The railway overhead conductor wire is used to run electric trains. It is used to transmit electricity to the running trams and trains. The feeder stations of these overhead conductors take electricity from nearest high voltage grid of electricity and via the wires & transformer send it to the trains. The electric trains use devices such as trolley poles, bow collectors, or pantographs to collect current from overhead lines. These current collecting devices are conductive electrically and allows the passing through of current through tram or train and then back again through the steel wheels to the feeder station on one or both running rails. Moreover, the overhead conductor wires need to be both strong and have good conductivity it is a multi-strand wire with 19 strands in each wire made of copper, aluminum, or steel. Furthermore, all the 19 strands could be of the same metal, or some strands could be of steel for strength with the remaining strands of aluminum or copper for conductivity. In addition, the conductor wires are kept with mechanical tension using weights since the pantograph causes mechanical oscillations in the wire and the wave must travel faster than the train to avoid producing standing waves that would cause wire breakage.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- Due to COVID-19, the government across all countries declared lockdown and various other restrictions. The lockdown on the rail industry had disrupted the work of building railroads, setting up railway overhead conductors and the demand for transportation via railway had also fallen. Moreover, due to social distancing norms and other restrictions led to the unavailability of labor for working at the rail lines which further delayed the process. Thus, affecting the demand and supply for railway overhead conductors. Furthermore, components required for setting up of railway overhead conductors were also unavailable which disrupted the whole operation. Railways is an evolving sector, but pandemic had a negative impact on railway thus, further affecting the railway overhead conductors market.
Top Impacting Factors
Rise in high-speed rail network, increase in demand of electric rail projects, and surge in railway development are expected to drive growth of the market.
However, high capital investment& maintenance cost and disruption in electricity can hamper growth of the market.
Moreover, rise in demand for eco-friendly energy efficient transport, surge in use of railway for travelling, and increase in demand for safe & secure transport system act as an opportunity for growth of the market.
- Railway has proven to be the safest and secure mode of transportation. Thus, various developing countries such as India, China, Japan, and others have increased their investment towards the development of their railways.
- For instance, Alstom to supply 5 additional Citadis trams to Bordeaux Metropole for a total amount of approximately USD 17.3 million in 2018. This order comes in addition to a tranche of 25 trams currently being manufactured on Alstom's site in La Rochelle.
- The European Commission approved and announced NKT Cables acquisition of ABB’s high-voltage cables business in 2017. This acquisition is likely to be a strong move to cater to the demands of the rail industry. Furthermore, in 2020 Canadian National Railway (CN) planned to invest $2.92 billion in the development of their railway infrastructure in which $445 million in British Columbia, Alberta $305 million, Saskatchewan $105 million, and in various other areas. All these initiatives for railway development are expected to boost the railway overhead conductor market.
Key Benefits of the Report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the railway overhead conductors market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with challenges of the railway overhead conductors market.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the railway overhead conductor market scenario.
- The report provides detailed railway overhead conductors market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in the Report
- Which are the leading market players active in the railway overhead conductors market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the market?
- What current trends would influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the railway overhead conductors market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Railway Overhead Conductors Market Report Highlights
By End Users
Key Market Players
Eland Cables, Rhomberg Rail, TE Connectivity, Alstom, Kummler+Matter AG, Jiangyin Electrical Alloy, NKT Cables, La Farga, Siemens Mobility, Lamfil NV