Supercapacitor Industry Overview:
The global supercapacitor market is anticipated to account for $6.3 billion by 2022, growing at a CAGR of 28.7% from 2016 to 2022. Supercapacitors are electronic devices, which store 10‐100 times the power stored in a normal electrolytic capacitor. These capacitors are used for rapid charge and discharge, as they show zero resistance. They are positioned between capacitor and battery in electronic device taxonomy, and are used as supplements with traditional batteries. In addition, they are used for short-term backup supply, as the supercapacitor circuits help in uninterrupted power supply.
The global supercapacitors market is driven by factors such as growing applications of regenerative braking systems used in elevator and hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs), increase in demand for supercapacitors in energy harvesting applications (wind and solar energy), and use of supercapacitor in trains & aircrafts. However, lack of awareness about the usage of supercapacitors and low price of substitutes such as conventional batteries hinder the growth of the market. Several R&D programs are implemented to improve the manufacturing technology and materials for overall cost reduction.
Some of the major players that operate in the global supercapacitors market are Maxwell Technologies, Nippon Chemi-Con Corp., Panasonic Corporation, Ioxus Inc., LS Mtron, Nesscap Co., Ltd, NEC TOKIN Corporation, Elna Co. Ltd, Seiko Instruments Inc., and KORCHIP Corporation.
The market is segmented based on module type, application, and geography:
Rise in applications of supercapacitors in automobiles and elevators
In elevators, the energy lost while braking is stored in the supercapacitor that is supplied back to the power grid of the building. Electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) use supercapacitor to store the energy lost while braking. Increase in popularity of of EVs, HEVs, and the start‐stop (zero engine idling) applications to control pollution and to reduce the operating cost of vehicles is one of the major factors that drive the growth of supercapacitor market in automotive industry.
Increase in demand for supercapacitors in renewable energy storage solutions
The applications of supercapacitors in renewable energy sector has significantly increased, owing to their extended functional life. In the wind energy system, supercapacitors control the pitch, and manage emergency power needed in the pitch control system. In the solar energy storage system, integration of batteries and supercapacitors into a hybrid energy storage system (HESS) boosts the power density of the overall system. Moreover, operating the supercapacitors under high power conditions lessens the strain of large current extraction from the battery bank. Use of supercapacitor bank also optimizes the photovoltaic system to prevent excessive battery storage, thus increasing the demand for supercapacitors in renewable energy storage solutions.
Top Winning Strategies
Prominent market players have adopted product launch as their key strategy, followed by agreements and partnerships. Major product launches of supercapacitors were related to products which have higher efficiency and wider scope of application.
SUPERCAPACITOR MARKET KEY BENEFITS
- This report provides an extensive analysis of the current & emerging market trends and dynamics in the global supercapacitor market.
- In-depth analysis is done in this report by constructing market estimations for the key market segments between 2014 and 2022.
- Comprehensive analysis of factors that drive and restrict the growth of the global market is provided.
- This report entails the detailed quantitative analysis of the current trends and future estimations from 2014 to 2022, which assists to identify the prevailing market opportunities.
- Exhaustive analysis of the global supercapacitor market by type helps to understand the types of supercapacitor that are currently used along with the variants that are expected to gain prominence in the future.
- SWOT analysis highlights the internal environment of the leading companies for effective strategy formulation.
- Competitive intelligence (of leading manufacturers and distributors of supercapacitor) helps to understand the competitive scenario across the geographies.
SUPERCAPACITOR MARKET KEY SEGMENTATION
By Material Type
- Less than 10 Volts Modules
- 10- 25 Volts Modules
- 25-50 Volts Modules
- 50-100 Volts Modules
- Above 100 Volts Modules
By Industry Application
- Mining Equipment
- Smart Grid
- Energy Harvesting
- Nonvolatile RAM
- Solid-State Disk Drive
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Hong Kong
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East
- Elna Co. Ltd
- KORCHIP Corporation
- LS Mtron, Nesscap Co., Ltd
- Maxwell Technologies
- NEC TOKIN Corporation
- Nippon Chemi-Con Corp.
- Panasonic Corporation, Ioxus Inc.
- Seiko Instruments Inc.