Polybutadiene, also known as butadiene rubber (BR), is a synthetic rubber, which is produced by the polymerization of an organic compound 1,3 butadiene. The polymerization produces three types of products, 1,4 cis BR or HBR; 1,4 trans BR or LBR; and 1,2 vinyl. Among these, the 1,4 cis polybutadiene rubber is majorly used in tire manufacturing industry, due to its toughness, aging resistance, high elasticity, and enhanced abrasion resistance. In addition, polybutadiene is used as an additive to improve the impact resistance of other plastics such as polystyrene and acrylonitrine butadiene styrene.
COVID-19 scenario analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the global polybutadiene market to a great extent.
- Owing to the outbreak of COVID-19, many production units and several end-user industries that produce rubber goods such as tires, conveyor belts, hoses, and gaskets have stopped functioning, thereby reducing the demand for polybutadiene.
- Majority of polybutadiene is utilized to produce automobile parts such as tires, gaskets, and belts. With halt in production of automobiles due to COVID-19, a steep decline in supplies of butadiene rubber products has been witnessed, which is likely to hamper the growth of the global market.
Top Impacting Factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Drivers, and Impact Analysis
Increase in demand for cheap substitutes of natural rubber and high requirement of tires in the automotive market have boosted the production and consumption of polybutadiene. The major manufacturers of polybutadiene in the market are integrated petroleum companies. They themselves produce the raw materials and use them to further manufacture polybutadiene, which reduce the cost and facilitates uninterrupted supply of raw materials. However, the prices of polybutadiene undergo constant fluctuations due to the volatility of petroleum prices around the world, which hampers the growth of the global market.
On the contrary, the growth of polybutadiene market is majorly driven by upsurge in adoption of polybutadiene by the expanding automobile industry to manufacture fuel-efficient vehicles and eco-friendly tires. This factor is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunities for the players operating in the market.
Rise in demand for bio-based butadiene
Air pollution caused due to the production of polybutadiene has negatively impacted the environment. Thus, usage of bio-based feedstock in the production of synthetic rubber is one of the upcoming trends witnessed in the market. The development of renewable chemicals for the production of polybutadiene is increasing rapidly to attain sustainability. Hence, major players in the market have focused on producing butadiene rubber from bio-based raw materials such as biomass and glycerine. This is proving to be economically more viable than using conventional raw materials such as like butadiene and isoprene. All these factors collectively contribute toward the growth of the global market.
Key Benefits of the Report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global polybutadiene industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global polybutadiene market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the polybutadiene market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed polybutadiene market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the polybutadiene market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the polybutadiene market?
- What are the current trends will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Polybutadiene Market Report Highlights
By Chemical structure
By Industry vertical
Key Market Players
UBE Industries, JSR Corporation, Asahi Kasei Chemical Corporation, Firestone Polymers LLC, Kumho Petrochemicals, Lanxess, ARLANXEO, LG Chem Ltd., Versalis SPA, and Kuraray Co. Ltd.