Pasture Seeds Market Research, 2032
The global Pasture Seeds Market Size was valued at $13.4 billion in 2022, and is projected to reach $25.9 billion by 2032, growing at a CAGR of 7.1% from 2023 to 2032.
The demand for pasture seeds is being stimulated by sustainable agriculture practices. The adoption of sustainable agricultural practices, such as crop rotation, diversification, cover crops, and precision farming, is motivated by the need to achieve both environmental sustainability and global food security. The need for sustainable farming has grown as a result of stakeholder recognition of the need to address resource depletion and environmental degradation, including regulators, consumers, and food companies.
The sector for cutting-edge seeds, crop protection, and farm equipment is given new chances as agricultural corporations prioritize sustainable farming methods. The protection and sustainable use of genetic resources, particularly seeds, for food and agriculture is an important cause supported by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). The FAO helps make high-quality seeds for sustainable agriculture more accessible by assisting seed production, boosting farmers' abilities to multiply seeds, and increasing community seed systems.
The market expansion of pasture seeds has been hampered by the acceptance of genetically modified (GM) crops. While GM crops have the potential to increase production, quality, and shelf life, public opinion, governmental interference, and persistent deception efforts all have an impact on how well-accepted they are in different places. The adoption of GM crops, particularly those used in pasture seeds, has slowed in some regions by unfavorable laws shaped by public opinion. Biosecurity laws and rigorous safety evaluations are required as a result of public concerns about crop biosafety, environmental impact, and potential health dangers.
As the acceptability and use of GM crops play a significant role in fostering innovation and developments in seed technology, these considerations have limited the market expansion of pasture seeds. To allay worries and improve knowledge of GM technology, efforts to encourage GM adoption need to concentrate on strong public education, efficient monitoring mechanisms, and science-based regulations. A balanced strategy that addresses global issues such as food security and sustainable agriculture while considering both the possible risks and advantages connected with GM crops are expected to help the market for pasture seeds flourish.
The market for pasture seeds has a sizable opportunity due to a rise in animal nutrition awareness. Customers look for premium meat and animal-based food products as they become more aware of the value of animal nutrition and health. The need for better animal feeding practices is driven by the rise in demand for nutrient-dense food for animals.
The production of pastures is essential for giving animals a diet that is healthy and natural. It is possible for animals to ingest a balanced and varied spectrum of nutrients when they are grazing on a variety of pastures. Roughage from pasture is essential for ruminant species' digestive processes, including cattle, sheep, and goats. Allowing animals to engage in natural behaviors, such as consuming a variety of foods, and having access to clean water and shelter improve animal welfare.
The relevance of animal nutrition is further highlighted by the rise in demand for meat and other animal-based products, which is being driven by urbanization, population increase, and higher disposable income. To accommodate this demand while maintaining profitability and environmental stewardship, livestock farmers concentrate on sustainable and effective production techniques. The best pasture management techniques, such as rotational grazing and feed supplementation, can increase animal performance while minimizing inputs and greenhouse gas emissions.
The pasture seeds market is segmented based on species, type, animal type, and region. By species, the market is bifurcated into legumes and grasses. By type, the market is categorized into clover, brachiaria, alfalfa, panicum, mombaca grass, andropogon, coastcross, bermuda grass, brome grass, fescue, rhodes grass, rye grass, sorghum, soybean, timothy grass, orchardgrass, turnips, millet, chicory, oat grass, wheat grass, birdsfoot trefoil and others. On the basis of animal type, the market is divided into pork, horse, cow, goat, sheep, and others. Region-wise the market is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
By Animal Type
Based on animal type, the pork segment dominated the global market in the year 2022 and is likely to remain dominant during the forecast period. One of the meats with the greatest variety, pork, is eaten across the globe. However, as pork is forbidden by the dietary restrictions of Judaism and Islam, as well as by some regional communities in Asia and Africa, pork is almost unknown in Middle Eastern cuisine.
According to per capita consumption, the top pork-eating nations are Germany, Denmark, Poland, and Austria. Pork is frequently diced or shredded and stir-fried with veggies and spices in China and Southeast Asia. A variety of little rolls, buns, and dumplings can also be filled with pork and vegetable mixes.
Based on species, the grasses segment dominated the global market in the year 2022 and is likely to remain dominant during the forecast period. Pasture grasses are a vital part of livestock feed and are extremely important for animal nutrition. They are raised as fodder crops, which are plants specifically grown to be harvested whole or for grazing. These crops, which might be annual or biannual, are meant to be consumed by animals for their dietary requirements.
Both cool-season and warm-season grass species are used as pasture, making up a large variety. Warm-season pasture grasses flourish in warmer areas, however, cool-season pasture grasses have photosynthetic chemistry and temperature maxima that are adapted to lower climes.
Based on type, the fescue segment dominated the global market in the year 2022 and is likely to remain dominant during the forecast period. Cattle may graze on tall fescue, which is frequently utilized as feed, especially during specific months. It is resistant to drought and may grow well in low-fertility environments. Tall fescue grows well in Missouri's soil and climate, particularly in the southern parts of the state. It is used for a variety of things, including highways, agricultural lots, ditches and pond banks, and waterways.
The feed quality can be improved by incorporating legumes into fescue stands, and there are numerous tall fescue cultivars that are appropriate for different geographical areas. Fescue and legume mixes are successful when managed properly, which includes soil testing and attention to the upkeep of the legumes.
