Surgical Site Infection Control Market Outlook - 2027
Surgical site infection (SSI) refers to infections that prevail post-surgery, usually, in the body part where the surgery has been performed. These infection are a result of entry of harmful bacteria via an incision or cut made during the surgical procedure. Surgical site infections are of deep incisional, superficial, or organ related nature. Other surgical infections that infect tissues located under the skin layer, organs, or even under the implanted material are more threatening and possess the potential to develop into fatal unfortunate conditions if not dealt with properly. Although, with use of certain specially designed equipment, accessories that have undergone cleansing and sterilization, the incidence of these infections can be avoided. This avoidance consists of implementation of numerous protocols and guidelines aiding in prevention of potentially fatal events. These infection control agents are clinical in prevention and control of contamination as it kills microorganisms, bacteria and pathogens. Infection control supplies owing to their benefits are extensively implemented for efficient management of safety in healthcare facilities.
COVID – 19 scenario analysis:
- The COVID-19 pandemic has emerged as a humanitarian as well as economic crisis, creating strain on the society and affecting millions of people and businesses
- Industry closures and people are asked to stay in their homes which has cause taken a huge toll in terms of money and economic growth
- Over 4 million people affected globally, with 300 thousand losing their lives due to SARS-CoV-2
- Healthcare organizations are already working in battle mode, preparing new plans to respond growing COVID-19 patients, right from sourcing rapid diagnosing kits to sufficient PPE kits for workers
- Due to diversion of medical field towards treating COVID-19, the funding to R&D activities related to surgical site infection control agents has been reduced coupled with reduction in number of surgeries and this segment have to face negligence subsequently causing negative impact on surgical site infection control market to a certain extent
Top impacting factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Drivers and Impact Analysis
The surgical site infection control market is expected to witness robust growth in the near future pertaining to factors including mounting prevalence of several chronic diseases such as cancer, coronary heart diseases, cardiovascular diseases, chronic kidney ailments resulting in rising number of surgical interventions, increasing awareness regarding infection control measures, increasing concern about hospital acquired infections along with rising incidences of hospital-acquired infections and many others. The growth in aging population coupled increasing fatalities with several diseases around the world, would augment the demand for surgical site infection control, in the global market. Factors such as sedentary and lethargic lifestyle coupled with unhygienic conditions will surge the global disease burden. The high susceptibility of aging population is highly related with acquiring of infectious diseases due to weak immune system owing to less physical activity. As per WHO, 7% of hospitalized patients in developed countries and 10% patients in the developing countries are expected to get infected by some healthcare associated infection. Moreover, the virulent nature of the infectious agent, low patient susceptibility, presence of several other diseases, contaminating factors like infected materials as well as bacterial burden are among the many other factors that will boost the market growth for surgical site infection control.
On the contrary, lack of awareness regarding infection control measures, availability of prevention control for surgical site infection may impede the market growth. Furthermore, shifting trend and growing adoption of outpatient treatment would further restrain the surgical site infection control market.
Increasing awareness regarding surgical site infection control owing to supportive initiates by the government organizations in collaboration with private entities and development of several standard protocols for prevention and proper management of these infections across various geographies would offer lucrative growth opportunities for surgical site infection control market.
Increasing number of hospitals and growing number of surgeries to drive the market
The number of hospitals, surgical centers, and clinics is rising day by day. In a study conducted regarding the expenditure on healthcare globally was 10.4% of total GDP was spent on healthcare and this number would go on increasing with 10.5% spent in 2020. The rising number of hospitals is majorly seen in developing economies like India and China. This increase in number of hospitals and increasing surgical and non-surgical treatments would surge the demand for infection control supplies as they are required for proper sterilization and disinfection thus, fueling market growth surgical site infection control. The number of surgeries is also increasing at significant pace owing to rise in global prevalence of several potentially fatal, chronic ailments that require surgical interventions in therapeutics. Thus, this growing sector will also produce contaminants such as microorganisms, bacteria and pathogens, which would further surge the incidences of surgical site infection need to be controlled via infection control supplies. Such factors will in turn stimulate the market growth.
Rising incidences of hospital acquired infection to promote the growth
Owing to rising incidences of hospital acquired infections, increasing demand for efficient management of disinfections and sterilizations in healthcare settings and growing acceptance of central sterile supply department (CSSD) in healthcare settings would foster the market development. These infections include several complications such as hospital-acquired pneumonia, surgical site infections, bloodstream infections and urinary tract infections among others. The U.S. health agency, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) studies stated that hospital-acquired infections affect approximately 1.7 million people and accounts for 99,000 deaths annually in America. Furthermore, WHO report highlights that surgical site infections being one of the frequent healthcare-related infections, especially in under-developed and developing countries, can affect one-third of patients undergone surgery. These factors are vital in fuelling the demand for surgical site infection control market in the near future.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global surgical site infection control market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global surgical site infection control market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global surgical site infection control market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed global market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the Surgical Site Infection Control Market research report:
- What are the leading market players active in the surgical site infection control market?
- What the current trends will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Surgical Site Infection Control Market Report Highlights
By Product Tyep
By Infection Type
By Surgery Type
By End User
Key Market Players
American Polyfilm, Pacon Manufacturing, Johnson & Johnson, 3M Company, Biomerieux, Belimed., Kimberly-Clark, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Getinge AB, Steris