Phelan-McDermid syndrome (PMS) is also known as 22q13 Deletion syndrome. It is a genetic condition that is caused by a variance of the SHANK3 gene or a deletion (a missing piece) of genetic material that causes many different but related symptoms. The genetic changes that cause PMS vary from person to person and can occur randomly (de novo) or be inherited from a parent who carries a related genetic change. The most common characteristics found in those with PMS are intellectual disability of varying degrees, delayed or absent speech, symptoms of autism spectrum disorder, low muscle tone, motor delays, and epilepsy. There is currently no cure or treatment specifically for PMS.
COVID-19 scenario analysis
COVID-19 has affected almost all aspects of our lives. For individuals receiving applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy or other such therapies for treatment of phelan-mcdermid syndrome require physical meeting but the pandemic has created significant barriers, with a particular impact on educational and social engagement. Prior to the pandemic, these individuals obtained behavioral treatment face-to-face with an ABA therapist, whether in their own home or in a clinical setting. Recently, due to COVID-19, the use of remote technology and telehealth options has become increasingly prevalent to provide ABA services to individuals and families. Research published in the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis shows that the use of telehealth to implement behavior analytic services has shown positive outcomes, as reported by both practitioners and caregivers. Some challenges with teletherapy include limited access to technology, maintaining privacy, and controlling the therapy environment which may hinder the growth of Phelan-McDermid syndrome treatment market upto certain extent.
Top impacting factors: market scenario analysis, trends, drivers and impact analysis
Rise in the prevelance of genetic disorders is escalating the growth of phelan-mcdermid syndrome market. For instance, based on limited statistical analysis data published by National organization for rare disorders, the occurrence of of phelan-mcdermid syndrome rate has been estimated to fall in the range of 2.5-10 per million births. The increase in technological advancements in the diagnostics techniques and rise in the incidences of chemical modifications in gene or the DNA accelerate the market growth. Additionally, rise in R&D and healthcare expenditure will boost the growth of the market in the forecast period. On the other hand lack of awareness and high cost associated with the treatment of phelan-mcdermid syndrome expected to hinder the growth.
Key benefits of the report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global phelan-mcdermid syndrome market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the phelan-mcdermid syndrome market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the phelan-mcdermid syndrome market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed phelan-mcdermid syndrome market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the phelan-mcdermid syndrome market report
- Which are the leading players active in the phelan-mcdermid syndrome market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Market Report Highlights
By End User
Key Market Players
Astex Pharmaceutucals, Oryzon genomics, Cellcentric, Business wire inc.,, CELGENE CORPORATION, EpiGentek group inc., Base genomics