Self-heating food packaging is the packaging system, which has the ability to heat the food materials without any external heat source. The self-heating food packaging uses the exothermic reaction as the heat source. The self-heating food packaging has two chambers that is for heating unit and for storing food & beverages. The heating unit is activated by pressing the button outside the packaging. The exothermic chemical reaction uses quicklime and water to generate heat. The self-heating food packaging is mostly used by military personnel, site engineers, and the mountaineers where the conventional cooking is not available. The self-heating food packaging is gaining popularity among the parents who has to travel a long distances with their babies and other daily life applications.
COVID-19 scenario analysis:
- The demand for the self-heating food packaging is expected to decrease in 2020 due to lockdown imposed by the government and low demand from food & beverages industry.
- COVID-19 crisis is likely to affect the self-heating food packaging industry negatively, as a result of halted manufacturing and massive reduction in demand for luxury and non-essential services globally.
- COVID-19 crisis had a mixed impact on the packaging industry, mainly due to closure of physical retail stores globally. However, the availability of online retailing has absorbed the high impact of this shutdown.
- The requirement of eCommerce specific packaging is likely to remain strong, although the ecommerce companies would have to focus on protection of goods and sanitization of packages.
- In addition, the food packaging industry is on the frontline within the global packaging market, owing to the demand for essential products such as groceries and fresh food mainly from local e-retail sites.
- Industrial, transportation, and bulk packaging has faced a sharp decline, owing to decreased demand for non-essential goods during the first two quarters of 2020.
- Owing to the lowered disposable income of maximum population and weak demand for packaging from industrial goods, the packaging industry might face significant pressure of reduction in both wholesale as well as retail costs.
- Consumers are likely to stay hesitant for consumption of luxury products, travel, and hospitality services, which is expected to hinder the packaging industry growth in the future after the COVID-19 crisis.
Top impacting factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends , Drivers and Impact Analysis
The increase in consumption of food and beverages and the changing lifestyle of the customers across the globe act as the growth driver for the self-heating food packaging market. The rise in demand for the ready-made food & beverages such as soups, tea, and noodles has created a demand for self-heating food packaging. The new technological advancement in the packaging of the food products such as embedding sensors, self-heating containers, temperature indicators by the manufacturers is expected to boost the self-heating food packaging market. Moreover, the self-heating food packaging offers several benefits such as instant use, long shelf life for food products, energy efficiency, and integrated packaging solution. These benefits are expected to the boost the growth of the self-heating food packaging market. The changes in consumer preferences, rise in investment in R&D and advent of new self-heating technologies drives the market of the self-heating food packaging market. The increase in awareness about the functionality of benefits of the self-heating food packaging products is further expected to fuel the self-heating food packaging market growth. However, the use of chemicals for heat source and government stringent regulation on the environment pollution is expected to hamper the growth of the self-heating food packaging market. Contrarily, the advancements of technology in self-heating and the alternate substitute to the chemical heat source provide new pathways in the self-heating food packaging market.
New product launches to flourish the market
The launch of new generation technologically advanced products can boost the growth of the market. In the past few years, many such products having unique features were launched in the market. In August 2018, one of the global leaders in self-heating food packaging named 42 degrees company had launched an innovative self-heating coffee cans. The company is based in Valladolid, Spain. It generally provides ready-made food & beverages products for the emergency services. The self-heating coffee can increases the temperature of the coffee content in just 3 minutes with a heating temperature of 45 degree Celsius. The company has also launched self-heating cans for the beverages like chocolate, chai latte, and liquid foods.
High demand from applications :
The self-heating food packaging are used in various application such as in military, mountaineers, field engineers and others where the conventional cooking is unavailable. The military personnel uses the flameless ration self-heating container that has an inbuilt water activated exothermic heater for cooking of meals such as meats and other foods. The flameless ration self-heating container raises the temperature of the contents and instantly provides heat to the food within 12 minutes. The heat sources produced in this food packaging is from the exothermic reaction of magnesium metal and water. Further, the heatgenie technology is one of the popular technology in self-heating food packaging. The heatgenie is a normal heat source in the food packaging which is very modular covering 1 oz of the total container volume. The heat is produced from the aluminum and silica element that combines to provide heat to the food contents. Moreover, the self-heating technology is used in heating of cold coffee into hot coffees instantly.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the self-heating food packaging market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the self-heating food packaging market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the self-heating food packaging market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed Market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Self-heating Food Packaging Market Report Highlights
By Packaging Type
By Industry Vertical
Key Market Players
Kemira Inc, Ontech operations Inc., HeatGen LLC, Heat Food & Drink Ltd., ScaldoPack, Luxfer Magtech Inc, Tempra Technology Inc., The 42 Degrees Company, Com-Pac International, LMK Thermosafe