Ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency is a genetic disease causing ammonia accumulation in the blood. It is identified by a complete or partial lack of the enzyme called ornithine transcarbamylase in the patient's body. This enzyme helps in the removal of nitrogen from the body. The lack of it causes excessive nitrogen accumulation in the form of ammonia in the blood. The major symptoms of ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency include vomiting, refusal to eat, lethargy, and even coma. In addition, this deficiency can become apparent at any age in the patient; however, neonatal onset ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency is more common in males and rare in females.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in the Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing a shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are expected to witness significant growth in the future, owing to the demand for vaccines and treatment drugs for COVID-19.
However, with COVID-19, the supply chain of the raw material required to manufacture drugs for ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency has been disrupted in many countries. In addition, the market growth of pharmaceuticals is declining as the manufacturers of drugs have slowed down their production due to the pandemic. This, in turn, is expected to have a significant impact on the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment market.
Top Impacting Factors
Ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency poses higher risks to COVID-19 patients. This condition has led to prior comorbidities in such patients. Alarming increase in cases of COVID-19 in patients along with ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency is acting as a key driver of the market.
A significant number of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) are known to be associated with ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency. This factor is boosting the growth of the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment market.
Moreover, rise in number of awareness campaigns run by key players of the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment market for families and healthcare professionals has boosted the market growth for ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment.
However, the shortage of data on the prognosis and diagnosis of ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment is one of the factors that can impede the growth of the market.
Key Market Trends
Arcturus Therapeutics Inc. announced that it has completed its clinical trials of product ARCT-810 with positive results in pharmacokinetics, safety, and tolerability as the key endpoints for ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment.
Key players of the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment market are focused on leveraging faster drug approvals of many drugs that have orphan status with developing novel drug formulations solutions.
Ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment based on Ravicti oral solutions is expected to be highly sought after, as this treatment option has a lower risk of side effects. Ravicti oral solution is often coupled with low protein diets in patients.
In 2019, North America dominated the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment, owing to higher patient awareness and the presence of major market players in this region
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment market.
- The report provides a detailed analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
- Questions Answered in the Ornithine Transcarbamylase Deficiency Treatment Report
- Which are the leading players active in the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment market?
- How is each segment of the market expected to grow during the forecast period?
- What are the adoption trends for the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment in emerging economies and established economies across the world?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency treatment market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps in the market?
- What are the impacts of COVID-19 on the industry?
- What is ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency?
- What are the current and predicted trends of the market?
Ornithine Transcarbamylase Deficiency Treatment Market Report Highlights
By Product Type
Key Market Players
Acer Therapeutics, Bausch Health Companies, Inc.,, Nutricia, Mead Johnson, Abbott Laboratories, Horizon Therapeutics, Plc, Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical, Inc,, Arcturus Therapeutics, Inc.