Ship-to-Shore Cranes Market Outlook – 2030
Increase in number of ports has increased the number of ship-to-shore (STS) cranes installed since they help in fast container movement. This development has risen after the expansion of the Panama Canal. Additionally, rising use of large-sized vessels, such as Panamax and Post-Panamax ships, requires STS cranes with extended outreach. This factor will further aid the demand for STS cranes. A major factor driving the container crane market is the progress of the marine sector. These advances are mainly reflected in the field of trade through ships, merchant ships and other types of ships. Use of large-sized ship vessels by major transport lines is growing, which, in turn, is driving the expansion of deep inland waterways for better accommodation of these ships. As a result, ports are forced to invest in high-capacity equipment to help load and unload containers from these ships. Port authorities in the Asia-Pacific region have undertaken various large-scale port infrastructure development projects. Electric ship-to-shore cranes are expected to contribute to market growth, especially in developed regions such as Europe and North America. The strict regulations imposed by the governments of these regions have allowed the adoption of electric STS cranes. For example, in Europe, regulations on port emissions are expected to facilitate the installation of electric STS cranes in the next few years. These cranes do not need to use traditional diesel engines, thereby helping port authorities to save costs, thereby reducing maintenance costs.
Market scope and structure analysis:
Market size available for years
Base year considered
Power Supply, Outreach, Lifting Capacity, and Region
North America (U.S., Canada and Mexico), Europe (Germany, U.K, France, Russia and rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea and rest of Asia-Pacific), LAMEA (Latin America, Middle East and Africa)
Shanghai Zhenhua Heavy Industries Co., Ltd., Konecranes, Kalmar, Noell Crane Systems (China) Limited, Kranunion GmbH, Liebherr-International AG, Wison Group, SANY Group Co., Ltd., MAC PORT Macchine Operatrici Portuali s.r.l, and Anupam Industries Limited.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
The global market for ship-to-shore cranes is severely impacted by the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. The COVID-19 pandemic saw a decline in the economic growth in almost all the major countries, thus affecting consumer spending patterns. Owing to the lockdown implemented across various countries, national and international transport have been hampered, which has significantly impacted the supply chain of numerous industries across the globe, thereby increasing the supply–demand gap. Thus, insufficiency in raw material supply is expected to hamper the production rate of ship-to-shore cranes, which negatively impact the market growth. However, this situation is expected to improve as government has started relaxing norms around the world for resuming business activities.
Top Impacting Factor
- Increased sizes of vessels and steady container traffic, technological development and innovation, and rapid industrialization and urbanization are driving the growth of the market.
- High installation cost, maintenance cost, lack of availability of components and equipment required to set up cranes in remote and underdeveloped regions is expected to hamper the growth of the market.
- Port authorities in Asia Pacific region have undertaken various large scale port infrastructure developments projects, modernization of existing STS cranes and ports can be seen as an opportunity for the market investments.
The ship-to-shore (STS) cranes market trends are as follows:
Technological development and innovation
Technological development, such as automation and external control of STS cranes via joystick or remote computers. They also allow the regulator to monitor crane process without visual distortion caused by rain, wind or fog. Furthermore, in June 2020, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), and Sandia National Laboratories (SNL) in collaboration developed a Marine and Hydrokinetic Toolkit (MHKiT) launched open-source software. The technology development also provides driver safety and increases operational efficiency. Moreover, automation helps optimize power intake, which helps curb noise and emissions of the cranes. Thus, technological development and innovation will help to grow market of ship-to-shore cranes market.
Rapid industrialization and urbanization
The rapid industrialization and urbanization of advanced and emerging economies have led to an increase in maritime transportation. According to data from the United Nations (UN), it is estimated that by 2050, approximately 68% of the world's population will live in urban areas, compared with 751 million in 1950. Hence, these factors are expected to propel the global ship-to-shares cranes market growth over the forecast period.
Key segments covered:
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the ship-to-shore crane market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with challenges of the ship-to-shore crane market.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed from 2020 to 2028 to highlight the ship-to-shore crane market growth scenario.
- The report provides a detailed ship-to-shore crane market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the ship-to-shore crane market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the ship-to-shore crane market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the market?
- What current trends would influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the ship-to-shore crane market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Ship-to-Shore Cranes Market Report Highlights
By Power Supply
By Lifting Capacity
Key Market Players
Kalmar, Noell Crane Systems (China) Limited, Liebherr-International AG, Wison Group, Kranunion GmbH, Anupam Industries Limited., SANY Group Co. Ltd., Konecranes, Shanghai Zhenhua Heavy Industries Co. Ltd., MAC PORT Macchine Operatrici Portuali s.r.l