Ovarian cancer is cancer that affects the ovaries. According to the WHO, an estimated 2,38,700 women were diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2012. The report analyzes the demand for ovarian cancer drugs, which would contribute to the growth of the market. It focuses on both generic and brand drugs that are used to treat ovarian cancer and their impact on the market.
The market is driven by the increasing incidence of ovarian cancer. The need for more effective treatment options is pushing growth of the market. While the market is dominated by generics such as paclitaxel and carboplatin, it is expected that drugs such as Bevacizumab (Avastin), Pazopanib (Votrient) would boost the growth of this market. Development of drugs with improved efficacy is a challenge for this market. The opportunity for this market lies in developing new drugs for treating ovarian cancer.
Global Ovarian Cancer Drugs Market Analysis by Drug
The drugs used to treat ovarian cancer include Paclitaxel, Cisplatin, Adriamycin PFS (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride), Carboplatin, Cyclophosphamide, Platinol (Cisplatin), Paraplatin (Carboplatin), Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome, Evacet (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome), Cytoxan (Cyclophosphamide), Paraplat (Carboplatin), Taxol (Paclitaxel), Neosar (Cyclophosphamide), Gemcitabine Hydrochloride, Platinol-AQ (Cisplatin), Topotecan Hydrochloride, Gemzar (Gemcitabine Hydrochloride), Hycamtin (Topotecan Hydrochloride), Doxorubicin Hydrochloride, LipoDox (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome), Dox-SL (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome), Clafen (Cyclophosphamide), Adriamycin RDF (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride), DOXIL (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome) and others. Treatment for ovarian cancer mostly includes a combination of two drugs, usually a platinum compound (Cisplatin or carboplatin) and a taxane (Paclitaxel or docetaxel).
Global Ovarian Cancer Drugs Market Analysis by Geography
The market for ovarian cancer is segmented geographically into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and LAMEA. North America is the major revenue generating market mainly due to the prevalence of ovarian cancer. According to the American cancer society, an estimated 21,980 women would be diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2014 in the US. Europe is the second largest market as the incidence for ovarian cancer is high in Europe.
The companies include Roche, Amgen, Boehringer Ingelheim, GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca and others. In Dec 2011, Roche received EU approval for it drug Avastin (bevacizumab) to be used in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel as treatment for ovarian cancer.
High Level Analysis
Market analysis by porter’s five-force model shows that the bargaining power of the buyer is high in this market as the market is dominated by generic drugs and there are many suppliers producing the drugs. The threat of new entrants is moderate as the drugs for treating ovarian cancer are mainly generic and pharmaceutical companies can easily start producing the drugs. Intensity of rivalry is high in this market as competitors are numerous and the drugs are undifferentiated. Top impacting factors have been given to get a clearer understanding of the market.
- In-depth analysis of the drugs in the market for treatment of ovarian cancer would help in understanding the capacity for growth in this market
- Segmentation by geography would help in identifying the demand for ovarian drugs in each region
- Key drivers and opportunities would help in a deeper understanding of the scope of the market
- Porter’s five-force model would give a clear picture of the market and help in making business decisions
- Estimations have been given for the period from 2013 to 2020, which would help in identifying the potential of the market
The ovarian cancer drug market is segmented by drugs and geography.
- Adriamycin PFS (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride)
- Platinol (Cisplatin)
- Paraplatin (Carboplatin)
- Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome
- Evacet (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome)
- Cytoxan (Cyclophosphamide)
- Paraplat (Carboplatin)
- Taxol (Paclitaxel)
- Neosar (Cyclophosphamide)
- Gemcitabine Hydrochloride
- Platinol-AQ (Cisplatin)
- Topotecan Hydrochloride
- Gemzar (Gemcitabine Hydrochloride)
- Hycamtin (Topotecan Hydrochloride)
- Doxorubicin Hydrochloride
- LipoDox (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome)
- Dox-SL (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome)
- Clafen (Cyclophosphamide)
- Adriamycin RDF (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride)
- DOXIL (Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome)
"Note : The list of companies mentioned in the description is tentative in nature and may change after detailed analysis."
- North America
- Asia Pacific