Roofing underlayment is a water-resistant material that is placed between the shingles and roof sheathing. It is installed directly on the roof which acts as a secondary layer of protection. It protects the building from rain, wind, and snow. This material is available in three categories—asphalt-saturated felt, rubberized asphalt, and non-bitumen synthetic. Asphalt-saturated felt underlayment consists of fiber glass or organic substrate and is widely used by residential roofers. Non-bitumen synthetic is made of long-lasting polymers. These are used to ensure enhanced water- resistance, as they provide strength, longevity, and are moisture-resistant, durable, and faster to install. Rubberized asphalt underlayment is made of rubber-like material and has adhesive on one side which makes them self-adhering. These may be formulated to be used in high-temperature situations without degradation of the adhesive.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- COVID-19 pandemic has shut down the production of roofing underlayment attributed to the lockdown in countries worldwide this has hampered the growth of roofing underlayment from the last few months and is likely to grow in 2021.
- COVID -19 has already affected the sales of roofing underlayment in the second and third quarter of 2020 and is anticipated to grow in year 2021.
- The major demand for roofing underlayment was previously noticed from countries including the U.S., Germany, UK, and China which are negatively affected by the spread of the coronavirus thereby declining the demand for roofing underlayment.
- Further potential impact of the lockdown is currently vague and financial recovery of companies is totally based on its cash reserves roofing underlayment manufacturers can afford a full lockdown only for a few months after which the players have to modify their investment plans. For instance, various players in the market halted their production activities for several weeks to reduce the expenses. Whereas few players also adopted employee lay-offs to sustain during the COVID -19 health crisis.
- Roofing underlayment manufacturers are expected to focus on protecting their workforce operations and supply chains to respond to ward immediate crisis and find new ways of working after COVID -19 for instance provision of sanitizers maintaining social distancing as well as ensuring the vaccination of every employee in the company can assist in promoting the health and safety of the workforce.
Top Impacting Factors
Roofing underlayment is used in residential, non-residential, and commercial constructions. There is an increase in the construction activities due to the urbanization and expansion of residential buildings as well as commercial buildings, which drives the growth of the roofing underlayment market. The non-residential construction sector is predicted to experience growth due to an increase in investment in the healthcare sector, public infrastructure in various economies, and corporate relocations. Emerging economies in the Asia-Pacific region are expected to register high growth in the construction industry. For example, in India, the introduction of schemes such as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), and Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana and the development of smart cities has led to an increase in construction activities, hence uplifting the demand for roofing underlayment. Shortage of labor, restrictions in movement of people, and disruptions in construction activities owing to the lockdown imposed by the government to control the spread of COVID-19 limit the growth of the roofing underlayment market.
- The roofing underlayment market is anticipated to experience growth due to growth in residential construction, and public construction in Germany.
- In June 2018, Atlas Roofing Corp., one of the leading players in the market, collaborated with HOVER, a platform that makes 3D models of any property, to increase flexibility of its customer base.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the roofing underlayment along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the roofing underlayment market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the roofing underlayment market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed roofing underlayment market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years
Roofing Underlay Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
Carlisle Companies Inc.,, Atlas Roofing Corp.,, Owens Corning,, IKO Industries Ltd.,, DuPont de Nemours, Inc.,, Braas Monier Building Group, GCP Applied Technologies, Inc.,