Pembrolizumab is a humanized monoclonal antibody used in cancer immunotherapy that treats melanoma, lung cancer, head & neck cancer, Hodgkin lymphoma, and stomach cancer. It is an IgG4 isotype antibody that blocks the protection mechanism for cancer cells and thereby, allows the immune system to destroy them. Pembrolizumab targets the programmed cell death protein 1 (PD-1) receptor of lymphocytes. It works by targeting protein cells in the body's immune cells and some cancer cells, referred to as PD-1/PD-L1. In patients who can't receive cisplatin-based chemotherapy and have a high level of PD-L1, it is used as a first-line treatment for metastatic bladder cancer. Moreover, it is also used for the treatment of adult and pediatric patients with refractory classic Hodgkin's lymphoma (cHL), and recurrent locally advanced or metastatic esophageal squamous cells. Common side effects include musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, nausea, decreased appetite, itchy skin, diarrhea, rash, fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Pembrolizumab is sold under the brand name Keytruda.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are expected witness a significant growth in the future owing to the demand for vaccine and treatment drugs for COVID-19. This in turn is expected to have a significant impact on the pembrolizumab market.
Top Impacting Factors
- Increase in prevalence of cancer across the world is expected to drive the growth of the pembrolizumab market.
- Rise in adoption of pembrolizumab (monoclonal antibody) for the treatment of wide range of cancer, and increase in number of geriatric population are expected to propel market growth.
- In addition, technological advancements in treatment therapies, increase in number of R&D for the treatment of cancer, and specificity effectiveness of cancer immunotherapy for the treatment of wide range of cancers such as lung cancer, head & neck cancer, stomach cancer, and others are some factors contributes toward the growth of the market growth.
- Furthermore, rise in healthcare expenditure and healthcare insurance are expected to fuel the market growth during the analysis period.
- However, side effects of pembrolizumab such as musculoskeletal pain, fever (pyrexia), cough, and difficulty in breathing are expected to hamper the growth of the market.
New Product Launches to Flourish the Market
In March 2020, Johnson and Johnson received the U.S. Food and Drug Administration breakthrough therapy designation for JNJ-61186372 (JNJ-6372) for the treatment of patients with metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
In June 2020, AVEO Oncology received the FDA acceptance for filing of a new drug application for tivozanib as a treatment of relapsed or refractory renal cell carcinoma.
In January 2020, Merck and Co. Inc. acquired ArQule Inc., a biopharmaceutical company concentrating on kinase inhibitor discovery and development for the treatment of patients with cancer.
In May 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administrstion approved Tabrecta (capmatinib) for the treatment of adult patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), and it is the first FDA-approved targeted therapy to treat NSCLC with specific mutations.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the pembrolizumab market industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in the Pembrolizumab Market Report
- Which are the leading market players active in the pembrolizumab market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is pembrolizumab market?
- What is pembrolizumab market prediction in the future?
- Who are the leading global players in the pembrolizumab market?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
- What are the key benefits of the pembrolizumab market report?
Pembrolizumab Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
Pfizer, Novartis, GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Amgen, Roche, Merck & Co., Bristol-Myers Squibb, Eli Lilly