Phosphonates Market Research, 2031
The global phosphonates market was valued at $0.9 billion in 2021, and is projected to reach $1.6 billion by 2031, growing at a CAGR of 5.98% from 2022 to 2031.
Phosphonate is a nonvolatile organophosphorous compound that is poorly soluble in organic solvents, but soluble in water and common alcohols. They are effective chelating agents for di- and trivalent metal ions. In addition, they inhibit crystal growth and scale formation, and are stable under harsh chemical conditions. They find application in various end-use sectors, including textiles, pulp & paper, oil & gas, agriculture, and water treatment.
Increase in population coupled with rapid urbanization has led to shortage of potable water in both developed and developing economies where phosphonates are widely used as corrosion inhibitor, antiscalants, chelants, sludge conditioners, deflocculants, dispersants, and crystal growth modifiers in the water treatment sector. For instance, according to a report published by the World Wildlife Fund in March 2021, around 1.1 billion people lack access to fresh water and 2.7 billion experience water scarcity every year. This may act as one of the key drivers responsible for the growth of the phosphonates market. In addition, factors such as rise in the population of millennial, increase in fashion consciousness, and adoption of western culture among citizens of both developed and developing economies such as the U.S., China, and India have propelled the growth of the textile sector. Phosphonate plays a vital role in the textile industry where it helps in cleaning, finishing, and dyeing process. Furthermore, derivatives of phosphonates such as trisodium phosphate, and trisodium phosphate crystalline (TSPC) are used as a source of alkalinity in the fiber-reactive dyeing process and brighten the synthetic yarn. This factor fosters the growth of the phosphonates market during the forecast period.
However, derivatives of phosphonates such as bisphosphonates are prescribed for osteoporosis diagnosed patients; however, habitual consumption of bisphosphonate as medicine for prolonged periods may cause several health-related issues. For instance, prolonged use of phosphonates may cause joint pain, muscle pain, reduced bone density, and improper kidney function. Furthermore, the toxic nature of phosphonate and the availability of various constituents are anticipated to hinder the growth of the phosphonate market.
On the contrary, increase in severity of diseases has propelled the growth of the pharmaceutical sector where phosphonates are widely used to treat bone resorption disorders, anticancer targets, and other therapeutic applications. Moreover, phosphonate nucleotides such as cidofovir, tenofovir, and adefovir are critical antiviral medications used for the treatment of HIV and hepatitis B. This is anticipated to increase the sales of phosphonates in the growing pharmaceutical sector; thus creating lucrative opportunities for the market.
The global phosphonates market is segmented into type, application, end-use industry, and region. On the basis of type, the market is segregated into ATMP, HEDP, DTPMP, BHMT, and others. Depending on application, it is fragmented into water cleaner, scale inhibitor, bleach stabilizer, chelating agents, concrete additives, and others. By end-use industry, it is classified into water treatment, pharmaceutical, textile, oil & gas, pulp & paper, agriculture, and others. Region wise, the market is studied across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
The major companies profiled in this report include Acuro Organics Limited, Apchem, Aquapharm Chemical Pvt. Ltd., Changzhou Kewei Fine Chemicals Co., Ltd. (KWCHEM), Giovanni Bozzetto S.p.A., Lanxess, Manhar Specialities, Shandong Taihe Water Treatment Technologies Co., Ltd., Ter Hell & Co. GmbH, and Zschimmer & Schwarz Chemie GmbH.
In 2021, the HEDP segment was the largest revenue generator, and is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 5.93% during the forecast period. This is attributed to the fact that HEDP type phosphonates acts as an excellent scale inhibitor, corrosion inhibitor, and complex chelating in various industries such as in detergents industry, water treatment industry, oilfield, textile industry, and others. In addition, HEDP prevents the formation of insoluble sulfate and carbonate deposits, which makes it an ideal chemical for reducing hard coating on fabric. These factors are escalating the growth of HEDP segment in the global phosphonates market.
By application, the water cleaner segment dominated the global market in 2021, and is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 6.03% during forecast period. This is attributed to the fact that phosphonates acts as chemical additives to function as threshold antiscalants, sludge conditioners, corrosion inhibitors, and others. In drinking water production, phosphonates are widely used as antiscalants to clean the water and to reduce the formation of precipitation of salts in water by using the water treatment process. This is expected to propel the growth of water cleaner segment in the global phosphonates market.
By end-use, the pharmaceutical end use segment dominated the global market in 2021, and is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 6.49% during the forecast period. This is attributed to the fact that phosphonates have proven its pharmacological utility as inhibitors of enzymes that metabolize phosphate and pyrophosphate substrates. They are widely used to treat bone resorption disorders, anticancer targets, and other therapeutic applications. Moreover, phosphonate nucleotides such as cidofovir, tenofovir, and adefovir are critical antiviral medications used for the treatment of HIV and hepatitis B.
The Asia-Pacific phosphonates market size is projected to grow at the highest CAGR of 6.15% during the forecast period and accounted for 38.01% of phosphonates market share in 2021. China's pulp & paper manufacturing sector, which has forced the phosphonates manufacturers to produce more efficient condensed phosphates used in paper coating and filling to promote the dispersion of kaolin clay, lithopone, titanium dioxide, and iron oxide during paper manufacturing. Furthermore, the textile sector in India is witnessing a significant growth, owing to increasing increase in fashion consciousness among people where phosphonates are used as stabilizers for peroxide bleaching and textile dyeing applications. For instance, according to a report published by the Indian Brands Equity Foundation in May 2022, India’s home textile exports grew at a healthy rate of 9% in 2021.
IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE GLOBAL PHOSPHONATES MARKET
- The novel coronavirus is an incomparable global pandemic that has spread to over 180 countries and caused huge losses of lives and the economy around the globe. The major end users of phosphonates such as textile, oil & gas pulp & paper, and other sectors have been negatively impacted due to the ongoing pandemic outbreak.
- The ongoing health crisis has increased the supply–demand gap, hampering the global phosphonates supply chain. According to a report published by the National Bureau of Statistics of China, the chemical industry witnessed a 20% decline in production in March 2020 as compared to March 2019, while profits declined by 66%.
- Moreover, several companies have either shut down or shrank their operations due to the risk of infections among the workforce where phosphonates are widely used as corrosion and scale inhibitors. This has temporarily hampered the demand for the phosphonates market amid the COVID-19 period.
- In addition, more than 100 countries have locked their international borders for transportation and non-essential trade activities, which, in turn, has reduced the consumption of phosphonates among several end-use sectors.
- Furthermore, the temporary shutdown of construction and infrastructure activities amid the COVID-19 period has reduced the consumption of phosphonates for the curing of concrete from the ground. For instance, according to a report published by a research journal, the Journal of Physics, the COVID-19 pandemic has reduced the investment in the construction industry in India by 30%. This has resulted in decreased consumption of phosphonates in the construction industry.
- In 2020, phosphonates prices were higher in Asia-Pacific, due to continued regional demand and tight product availability. Firm downstream phosphonates demand and stronger upstream costs are expected to sustain the price gain.
- However, the phosphonates market is expected to recover rapidly post COVID-19 situation due to its increased dependency over healthcare & pharmaceutical, agriculture, and other sectors. For instance, according to an article published by Financial Express, the Indian pharmaceutical industry registered a growth of 15% in 2021, and is expected to grow at an average annual growth rate of 18.6% by 2025. This is expected to enhance the performance of the phosphonates market post COVID-19 scenario.
Key Benefits For Stakeholders
- This report provides a quantitative analysis of the market segments, current trends, estimations, and dynamics of the phosphonates market analysis from 2021 to 2031 to identify the prevailing phosphonates market opportunities.
- The market research is offered along with information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities.
- Porter's five forces analysis highlights the potency of buyers and suppliers to enable stakeholders make profit-oriented business decisions and strengthen their supplier-buyer network.
- In-depth analysis of the phosphonates market segmentation assists to determine the prevailing market opportunities.
- Major countries in each region are mapped according to their revenue contribution to the global market.
- Market player positioning facilitates benchmarking and provides a clear understanding of the present position of the market players.
- The report includes the analysis of the regional as well as global phosphonates market trends, key players, market segments, application areas, and market growth strategies.
Phosphonates Market Report Highlights
By End Use
Key Market Players
Shandong Taihe Water Treatment Technologies Co., Ltd., APCHEM, ZSCHIMMER & SCHWARZ CHEMIE GMBH 41, Lanxess, TER HELL & CO. GMBH, Manhar Specialities, ACURO ORGANICS LIMITED, Aquapharm Chemical Pvt. Ltd., Giovanni Bozzetto S.p.A., Changzhou Kewei Fine Chemicals Co., Ltd. (KWCHEM)
According to CXOs of leading companies, the global phosphonates market is expected to exhibit high growth potential during the forecast period. Phosphonates exhibit scale & corrosion resistance properties. In addition to this, they are strong complexing agents used to prevent the deposition of heavy metals in detergent manufacturing, water treatment, and metal fabrication. Viral health disorders such as hepatitis B and HIV can be treated with the help of phosphonate-based drugs such as cidofovir, adefovir, and tenofovir.
In addition, phosphonates possess significant properties such as high water solubility, strong adsorption rate, high sequestration ability, and inhibition of water hardness deposits that has made them best-suited for use as water cleaner, bleach stabilizer, and chelating agent in agriculture, water treatment, pulp & paper, and textile sectors.
The CXOs further added that sustained economic growth and the development of oil & gas sector have surged the popularity of phosphonates.