Starch-based plastic is being produced on laboratory scale using glycerol on aluminum foil, which is known as bioplastic starch. Starch-based bioplastics are blended with biodegradable polyesters to produce starch/polylactic acid and starch/polycaprolactone. These blends are used for industrial applications such as in food packaging. Moreover, starch is widely utilized in different end-user industries such as agriculture, packaging, and automotive, owing to its abundant availability, low cost, and inherent biodegradability. Starch-based bioplastic films are manufactured from modified starch, which are blended with natural and synthetic molecules.
The global starch-based plastic films is witnessing significant growth in the recent years, owing to enhanced usage of starch-based films as an alternative packaging material due to its barrier property such that it limits moisture transfer from the food to the atmosphere. Moreover, increase in adoption of starch-based plastic films, as these have less negative impact on environment as compared to traditional plastics in the packaging sector drives the growth of the market. Increase in investments and subsidies by the governments of developing nations for the use of biodegradable plastics to mitigate the disposal issues of conventional plastics are expected to have a positive impact on the market growth. However, increased raw materials prices and reliance on petroleum-based bioplastics restrain the market growth.
The report segments the market on the basis of application and geography. Applications covered in the study include packaging, agriculture, bottles, automotive products, consumer products, and others. Geographical breakdown of the market includes North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
Some of the key players in the global market include:
- Novamont SPA
- Metabolix Inc.
- BASF SE
- Natureworks LLC
- Corbion Purac
- Cardia Bioplastic
- Toray Industries Inc.
- Dow Plastics
- BioSphere Plastic LLP
- Solvay SA
- This report provides a quantitative analysis of the current trends and estimations from 2017 to 2023 of the global starch-based plastic films market to identify the prevailing market opportunities.
- Major countries in each region are mapped according to individual market revenue.
- Comprehensive analysis of factors that drive and restrict the market growth is provided.
- An in-depth analysis of current research & clinical developments within the market is provided.
- Key players and their key developments in the recent years are listed.
Starch-based Plastic Films Market Key Segments:
- Consumer Products
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA