A nuclear reactor is a device used to initiate and control sustained nuclear chain reactions. Nuclear reactors are deployed in nuclear power plants to generate electricity and for the propulsion of ships. Heat emitted from nuclear fission is passed to the working fluid, such as water or gas, to run the steam turbines. Nuclear reactors are deployed to generate isotopes utilized for medical & industrial purposes, and to produce weapons-grade plutonium. Some reactors are operated for research purposes only. According to the International Atomic Energy Agency, as of 31 December 2016, globally there are 448 operating nuclear reactors and 61 nuclear reactors under construction.
The market for nuclear reactor construction is driven by the growing demand for electricity due to rapid population growth, urbanization & industrialization, and rising initiatives taken by the government. Owing to a rise in safety concerns, especially after the Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan, countries have started investing in advanced technology, such as Generation III nuclear reactors.
However, political, regulatory, and economic considerations have also closed some nuclear reactors before the expiration of their life span, especially in the U.S. In addition, difficulty in obtaining raw materials to generate nuclear energy may restrain the growth of nuclear reactor construction market.
The nuclear reactor construction market is segmented based on technology, type, and geography. Based on technology, the market is segmented into pressurized water reactors (PWR), boiling water reactors (BWR), and others. Based on geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
Key players that operate in the market include Areva S.A., China National Nuclear Corporation, State Atomic Energy Corporation, Rosatom, Westinghouse Electric Company LLC., Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy, Ltd., Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., Larsen & Toubro Limited, KEPCO, China Nuclear E&C Group, and United Heavy Machinery Plants.
- The report provides an in-depth analysis of the nuclear reactor construction industry to identify potential investment pockets.
- The key drivers, restraints, opportunities, and their detailed impact analyses have been elucidated.
- Porters five forces model helps analyze the potential buyers & suppliers and the competitive sketch of the market, which is expected to guide the market players to develop strategies accordingly.
Global Nuclear Reactor Construction Market Key Segments:
By Technology Type
- Pressurized Water Reactors (PWR)
- Boiling Water Reactors (BWR)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Republic of Korea (North Korea)
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East
Key Market Players
- Areva S.A.
- China National Nuclear Corporation
- State Atomic Energy Corporation, Rosatom
- Westinghouse Electric Company LLC.
- Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy, Ltd
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
- Larsen & Toubro Limited
- China Nuclear E&C Group
- United Heavy Machinery Plants