Based on region, North America dominated the global Pasture Seeds Industry in the year 2022 and is likely to remain dominant during the Pasture Seeds Market Forecast period. The greatest crop grown in North America is wheat, and open-pollinated cultivars account for a sizable portion of that production. The market is expanding as a result of the low cost of open-pollinated types and the rising demand for hybrid seeds. The largest seed market in North America, with a considerable Pasture Seeds Market Share, is the United States. Growing in popularity in the United States and Mexico is the production of row crops and vegetable crop seeds, particularly under protected settings.
The market for seeds in North America is anticipated to gain from a number of causes, including rising per-capita consumption, hybridization by seed corporations, investments, and regional trade agreements. These elements foster the expansion of the market and present chances for pasture seed business participants.
The key players included into the pasture seeds market analysis are Hancock Seed & Company, DLF Seeds A/S, RAGT SA, Brett-Young Seeds Limited, Deutsche Saatveredelung AG, Corteva, Inc., Royal Barenbrug Group, Openfolde Limited, Fosters Seed and Feed Ltd., and GROWMARK, Inc.
- DLF Seeds A/S introduced new forage grass, Vast, which is a tetraploid perennial ryegrass. This launch expanded its product offering.
- DLF Seeds A/S opened new seed production and processing facility in New Zealand. This will increase its seed processing and seed treatment capacity.
- RAGT SA opened new research center in Annoeullin, France. This will expand its research and development capabilities.
- Deutsche Saatveredelung AG opened new warehouse in Netherlands. This expansion is manly focused on providing extra storage capacity to support the business growth.
- Corteva, Inc., expanded its seed business presence through investment in Afumati production facility in Romania. With this expansion it will meet the growing Pasture Seeds Market Demand in domestic and international markets in the sunflower market.
- Royal Barenbrug Group expanded its business presence in South Africa with launch of new subsidiary company. Barenbrug South Africa will focus on local testing, seed production and sales business.
- Royal Barenbrug Group announced investment in new laboratory for development and research of new climate-resistance grass solution. With this it will expand its customer offering and is expected to strengthen its product development expertise.
- La Crosse Seed, part of DLF Seeds A/S, acquired Deer Creek Seed, which is a seed production company. This acquisition will expand its current product offering and will further strengthen its business presence.
- DLF Seeds A/S acquired OreGro Seeds, which is a seed breeding company. This acquisition will expand its research, product offering and will further its operational capabilities with three warehousing facilities.
- RAGT Semences, part of RAGT SA, acquired Seed Force to expand its presence in New Zealand and Australia, and will further its product offering.
- Deutsche Saatveredelung AG acquired Northstart Seed Ltd., which is seed production company. This acquisition will strengthen its business position and is expected to expand its current product offering with new alfalfa genetics.
- GROWMARK, Inc., acquired Allied Seed, LLC., which is mainly engaged in seed products for forage, turfgrass and cover crop. This acquisition will expand its product offering in the pasture seed market.
- Royal Barenbrug Group entered into agreement with Uruguay's National Institute for Agricultural Research (INIA). This agreement is primarily focused on genetic development and improvement in alfalfa.
- Barenbrug Australia Pty Ltd., part of Royal Barenbrug Group, entered into an agreement with Nuseed Pty Ltd., which is a forage seed company. Through this agreement it have access to sorghum and sunflower germplasm portfolio for expanding its R&D activities in Australia agriculture market.
Key Benefits For Stakeholders
- This report provides a quantitative analysis of the market segments, current trends, estimations, and dynamics of the pasture seeds market analysis from 2022 to 2032 to identify the prevailing pasture seeds market opportunities.
- The market research is offered along with information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities.
- Porter's five forces analysis highlights the potency of buyers and suppliers to enable stakeholders make profit-oriented business decisions and strengthen their supplier-buyer network.
- In-depth analysis of the pasture seeds market segmentation assists to determine the prevailing market opportunities.
- Major countries in each region are mapped according to their revenue contribution to the global market.
- Market player positioning facilitates benchmarking and provides a clear understanding of the present position of the market players.
- The report includes the analysis of the regional as well as global pasture seeds market trends, key players, market segments, application areas, and Pasture Seeds Market Growth strategies.
Pasture Seeds Market Report Highlights
Market Size By 2032
USD 25.9 billion
CAGR of 7.1%
2022 - 2032
By Animal Type
Key Market Players
Fosters Seed And Feed Ltd., Brett-Young Seeds Limited, Corteva, Inc., GROWMARK, Inc., Deutsche Saatveredelung AG, DLF Seeds A/S, Royal Barenbrug Group, RAGT SA, Hancock Seed & Company, Openfolde Limited
The pasture seed market witnessed a healthy rise in demand over the past few years, owing to the cost-effectiveness over other feeds such as wheat bran and oil seed. The rise in awareness regarding the health benefits of pasture seeds to livestock adds significantly to the Pasture Seeds Market Growth. An increase in the domestication of aquatic livestock is projected to pose the highest growth in the demand for pasture seed during the forecast period.
North America attained a leading position in this market due to an increase in health consciousness among people. This region provides lucrative opportunities for growth to global pasture seed producers owing to its huge potential to set up infrastructure plants and increase in demand of pasture seed for organic meat.
Rise in urban population, increased disposable income coupled with growth in demand for meat, eggs milk, and other dairy products in emerging economies, such as India and China are the few factors that have a positive impact on the pasture seed market.
Marker-assisted breeding has accelerated advances in seed technology. R&D activities conducted by various breeding companies focus on making the resulting crops disease resistant. Thus, these companies have devoted considerable resources to producing disease screening techniques. Abiotic resistance is a significant area for research in the seed industry.