Severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID) is a set of rare disorders caused by various gene mutations. These genes are responsible for the development and functioning of the immune system. SCID is usually life-threatening in the first two years of a child’s life. Immune restoring treatments, such as gene therapy, hematopoietic stem cell therapy (HSCT or bone marrow transplant), and enzyme therapy, can be used to treat these conditions. Among these, HSCT is proven to be the only treatment that entirely cures SCID in babies. Nevertheless, new medicines for the treatment of this condition are being introduced regularly. Gene therapy is still under experimentation and is only considered where bone marrow transplant is not advised for a patient.
SCID affects around 80% of infants who have no family history of the condition. Early detection or screening for SCID helps guarantee that newborns receive life-saving treatments. Adenosine deaminase severe combined immunodeficiency (ADA-SCID), commonly known as bubble syndrome, is a rare genetic condition caused by a mutation in the adenosine deaminase (ADA) gene.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments globally are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges.
Currently, about 115 vaccine samples and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as Hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry is expected to witness a significant growth in the future owing to the demand for vaccine and treatment drugs for COVID-19. This in turn is expected to have a significant impact on the severe combined immunodeficiency market.
Top Impacting Factors
- The increase in awareness on the screening and diagnosis of the disorder is expected to boost the global severe combined immunodeficiency market.
- The availability of medications and immune-related treatments is expected to drive the global severe combined immunodeficiency market.
- Technological developments in screening techniques are projected to drive the global severe mixed immunodeficiency market during the forecast period.
- Moreover, the increase in demand for antibody infusion and bone marrow transplant for the treatment of children and the rise in adoption of stem cell therapy and gene therapy are also expected to propel the global severe combined immunodeficiency market.
- Continuous investment in research and development for the diagnosis and treatment especially in gene therapy is expected to fuel the global severe combined immunodeficiency market's expansion.
- High investments by key companies and government initiatives for R&D on the treatment of severe combined immunodeficiency are expected to drive the global severe combined immunodeficiency market during the forecast period.
- However, the global severe combined immunodeficiency market is hampered by limited awareness, low diagnostic or screening rates, and expensive treatment costs for this rare condition.
New Product Launches to Flourish Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Market
In November 2020, Mustang Bio Inc. partnered with Minaris Regenerative Medicine in an agreement for technology transfer and GMP production for research on MB-107 lentiviral gene therapy for X-linked severe combined immunodeficiency.
In March 2021, the innovative Genome Institute in collaboration with the University of California, Berkeley, and UC San Francisco received FDA approval for a CRISPR test to correct genetic defects associated with sickle cell disease.
In April 2021, Bioverge Inc. announced the launch of an equity crowd funding platform, Bioverge Portal, for investments in treatments from private healthcare start-ups, via professional healthcare investors.
Key Benefits of Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the severe combined immunodeficiency along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the severe combined immunodeficiency market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the severe combined immunodeficiency market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed severe combined immunodeficiency market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Market Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the severe combined immunodeficiency market?
- What current trends will influence the severe combined immunodeficiency market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the severe combined immunodeficiency market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is severe combined immunodeficiency?
- What is the severe combined immunodeficiency market prediction for the future?
- Who are the leading global players in the severe combined immunodeficiency market?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
- What are the key benefits of the severe combined immunodeficiency market report?
Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Market Report Highlights
By Disease Type
By End User
Key Market Players
Shire Plc, Grifols S.A., Octapharma AG, Kedrion Biopharma Inc., CSL Behring, China Biologic Products Holdings Inc., Baxter International Inc., LFB S.A., Sanquin, Biotest AG