Space Radar Market Outlook – 2027
Space Radar is a space-borne radar system that is integrated with spacecraft, aircraft, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) to provide real-time terrain and land cover information about the earth and planetary system. This system uses remote sensing technology that involves gathering information, observing, and monitoring ocean and land using sensors incorporated into airborne platforms.
Space based radar systems are integrated in satellites or spacecrafts and employs microwave illuminations, which keeps radar imaging unaffected, accurate with high resolution even in bad climatic conditions. These systems are able to acquire images of different strategic areas in complete darkness or worse weather conditions in the earth’s atmosphere and are only available to defense organizations, space and research agencies for further exploration.
These systems feature compact size, large extended life-span, and are much less susceptible to atmospheric effects as compared to ground-based infrared radars, hence enhancing product quality standards. Ongoing technological advancements in R&D to enhance quality of this system by incorporation of artificial intelligence implies that the space radar market share would undergo considerably high growth in the coming years.
The global space radar market is segmented on the basis of component, band, dimension, application, industry vertical and region. Based on component, the space radar market is divided into transmitter, receiver, antenna, duplexer, camera, and others. In terms of band, the market is bifurcated into single frequency band and multi frequency band. The single frequency band segment is further divided into X band, Ku band, S band, and L band.
On the basis of dimension, the market is categorized into 2D, 3D, and 4D. In terms of application, the market is divided into spacecraft, aircraft, and UAV. In terms of industry vertical, the market is segregated into aerospace & defense, and education & research. Geographically, the market is analyzed across several regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa (LAMEA).
Top Impacting Factors
Increase in satellite launches and ongoing space programs for environmental disaster and earth observation to pinpoint natural reservoirs or other environmental changes primarily drives the space radar market growth. However, high development cost with launch cost, issues of space deorbiting, and debris and small field of view of space radar systems tend to hinder the market growth.
On the other hand, rise in use of space radar systems for detection and tracking of aircraft, ocean-going vehicles, and potential land vehicles from space as well as for military surveillance to counter terrorism activities and provide real-time information further boosts the market revenue. Huge investments by governments and independent organizations in this sector and increase in R&D activities pave new avenues to the space radar industry.
New Product Launches to Flourish the Market
Global leading space radar market players adopt necessary steps to improve design, integration, and operation of highly efficient space-based radar devices and large antenna technology with extensive knowledge of astrodynamics, satellite orbit calculation, and propagation.
In May 2019, Indian Space Research Organization used PSLV-C46, a Polar satellite launch vehicle, to launch RISAT-2B, its third radar imaging satellite. RISAT-2B is an X-band synthetic aperture radar weighing about 615 kg that is able to look through clouds to observe Earth’s surface day and night. The images can be used for applications such as agriculture, disaster relief management, as well as for surveillance purposes. The advanced earth observation satellite with advanced technology of 3.6m radial rib antenna provides detailed images of earth’s surface with resolution of 1m as it orbits the earth at an altitude of 346 miles.
Surge in Use in Automotive and Industrial Applications
In April 2020, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, independent agency responsible for civilian space program, aeronautics and space research, launched CubeSat Imaging Radar for Earth Sciences (CIRES) to help decision-makers deal with disasters by giving earthquake and volcano warnings. The data from Inter-ferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) also help in identifying the location of the disaster.
NASA launched more than 1200 CubeSats in 2020 out of which 80 were destroyed during launch but more than 1100 are in orbit. These mini satellites are especially made for space research purposes. The new kind or radar of CIRES can sound alarm of an earthquake before the cataclysm hits. In addition InSAR can observe bulging phenomenon before any volcanic eruption as magma accumulates resulting in slight ground inflation and warns about a particular volcano erupting in the particular location.
COVID-19 Scenario Analysis
- The emergence of coronavirus has become a disastrous issue worldwide. There is a halt in production process, owing to the global lockdown scenario causing disruption in the overall supply chain of space radar systems. COVID-19 outbreak has also caused lag in meeting demands of end users as the epicentre of virus outbreak Wuhan, China accounts for the largest manufacturing items of electronic components.
- These space radar systems are incorporated in drones and unmanned vehicles to track and detect location of the virus outbreak and monitor and assist people in following lockdown restrictions and social distancing guidelines. Organizations have also installed radars to determine room occupancy with a view to maintain social distancing measures and monitor heartbeat rate of people in a room.
- The virus outbreak is anticipated to have slight negative impact on the space radar market, owing to unavailability of raw materials, halt in production operations in industries, and ban on transportation. Supportive government programs for space awareness and ongoing emergency services such as military surveillance and research activities are expected to drive the space radar market revenue.
Key Benefits of the Stakeholders
- The study gives an analytical overview of the space radar market forecast with current trends and future estimations to determine imminent investment pockets.
- The report provides information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed space radar market analysis.
- The current space radar market trends are quantitatively analysed.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
Questions Answered in the Space Radar Market Research Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the space radar market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the space radar market size?
- What current trends would influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Space Radar Market Report Highlights
By Industry Vertical
Key Market Players
Boeing, Aselsan Inc., Israel Aerospace Industries, Northrop Grumman, MDA Information Systems, Lockheed Martin Corp., Terma A/S, Airbus Group, Thales Group, Sandia National Laboratories