Small hydro is the development of hydroelectric power on a small scale to serve a local area or industrial plant. The definition of a small hydro project varies, but a general producing capacity of up to 25 megawatts (MW) is generally accepted as the upper limit of what is considered as small hydro. As the hydroelectric power plants are located at the top, they convert the expected water energy into electrical energy. The absolute power generated by hydroelectric power plants is determined by the head of water and volume of water flowing toward the water turbine. Small hydropower uses the flow of water to turn a turbine which is connected to a generator, to generate electricity
COVID-19 Impact analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic is expected to have an adverse effect on the overall growth of the small hydropower market globally. The transportation of raw materials and components was severely hampered due to strict lockdown measures imposed by the governments in the second quarter of 2020.
- The repair and maintenance of existing projects as well as the construction of new projects are anticipated to experience delays due to the COVID-19 situation.
- Expected investment plans in small hydropower projects have been severely hampered in 2020, due to the unpredictable market and fluctuation in the global economy and raw materials prices. While the global demand for renewable energy is expected to remain high.
Top Impacting Factors
Primary energy consumption has increased globally in recent years owing to rapid industrialization and urbanization. Petroleum derivatives such as oil, gas, and coal are utilized in power generation. The depletion of crude oil reserves combined with an increase in GHG emissions, has impelled the demand for clean energy assets, such as small hydropower. A small hydropower plant is an environmental-friendly, reliable, practical, and sustainable source of energy. An increase in the use of small hydropower and other renewable energy sources is estimated to significantly reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Thus, an increase in the demand for renewable energy is projected to drive the growth of the small hydropower market during the forecast period. Experts are focusing on rural and remote areas to supply electricity with rise in industrialization in BRICS countries. The inability to supply energy in rural and remote areas attributing to grid unavailability is expected to boost the growth of the small hydropower market. Restricted access to information about resource-rich areas is projected to hinder small hydropower development. Moreover, the size and flow of small streams is projected to hamper future site extension as the power damage surges. This factor is expected to limit the market growth.
- Voith Hydro opened a branch office in Kathmandu, Nepal in September 2019. Voith Hydro, has been supplying hydropower equipment to Nepal since 1968, and this expansion has led to an increase in customer base and the provision of high- quality services.
- GE Renewable Energy began offering particular turbines of small hydropower in July 2019, following its new partnership with the energy. The small hydropower units were made available in 10 kW and 15 kW estimates and could be linked to provide arrangements up to 1 MW.
- Voith GmbH and Co. signed an agreement in June 2019, to design and assemble, and supply electromechanical equipment for the small hydropower plant Kabu 16 in Burundi, Africa. The organization is also anticipated to oversee the establishment and authorization of the plant.
- VolgaHydro, a subsidiary of Voith GmbH and Co., began construction on a new production plant in Balakovo, Russia, valued US$ 39.38 million in June 2019. The new plant is established to deliver and collect segments for hydropower plant turbines. The organization is likely to provide maintenance services and hardware to both small and large hydropower plants.
- Aquila Capital, a Germany-based enterprising firm, introduced its office in Oslo, Norway in January 2017. The initiation is required to facilitate speculation and executives exchange just as tasks in the hydropower area.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the small hydropower industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the small hydropower market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the growth scenario of the small hydropower market.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed small hydropower market analysis based on competitive intensity and the competition that will take shape in coming years
Small Hydropower Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
Alstom S.A., Voith GmbH, ANDRITZ HYDRO GmbH, Agder Energi AS, Fortum Oyj., BC Hydro, Alstom, Siemens AG, Ontario Power Generation Inc., StatKraft AS