided by this. Various automobile motors use electric motors which increases the application of motor laminations. High performance luxury vehicles, hybrid vehicles and electric vehicles all use electric motors and are very important to the growth of the global motor lamination market. The high cost of materials reduces viability of alternatives to silicon steel that can be used for motor lamination. This factor is a major restraining factor for the global motor lamination market. The opportunity for growth of the global motor lamination market comes from the rising popularity of electric vehicles.
The global motor lamination market trends are as follows:
Growth in global automotive industry to help the market grow
With rising disposable income levels worldwide, the global automotive sector is expected to grow in the near future. Electric motors find application in luxury vehicles, hybrid vehicles and electric vehicles. Due to increasing emission norms along with the incentives applied by various governments around the world, the popularity of electronic vehicles is rising. This is a major factor behind growth of automotive industry and by extension, the global motor lamination industry. Electric vehicles are growing in popularity due to the reduction in emissions as compared to fossil fuel-based vehicles. Hybrid vehicles are also a prominent segment of the global automotive market. These vehicles use electric motors and thus are end users of the global motor laminations market. With the growth of the global automotive industry, the global motor lamination market is also expected to grow.
Growth of urbanisation around the world
According to data from the United Nations (U.N), more than 54% of global population is living in urban areas. Due to the factors of growing population, urbanisation and increased standard of living of consumers around the world, the global motor lamination market is expected to expand. Electric motors are found in industrial fans, blowers and pumps, machine tools, household appliances, power tools and disk drives. In power supply end use, transformers often need replacement and the global motor lamination market is aided by this. Electric motors are extremely important in modern-day life. They are used in vacuum cleaners, dishwashers, computer printers, fax machines, video cassette recorders, machine tools, printing presses, automobiles, subway systems, sewage treatment plants, and water pumping stations, to mention only a few applications. These factors is expected to aid the global motor lamination market grow as the usage of electrical motors in various applications are in sync with growth of urbanisation.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global motor lamination market industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global motor lamination market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global motor lamination market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed global motor lamination market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Motor Lamination Market Report Highlights
By Industry vertical
Key Market Players
LCS Company, Metglas Inc., Lamination Specialties Incorporated, Tempel, Alliance Steel, United States Steel Corporation, Lawkim Motors Group, Polaris Laser Laminations LLC, Sinotech Inc., Partzsch Group