Organic Dyes Market Outlook - 2027
The global organic dyes market size was valued at $3.3 billion in 2019, and is projected to reach $5.1 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 5.8% from 2020 to 2027.
Dye is a substance that is used to impart color to products such as plastics, textiles, and paper. Unlike inorganic dyes, organic dyes are composed of carbon atoms and carbon-based molecules. The chemical bonds in organic dyes are stronger than that of inorganic dyes. However, organic dyes are highly soluble in plastics. Some of the most important dyes include reactive, vat, acid, and mordant types.
Surge in demand for eco-friendly products acts as a key driving force of the global the organic dyes market. In addition, allergic reactions caused by synthetic dyes and their adverse effects on infants such as abdominal distension, vomiting, and cyanosis shift the consumer preference toward organic dyes, thereby contributing toward the growth of the global market. Moreover, increase in application of organic dyes in printing inks for textiles, paper, and pulp industries is expected to foster the organic dyes market growth. Various natural dyes are widely used in digital textile printing where they are used for preparation of water-based inks. Furthermore, organic dyesare widely applicable in the paints and coatings industry. In construction industry, they are used for masonry, walls, floor tiles, and roof tiles to provide aesthetic appeal and enhance the durability. However, the total cost of natural dyes is high as compared to that of inorganic dyes. For instance, one pound of cotton can be colored with 5 grams of inorganic dyes, whereas 230 grams of organic dye is required to color the same amount of cotton. However, the availability of organic dyes may vary season to season, due to limitation of raw materials. This may restrict the application of organic dyes. On the contrary, intense research &development activities and robust investment from industry players are expected to offer potential growth opportunities for the global market.
The global organic dyes market is segmented into product type, application, and region. Depending on product type, it is segregated into acid, basic, reactive, disperse, direct, sulphur, and, others. On the basis of application, it is fragmented into plastic, paints and coatings, printing inks, textile, and others. Region wise, it is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
Major players have adopted acquisition, agreements, and partnership to sustain the intense market competition. Some of the key players profiled in the report include BASF SE, DIC Corporation, Clariant AG, Huntsman Corporation, Cabot Corp., Dupont De Nemours & Co., and Lanxess AG.
By Product Type
Basic is projected as the most lucrative segment
Asia-Pacific accounted for significant organic dyes market share in 2019, due to large production of organic dyes in the countries such as China, India, and Japan. In addition, strong demand from paints and coatings industries for construction is acts as a key factor driving the market growth. By product type, the reactive dye segment dominated the market in 2019, attributable to increase in application of reactive dye in textile, paints, and coatings industries. Furthermore, reactive dye manufacturing is highly cost-effective as compared to manufacturing of acid, basic, and mordant dyes.
Textile is projected as the most lucrative segment
On the basis of application, the textile segment is expected to witness highest market growth during 2020-2027,owing to increase in demand for textile printing. Basically, natural dyes are widely used in preparation of various printing inks, such as solid and liquid inks, which are effective in textile printing application.
Europe exhibits CAGR of 6.6% during 2020-2027
COVID-19 scenario analysis
- The outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic had led to partial or complete shutdown of production facilities, which do not come under essential goods, owing to prolonged lockdown in major countries such as the U.S., China, Japan, India, and Germany. It has led to either closure or suspension of their production activities in most of the industrial units across the world.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has significant impact on the organic dyes market, owing to travel restrictions and global lockdown norms.
- This global lockdown led to cancelled shipments and hindered project visits. From beginning of May, 2020, over 70 countries including India, US, EU, and Switzerland had taken drastic measures to restrict export and import activities.
- Moreover, the rapid spread of COVID-19 in countries such as China declined the export of various dye products.
- As companies such as AkzoNobel and BASF have strong market presence in China and other countries in Asia-Pacific, the supply chain disruption largely affected the market demand.
- However, with the growing demand from paints, coatings, and other end-users, large number of industry players are investing in new start-ups in emerging economies, which will create new market opportunities during post COVID-19.
Key benefits for stakeholders:
- The global organic dyes market analysis covers in-depth information of major industry participants.
- Porter’s five forces analysis helps analyze the potential of buyers & suppliers and the competitive scenario of the industry for strategy building.
- Major countries have been mapped according to their individual revenue contribution to the regional market.
- The report provides in-depth analysis of the global organic dyes market forecast for the period 2020–2027.
- The report outlines the current global organic dyes market trends and future estimations of the market from 2019 to 2027 to understand the prevailing opportunities and potential investment pockets.
- The key drivers, restraints, & market opportunity and their detailed impact analysis are explained in the study.
Organic Dyes Market Report Highlights
By Product Type
Key Market Players
Clariant International Ltd., Cabot Corp., BASF SE, Dupont De Nemours & Co., Huntsman Corporation, DIC Corporation, LANXESS AG, Clariant AG, Altana Ag, Rockwood Holdings
The global organic dyes market is expected to exhibit potential growth opportunities during the forecast period. This is majorly attributed to a significant surge in demand for organic solutions in textile, paints, and coatings industries. Moreover, increase in application of organic dyes in printing inks for textiles, paper, and pulp industries is expected to support the market growth. Various natural dyes are widely used in digital textile printing where these dyes are used for preparation of liquid inks.in addition, increase in prominence of organic dyes in the construction industry will strengthen the market growth in the emerging economies, such as China, India, and Japan.