The piston pump market is expected to witness considerable growth throughout the forecast period. A piston pump is a reciprocating positive displacement pump that uses a piston diaphragm to move liquids. Piston pumps are operational across a wide pressure range and have the capacity to achieve high pressure, thereby making it suitable for use in heavy as well as light machines. Pressure can be controlled in a piston pump without affecting its flow rate.
They are used to move viscous fluids such as slurries, paint, and chocolate. Various industries use piston pumps by arranging a number of pistons is a cylindrical block. Furthermore, piston pumps are self-priming pumps and have high energy efficiency. Major players in the industry are investing a significant amount of resources in the development of piston pumps with enhanced durability and lower maintenance cost.
Piston pumps are rotary pumps that use a wheel or revolving shaft for operating piston. The plunger is driven in the cylinder by a wheel or revolving shaft where it displaces a volume of fluid. And when the plunger is withdrawn, it draws in a replacement volume of fluid and the process is continued. Factors such as rate of flow, head of the pump, volume stroke, pressure, outlet diameter, horsepower, and operating temperature play a key role in the efficiency of the pump.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic halted the production of piston pumps, which attributed to the global lockdown. This has hampered the growth of piston pump market in the last few months and is likely to continue during 2022.
- COVID-19 affected the sales of piston pumps in the second quarter of 2021 as the demand witnessed a steep decline due to restrictions on manufacturing activities. Major players in the manufacturing industry decreased production due to reduce in demand.
- The major demand for piston pump s was previously noticed from countries including the U.S., China, the UK, Mexico, Brazil, and India subject to heavy rainfall which are negatively affected by the spread of COVID-19, thereby decreasing the demand for piston pumps.
- The COVID-19 pandemic negatively affected the piston pump manufacturing units due to the restrictions laid on factory operations. Piston pump manufacturers are expected to focus on protecting their workforce, operations, and supply chains to respond to immediate crises and find new ways of working after COVID-19. For instance, provision of sanitizers, maintaining social distance, as well as ensuring the vaccination of every employee in the company can assist in promoting the health and safety of the workforce.
- Increase in vaccination drives and leniency in the COVID-19 restrictions has resulted in the recovery of manufacturing industries, thus being a positive factor in the recovery of the piston pump market.
Top Impacting Factors
The need for increased production efficiency has fueled the demand for piston pumps in various manufacturing industries. The versatility of piston pumps makes it suitable for pressure washing, abrasive blasting, bonding, chemical dosing, potting, and paint spraying. The adaptation of management tools like six sigma by major industries for improved manufacturing efficiency has positively influenced the demand for piston pumps. Furthermore, the availability of piston pumps in various materials such as stainless steel, plastic, and other materials makes them more usable in varying operating conditions. However, high maintenance and operating costs and property required to create pulsating flows are major restraints on the growth of piston pump market. Government initiatives such as “Make in India” of the Indian government and “Made in China 2025” of the Chinese government are expected to fuel the growth of manufacturing industry in the coming years. Thus, rapid development of manufacturing industry in many countries in Asia-Pacific is anticipated to increase the use of piston pumps for industrial purposes, thereby providing lucrative growth opportunities for the industry.
- Major players in the industry are focusing on the development of new pumps by combing different types of pumps. For instance, in March 2021, Bosch Rexroth Corporation, launched piston-gear pump assembly that combines A1VO/A10VO axial piston pumps and the AZPF/AZPW external gear pumps that are two proven Rexroth hydraulic pump series. The piston-gear pump assembly is specially designed to help mobile machine builders fit multiple pump configurations into tight machine spaces.
- Piston pump manufacturers are focusing on development of more efficient piston pumps. For instance, Bucher Hydraulics GmbH now provides piston pumps that are based on a new concept of balancing the internal forces by using two rotating barrel plates, facing each other and each having 12 pistons, thus being able to achieve a very high-power density and limit the axial forces.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the piston pump industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the future investment pockets.
- The report presents detailed information related to key drivers, restraints, opportunities and the piston pump market share.
- A quantitative analysis highlight the mobile piston pump market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers and suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed piston pump market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Piston Pump Market Report Highlights
By Product Type
By End-user Industry
Key Market Players
Parket Hannifin Corporation, Linde Hydraulics, Danfoss, Bailey International Llc, Daido Machinery Corporation, Bucher Hydraulics, Bosch Rexroth, Daikin Industries Ltd., Dynamatic Technologies Ltd, HYDAC International