Polymer Foam Market Outlook - 2027
The global polymer foam market size was valued at $83.9 billion in 2019, and is projected to reach $134.1 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 6.0% from 2020 to 2027.
Polymer foams, also known as plastic foams, foamed plastics, consist of a solid and gaseous phase. One of the widely used polymer foams is polyurethane foams, owing to its low density and thermal conductivity. Various types of polymer foams include polyurethane (PU), polystyrene (PS), polyolefin (PO), phenolic, and others. Such materials are majorly used in disposable packaging of fast-food, the cushioning of furniture and joint filler in various construction projects.
Significant surge in demand for various polymer foam in construction, furniture and automotive applications is expected to drive the polymer foam market growth. Polyurethane exhibits low density, low heat conduction coefficient, and low water absorption, which makes it suitable for various furniture foams and car seats. Additionally, polystyrene styrene foam being an inert material, is widely used in vacuum cleaners, microwave parts, food packaging, and laboratory trays. Furthermore, increase in disposable income in emerging nations will lead to rise in demand for electronic appliances and packaging foams. This growing demand is expected to provide impetus to the market growth for such foams. However, availability of wide range of eco-friendly alternatives and growing concern from government regarding environmental issues from plastics may negatively impact the market growth. For instance, recycled plastics, bamboo fiber and biodegradable plastics can replace conventional polystyrene foams in packaging applications. Nonetheless, with the advancements of additive manufacturing for polyurethane foam, it allows the possibility of printing products in customized sizes and shapes for packaging applications; thus, further enhancing the market growth. Such new advancements will create lucrative opportunities influencing the market growth.
The polymer foam market is segmented on the basis of type, application, and region. On the basis of type, it is divided into polyurethane foam, polyethylene foam, polypropylene foam, ethylene-vinyl acetate, and others. Based on application, it is categorized into furniture and bedding, transportation, packaging, construction, and others. Based on region, it is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA, with country level analysis of each region.
Major players have adopted product launch, business expansion, and acquisition to sustain the intense market competition. The key players profiled in the report include BASF SE, Dow Inc., Kaneka Corporation, Recticel, Rogers Corporation, Huntsman Corporation, Covestro AG, Sealed Air Corporation, and others.
Asia-Pacific exhibits CAGR of 6.4% during 2020-2027
Global Polymer Foam Market, By Region
Asia-pacific accounted for highest revenue share, owing to the massive demand in construction and packaging industries. The emerging economies in Asia-pacific are procuring various foreign equipment; thus, improving the production efficiency. In addition, industry players adopted various business expansion strategies, which further improved the overall production capacity in Asia-pacific.
Polypropylene (PP) Foam is projected as the most lucrative segment
Global Polymer Foam Market, By Type
The polyurethane segment accounted for a significant revenue share in 2019, owing to growing application of polyurethane in transport, furniture and construction applications. Such foams exhibit low density, low heat conduction coefficient, and low water absorption which makes it suitable for various furniture foams and car seats. In addition, polyurethane foams used in cushion materials and sofa sets have very low density, which is around four times lower than that of conventional rubber.
Packaging is projected as the most lucrative segment
Global Polymer Foam Market, By Application
The packaging application segment accounted for highest market growth. This is attributed to the rising demand of various lightweight polymer foams in food and electronics packaging applications, which will positively influence the polymer foam market growth. Busy lifestyle and great range of fast food meal options in various restaurants further enhanced the application for polymer foams which is a good thermal insulator with good energy absorption qualities.
COVID-19 Scenario Analysis:
- The global polymer foam market has been severely impacted by the outbreak of COVID-19 across the globe.
- This is attributed to stringent regulations imposed to maintain lockdown across countries. Additionally, due to social distancing norms, manufacturers are unable to operate at full strength, which has led to decrease in production capacity.
- The decline in per capita income lead to lower demand for various electronics products and sports, and recreational equipment; thus, negatively impacting the market growth.
- Furthermore, due to extended lockdown, large number of construction projects are on hold or delayed for 6 months. Such changes negatively impacted the sales of polymer foams for various insulation applications.
- Moreover, the upstream and downstream channel have been affected due to restrictions on movement, which lead to increasing the amount of inventories.
Key Benefits For Stakeholders
- The global polymer foam market analysis covers in-depth information of major industry participants.
- Porter’s five forces analysis helps to analyze the potential of buyers & suppliers and the competitive scenario of the industry for strategy building.
- Major countries have been mapped according to their individual revenue contribution to the regional market.
- The report provides an in-depth analysis of the global polymer foam market forecast for the period 2020–2027.
- The report outlines the current polymer foam market trends and future estimations of the market from 2019 to 2027 to understand the prevailing opportunities and potential investment pockets.
- The key drivers, restraints, and polymer foam market opportunity and their detailed impact analysis is elucidated in the study.
Polymer Foam Market Report Highlights
By Resin Type
Key Market Players
Recticel, Kaneka Corporation, ZOTEFOAMS, ACH Foam Technologies, Huntsman Corporation, Sealed Air Corporation, DOW INC., COVESTRO AG, ROGERS CORPORATION, BASF SE
According to the opinions of various CXOs of leading companies, the polymer foam market is heading toward an expansion phase. This is mainly attributed to the rise in demand for polymer foams in lightweight vehicles, building insulation, and flexible packaging. In addition, growing disposable income in emerging nations such as China, India, and South Korea, is expected to drive the market demand for various disposable packaging foams. Consumers are showing interest in purchasing new electronics devices, such as LED TV, new smart phones; thus, influencing the market growth. Furthermore, such types of polymer foams can be easily assembled for arm rests, head rests, hospital beds, and cushioned instrument panel. Such wide range of applications of polymer foams is expected to garner significant market growth.