Pharmaceutical linctus is a cough medicine in the form of a syrup. It is taken to often relieve the symptoms of dry cough and sore throat. It is often made in a syrupy medicinal formulation using lemon syrup, fruit-flavored syrup, or tolu syrup. Vehicles that are generally used in the preparation of pharmaceutical linctus include glycerin, sorbitol, or chloroform water. The sticky preparation of linctus containing medicaments exerts local action on the throat's mucous membrane relieving symptoms of pain in the throat. Linctus is a monophasic liquid preparations containing a high concentration of syrup and is advised to be sipped slowly.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in the Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing a shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are expected to witness significant growth in the future, owing to the demand for vaccines and treatment drugs for COVID-19.
However, with COVID-19 the supply chain of raw materials required to manufacture pharmaceutical linctus has been disrupted in many countries. In addition, the market growth of pharmaceuticals is declining, as manufacturers of drugs have slowed down their production due to the pandemic. This, in turn, is expected to have a significant impact on the pharmaceutical linctus market.
Top Impacting Factors
The growth of the pharmaceutical linctus market is majorly attributed to increase in the number of cases of respiratory disorders and allergies. Patients with such disorders often suffer from cough, which can be suppressed with the use of linctus.
A higher rate of air pollution across the world is contributing to the growth of the pharmaceutical linctus market. High air pollution in a region often causes symptoms of cough in the population.
In addition, the number of cigarette smokers and people having residence close to heavy traffic lead to increased chances of asthma. These, in turn, is propelling the growth of the pharmaceutical linctus market.
However, pharmaceutical linctus is not recommended in the U.S. or Canada in children who are six years of age or younger. This factor can impede the growth of the pharmaceutical linctus market.
Key Market Trends
Codeine is often used in the preparation of pharmaceutical linctus and was often considered as the gold standard in the preparation of linctus. However, its position is now being questioned as some clinical trials have found it to be ineffective against some forms of coughs.
Asia-Pacific is expected to hold a major share of the pharmaceutical linctus market, owing to rising prevalence of cough in different nations of the region such as India and China. According to the Journal of the Association of Physicians of India, around 54% of the country’s population suffers from cough.
North America is anticipated to dominate the pharmaceutical linctus market, owing to the rising prevalence of cough in the geriatric population and the strong presence of key players of the pharmaceutical linctus market in the region.
Favorable healthcare policies have been launched in many developing nations that are helping make healthcare more accessible to the general public. With this, people will find it easier to afford their treatment regarding respiratory disorders. This, in turn, is expected to boost the market of pharmaceutical linctus during the forecast period.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the pharmaceutical linctus industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Questions Answered in the Pharmaceutical Linctus Report
- Which are the leading players active in the pharmaceutical linctus market?
- How is each segment of the market expected to grow during the forecast period?
- What are the adoption trends for the pharmaceutical linctus in emerging economies and established economies across the world?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps in the market?
- What are the impacts of COVID-19 on the industry?
- What is pharmaceutical linctus?
- What are the current and predicted trends of the market?
Pharmaceutical Linctus Market Report Highlights
By Flavoring Agent
By End User
Key Market Players
Procter and Gamble, Pfizer, Inc., Acella Pharmaceuticals, LLC, GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Abbott Laboratories, Johnson and Johnson Services, Inc., Sanofi, Novartis AG, Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC, Merck KGaA