According to a new report published by Allied Market Research, titled, "Pest Control Market by Type, Pest Type, and Application: Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2020-2027," the global pest control market was valued at $20.6 billion in 2019, and is projected to reach $30.0 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 5.2% from 2020 to 2027.
Pest control includes the management and regulation of pests that adversely affect human health and environment. Implementation of stringent government regulations in the developed regions, such as North America and Europe, toward conservation of environment and favorable government initiatives to promote the use of bio-based pesticides are expected to drive the growth of the global pest control market. In addition, constant changes in climatic conditions are a prominent factor for the growth of pests, as pests survive at elevated temperature. However, toxicity and health-related issues due to chemicals present in pesticides is a significant factor restraining the growth of the market. On the contrary, ongoing R&D activities to increase the dependency on bio-based pesticides are expected to offer lucrative growth opportunity.
The global pest control market is segmented on the basis of type, pest type, application, and region. By type, the market is categorized into chemical, mechanical, biological, and others. Depending on pest type, it is classified into insects, termites, rodents, and others. On the basis of application, it is divided into commercial, residential, agriculture, industrial, and others. Region wise, it is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
Based on type, the global pest control market is segmented into chemical, mechanical, biological, and others. The chemical segment was the largest contributor to the global market, accounting for more than one-third of the total share in 2019.
Based on pest type, the global market is segmented into insects, termites, rodents, and others. The insects segment was the largest contributor to the global market, accounting for more than two-fifth of the total share in 2019.
Based on application, the global market is segment into commercial, residential, agriculture, industrial, and others. The commercial segment was the largest contributor to the global market, accounting for more than four-fifth of the total share in 2019.
Based on region, the North America pest control market size accounted for largest share in 2019 and is predicted to dominate the market in the forecast period.
The key players operating in the global pest control market include Anticimex, BASF SE, Bayer AG, Cleankill Pest Control, Dodson Pest Control Inc., Eastern Pest Control, Eco Environmental Services Ltd., Ecolab, FMC Corporation, JG Pest Control, Lindsey Pest Services, NBC Environment, Rentokil Initial plc, Rollins Inc., Syngenta, and The Service Master Global Holdings Inc.
Key findings of the study
- North America accounted for the largest pest control market share in 2019 and is predicted to grow with CAGR of 3.7% in the forecast period.
- By type, the chemical segment holds the largest market share in 2019 and is predicted to grow with CAGR of 4.8%.
- By pest type, the insects segment is anticipated to witness the highest CAGR in terms of revenue, during the forecast period.
- By application, the commercial segment holds the largest market share in 2019, while the device and agriculture segment is anticipated to witness the highest growth rate in terms of revenue, during the forecast period.
Impact Of Covid-19 On The Global Pest Control Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected the global economy and subsequent shrinking of the GDP in global economies, thereby changing consumer spending patterns globally.
- However, global pest control market witnessed a mix effect due to COVID-19 pandemic. COVID-19 pandemic has put forward new challenges as well as new opportunity for the key players in the market. There was variation in company business; however, key players operating in the pest control service witnessed overall improvement in the business, owing to regions that were affected severely by coronavirus.
- Increase in the business was mainly attributed due to change in market dynamics and support from governmental body that have started offering subsidies to the pest control market key players.
- Companies that offer pest control services such as disinfection and purification witnessed rise in the business, owing to increase in preference among people in territories such as Europe and South Africa. Recently, there is rise in dengue fever in South East Asia, coupled with COVID-19 infection people are inclined toward pest control services for controlling the growth of mosquitoes. In addition, the pest control market is denoted as an essential industry, owing to efforts put forward by Australian Environmental Pest Managers Association (AEPMA) for development and enhancement of the industry during the pandemic situation.
- Moreover, AEPMA has supported local key players in their region by conducting Code of Best Practice for disinfection, which is linked to the supply of pest control services across Australian region. To cope up their pest control business, several key players in the market are following various business strategies such as product launch, key expansions, collaborations, and acquisition to enhance their business and overcome their business in the pandemic. For instance, in November 2020, Syngenta launched a new insecticide known as Spiropidion. It is an innovative pest control product that can be used to protect crops from wide array of sucking pests. This product launch has benefited farmers with new pest control product that helps target and damage most damaging sucking pest growth.