Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2030:
Stem cell is an unspecialized cell that develops into specialized cell that makes up different types of tissue in the human body. They are characterized by the ability to renew themselves through mitotic cell division and differentiating into a diverse range of specialized cell types. They are vital to the development, growth, maintenance, and repair of brains, bones, muscles, nerves, blood, skin, and other organs. Stem cells are found in every human, from the early stages of development to the end of life. Stem cell research holds tremendous promise for the development of novel therapies for many serious diseases and injuries.
Stem cell-based treatments have been established as a clinical standard of care for some conditions, such as hematopoietic stem cell transplants for leukemia and epithelial stem cell-based treatments for burns and corneal disorders. The scope of potential stem cell-based therapies has expanded in recent years due to advances in stem cell research. People who might benefit from stem cell therapies include those with spinal cord injuries, type 1 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, heart disease, stroke, burns, cancer, and osteoarthritis.In the future, they may be used to replace cells and tissues that have been damaged or lost due to any disease.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in the Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
- Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry is expected to witness a significant growth in the future owing to the demand for vaccine and treatment drugs for COVID-19. This, in turn, is expected to have a significant impact on the stem cell manufacturing market.
- A majority of the companies developing products for stem cell manufacturing have a better response to staff disruptions and challenges emerging due to COVID-19. This includes nonessential staff working from home, while onsite or essential staff working in shifts with limited movement.
- In the case of R&D activities, clinical trials were affected as there were disruptions in the new enrollment of clinical trial participants and keeping the existing patients on therapies. However, researchers have been finding new therapies and treatments to deal with this pandemic. In the last few years, stem cells have proven to be an effective method to treat pulmonary disorders, including COVID-19.
- However, due to nationwide lockdown, denied wound care services, and canceled or postponed elective surgeries & treatments, the stem cell therapy market declined in 2020. This decline in the stem cell therapy market has negatively impacted the stem cell manufacturing market.
Top Impacting Factors
- A rising awareness among the masses about the potential of stem cell products in medical applications is primarily causing the global stem cell manufacturing market to pick up rampant pace. Simultaneously, extensive advancements are occurring in the field of stem cell research, and revolutionary techniques are being discovered almost every year. This has attracted a substantial number of people to work in this sector, consequently pushing the stem cell manufacturing market to gain boundless growth.
- However, high costs of research and manufacturing processes is restraining the market. Some regions depict the presence of stringent regulations when it comes to stem cell manufacturing, thus hindering the market expansion. Nevertheless, many businesses are focusing on developing cost-effective stem cell manufacturing processes, which is expected to reduce the impact of restraints in the upcoming years.
- Emerging countries (such as South Korea, India, and China) are supporting their respective domestic stem cell industries through various regulatory reforms aimed at aiding the commercialization and research related to stem cell therapy. Supportive regulatory frameworks across developing countries are expected to provide significant growth opportunities to local as well as international players in the stem cell manufacturing market in the next decade.
Stem cell manufacturing market is expected to gain market growth in the forecast period. The growth in awareness toward diseases such as cancer, hematopoietic disorders, and degenerative disorders is going to drive the growth of the market.
Increase in the R&D activities in pharmaceutical and biotechnology sector, stem cell therapy includes cell therapy and gene therapy along with animal biotechnology sector, for the production of better yield is likely to accelerate the growth of the stem cell manufacturing market during the forecast period.
In January 2021, Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired Henogen S.A., Novasep's viral vector manufacturing business to strengthen its capabilities for cell &gene vaccines and therapies globally.
In November 2020, Lonza Group AG signed an agreement with FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics. Under the agreement, Lonza granted FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics to expand use of its non-exclusive license to its innovative Nucleofector technology. Likewise, FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics granted Lonza a non-exclusive right to use its patents related to iPSC generation. This is expected to accelerate the development and manufacture of cell therapies.
In March 2020, Danaher acquired the Biopharma business from General Electric Company’s Life Sciences division and renamed it Cytiva.
In October 2019, Thermo Fisher Scientific launched Gibco BenchStable Media, which remains stable at room temperature and reduces reliance on cold storage.
Key Benefits of Report
- This report presents the detailed analytical depiction of the stem cell manufacturing market along with current trends, opportunities, and future estimates for the investment in market.
- The report presents information related to the key drivers, restraints, and new technological development in the stem cell manufacturing market.
- The current market is analyzed to emphasize the stem cell manufacturing market.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrate the potency of buyers and suppliers in market.
- The report provides detailed analysis of the stem cell manufacturing market based on market competition and how it will take shape in upcoming years.
Questions Answered in the Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Report
- What are stem cells?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in upcoming years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- Which are the leading players in the stem cell manufacturing market?
- What future projections will help in taking strategic steps in the future?
- Which are the major end user sector in stem cell manufacturing market?
- What is the major regional market in stem cell manufacturing market?
- What are the key benefits of this stem cell manufacturing market report?
Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Report Highlights
| Aspects || Details |
| By Product || |
- Culture Media
- Other Consumables
- Bioreactors and Incubators
- Cell Sorters
- Other Instruments
- Stem Cell Lines
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSC)
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSC)
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC)
- Embryonic stem Cells (ESC)
- Neural Stem Cells (NSC)
- Multipotent Adult Progenitor Stem Cells
| By Application || |
- Research Applications
- Life Science Research
- Drug Discovery and Development
- Clinical Application
- Allogenic Stem Cell Therapy
- Autologous Stem Cell Therapy
- Cell and Tissue Banking Applications
| By End User || |
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies
- Academic Institutes
- Research Laboratories and Contract Research Organizations
- Hospitals and Surgical Centers
- Cell and Tissue banks
| By Region || |
- North America (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Rest of Europe)
- Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Rest of Asia-Pacific)
- LAMEA (Brazil, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Rest of LAMEA)
| Key Market Players || Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., ANTEROGEN.CO. LTD., Astellas Pharma Inc., Merck KGaA, Thermo Fisher Scientific., FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics Inc., AbbVie Inc., Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, RHEACELL GmbH and Co. KG, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited |