Photoelectric Sensor Market Outlook – 2027
Photoelectric sensor is a specialized position sensor that uses an infrared light transmitter and photoelectric receiver to detect distance, color, absence, or presence of an object. Photoelectric sensors are largely used in industrial applications such as monitoring conveyor position control, product presence, and detecting position misalignments as it increases operational efficiency and decreases process time, hence increasing productivity.
These smart sensors are used in military and defense sector for security and surveillance by detecting target objects as they can measure long-range and are tolerant to hazardous dirty environment with reduced maintenance. In addition, these are used in automobile detection in parking lots and elevator cage detection as they are reliable, less costly, and compact and offer reduced downtime and longer life.
Photoelectric sensor keeps circuit free from external wiring, hence it is immune to any possible noise as well as environmental disturbances such as dust and mist where light gets scattered. Further advancements in nanotechnology allows measurement of distance and position at high resolution and accuracy, which implies that the photoelectric sensor market share would undergo exponential growth in coming years.
The global photoelectric sensor market is segmented on the basis of type, technology, material, spectrum, output, range, application, industry vertical, and region. Based on type, the photoelectric sensor market is bifurcated into proximity photoelectric sensor, and fiber optic photoelectric sensor. In terms of technology, the market is categorized into retro-reflective, through-beam, diffused, and others. On the basis of material, the market is bifurcated into metal and plastic.
In terms of spectrum, the market is divided into infrared, visible, and ultraviolet. On the basis of output, the market is categorized into analog and digital. In terms of range, the market is segregated into <100 mm, 100-1,000 mm, 1,000-10,000 mm, and >10000 mm. On the basis of application, the market is categorized into safety, edge detection, film thickness detection, height & level measurement, position detection, and others.
In terms of industry vertical, the market is segmented into consumer electronics, aerospace & defense, automotive, food & beverages, healthcare, and others. Geographically, the market is analyzed across several regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa (LAMEA).
Key players operating in the global photoelectric sensor industry include Omron Corp., Autonics Corp., Panasonic Corp., Keyence Corp., Rockwell Automation Inc., SICK AG, Avago Corp., Balluff Inc., Schneider Electric, and Baumer Group. These companies have adopted several strategies such as product launches, partnerships, collaborations, mergers & acquisitions, and joint ventures to strengthen their foothold in the global photoelectric sensor market.
Top Impacting Factors
Rise in demand for safety and surveillance through biological agent detection in the military sector as well as necessity to measure product parameters such as pressure, position in all aspects of control and automation along with penetration of Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) drives the photoelectric sensor market growth.
However, high installation cost, complexity involved while installing transmitters and receivers in separate places in beam and retro-reflective sensors as well as frequent maintenance involved due to contamination of lenses tend to hinder the photoelectric sensor market growth.
On the other hand, adoption of robotics and complete automation by programming and reprogramming equipment in the food & beverages industry for cutting, positioning, and critical inspection applications further boosts the photoelectric sensor market revenue. Extensive development in the digital sensor technology along with rise in demand for IoT supported by huge investments by governments in security and surveillance is anticipated to open new avenues in the photoelectric sensor industry.
New Product Launches to Flourish the Market
Key photoelectric sensor market players adopt necessary methods to improve versatility and overall performance of photoelectric sensors to offer effective and reliable results in extremely confined or harsh
In October 2019, Omron Corp., a global leader in industrial automation solutions, launched E3AS Series Reflective-type photoelectric sensor designed to help manufacturers manage varied and flexible production needs efficiently. The E3AS family’s sensing distance of 1,500mm is five times longer than that of previous models and the entire sensing range from 50mm to 1,500mm eliminates the need to select different sensors for each application.
In addition, sensors have antifouling coating on the surface that reduces false detection and minimizes maintenance needs in harsh, polluted environments with oil, dust, or steam. This family of sensors ensure high detection stability for diverse targets, robustness, and compact size with a view to help manufacturers maintain varied and flexible production needs efficiently.
These broad range of products with shorter life cycle are not influenced by varying distance, color, materials, or surface thereby improving commissioning and operation rates by making selection, adjustment, and maintenance tasks easier.
Surge in Use in Industrial and Automotive Applications
Photoelectric sensors having low manufacturing cost are used in automotive applications such as enabling advanced electronic power steering systems, detecting automobiles in parking lots as well as detecting shiny objects.
In December 2019, Banner Engineering, a solution provider of a broad spectrum of sensing and safeguarding technologies, launched the DQ12 miniature photoelectric sensor featuring LED status indicators for power on, signal received, and marginal signal. Due to compact 8mm housing, DQ12 can fit anywhere and is available in opposed mode, fixed-field, polarized retro-reflective, and non-polarized retro-reflective modes, which delivers powerful sensing performance in tight spaces.
IP67 rated DQ12 features over-molded housing with visible pad printing for enhanced durability. This miniature, cost-effective solution is used as an end effector sensing on robotic assembly equipment as well as embedded in automated commercial kiosks and benchtop laboratory equipment. In addition, this is used for error-proofing in automotive assembly equipment and for other applications in space constrained environments.
Key Benefits of the Stakeholders
- The study gives an analytical overview of photoelectric sensor market forecast with current trends and future estimations to determine imminent investment pockets.
- The report provides information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed photoelectric sensor market analysis.
- The current photoelectric sensor market trends are quantitatively analyzed.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
COVID-19 Scenario Analysis
- The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is unsettling for people as well as organizations and business firms worldwide. With shutdown of manufacturing operations and travel and transportation ban worldwide, demand for photoelectric sensors has also plunged. The exact measure of the scale and scope of the challenge cannot be anticipated yet.
- Decline in demand from various industries and autonomous operations as well as halt in production has disrupted supply chain, thereby putting a negative impact on the photoelectric sensor market. The overall electronics industry is under pressure due to lack of supply of raw materials, hence causing price hike of raw materials and electronic components.
- Recent standstill in industrial automation and production acts as a wake-up call for its reliance on human labor. This is anticipated to highlight advantages of robotics and automation being a greater adoption after lockdown restrictions are lifted. Digitalization and components assisting industrial automation would be highly in demand. Hence, the photoelectric sensor industry is anticipated to make a steady growth in the post-pandemic period.
Questions Answered in the Photoelectric Sensor Market Research Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the photoelectric sensor market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the photoelectric sensor market size?
- What current trends would influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the photoelectric sensor market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Photoelectric Sensor Market Report Highlights
By Industry Vertical
Key Market Players
Balluff Inc, SICK AG, Baumer Group, Keyence Corp, Rockwell Automation Inc, Avago Corp, Omron Corp, Autonics Corp, Schneider Electric, Panasonic Corp