Over the counter (OTC) drugs are non-prescription drugs that can be purchased following the directions on the drug label or as directed by a physician. These medications do not require consultation and can be used to cure diseases such as tooth decays, pains, aches, itches, and others.
Factors such as easy to purchase, low cost, increasing usage of medications for minor health issues, along with the introduction of innovative drugs drives the market growth. However, misuse of OTC drugs and the complications faced by taking wrong medications restrain the market growth. But high acceptance of OTC drugs in emerging markets and promotions & marketing initiatives regarding OTC drugs increase opportunities for the market growth during the forecast period.
The over the counter (OTC) drugs market is segmented on the basis of category, dosage form, type, distribution channel, and region. On the basis of category, it is segmented into cough & cold products, analgesics, gastrointestinal products, sleep aids, otic products, wart removers, mouth care products, ophthalmic products, botanicals, antacids, smoking cessation products, feminine care, and others. Based on dosage form, the market is categorized into tablets, hard capsules, powders, ointments, soft capsules, liquids, and others.
By product, it is segmented into branded & generic drugs; by distribution channel pharmacies it is segmented into grocery stores, vitamin & health food stores, online pharmacies, and others. Geographically, the market has been analyzed across North America (U.S., Canada, and Mexico), Europe (Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain, and rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (Japan, China, India, Australia, South Korea, and rest of Asia-Pacific), and LAMEA (Brazil, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, and rest of LAMEA).
The key players in the market include Bayer AG, GlaxoSmithKline plc, Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer Inc., Sanofi S.A., Eli Lilly & Company, Merck & Co Inc., AstraZeneca plc, Abbott Laboratories, and Bristol-Myers Squibb Company.
- The study provides an in-depth analysis of the market with current trends and future estimations to elucidate imminent investment pockets.
- It offers a quantitative analysis from 2016 to 2023, which is expected to enable stakeholders to capitalize on prevailing market opportunities.
- Extensive analysis by product helps understand various classes of drugs in the OTC market.
- Comprehensive analysis of all geographical regions has been provided, which helps determine prevailing opportunities.
- Key players have been profiled and their strategies are analyzed thoroughly, which helps understand the competitive outlook of the global market.
Over The Counter (OTC) Drugs Market Key Segments:
- Cough & Cold Products
- Gastrointestinal Products
- Sleep Aids
- Otic Products
- Wart Removers
- Mouth Care Products
- Ophthalmic Products
- Smoking Cessation Products
- Feminine Care
By Dosage Form
- Hard Capsules
- Soft Capsules
- Branded Drugs
- Generic Drugs
By Distribution Channel
- Grocery Stores
- Vitamin and Health Food Stores
- Online Pharmacies
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of LAMEA