Surgical tourniquet is a compressive device that occludes blood flow to the limbs; this helps decrease perioperative blood loss and creates a bloodless surgical field. Surgical tourniquet is safely and routinely used in limb surgeries worldwide. Its most common applications are found to be in plastic and orthopedic surgeries. In addition, it is used for Bier's block (intravenous regional anesthesia) that helps prevent the central spread of local anesthetics. The five basic components of a surgical tourniquet are an inflatable cup, a compressed gas source, a pressure regulator, a pressure display, and connection tubing. The pressure to which the tourniquet cuff should be inflated depends upon the patient's skin, age, shape & size of the extremity, and blood pressure.
Impact of COVID-19 on the Medical Device Market
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in the Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
Increase has been witnessed in the demand for medical supplies to take care of the infected population. Respiratory support devices such as atomizers, life support machines, oxygen generators, and monitors are among the majorly used medical devices in primary clinical treatment. Moreover, COVID-19 has led to a huge surge in demand for medical supplies such as personal protective equipment, including masks, gloves, and protective eyeglasses. The need for medical supplies increased among both from healthcare professionals and the civil population for precautionary measures, owing to rise in the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide. Manufacturers of these products have a chance to capitalize on this increased demand for medical supplies to ensure an adequate and continuous supply of personal protective equipment in the market. Therefore, COVID 19 is expected to have a significant impact on the surgical tourniquets market.
Top Impacting Factors
Surgical tourniquets are often required whenever there is a medical surgery being performed. Hence, rise in the global population can be expected to increase the surgical tourniquets market size. Rise in incidence of falls, road accidents, or industrial accidents boosts the demand for surgical tourniquets.
Road accidents are one of the leading causes of death worldwide. In addition, road safety laws are not well-defined in regions such as the Middle East, North Africa, and Latin America, which is why the market is anticipated to grow in these regions. These regions are known to have fewer stringent laws against road safety, as compared to the developed nations. This factor can increase the risk of commuting by road, which, in turn, propels the growth of the market.
However, there are a few factors that pose a challenge for surgical tourniquet' market growth such as infections spreading through reusable surgical tourniquets cuffs that are not sterilized properly. In addition, the use of disposable surgical tourniquets can impose the hospitals and medical practitioners to bear increased costs, thereby hampering the market growth.
Key Market Trends
The surgical tourniquets systems segment dominated the market in 2019. Surgical tourniquet systems help control limb occlusion pressure through an automatic electrical system, which helps create a bloodless field during orthopedic surgeries.
In 2018, the largest share of the surgical tourniquets market was held by the U.S. for trauma centers and hospitals. This is attributed to rise in the number of emergency procedures that need surgical tourniquets to control bleedings in the victims of accidents.
At present, North America is the largest surgical tourniquets market. This is attributed to the fact that North America has the world's highest automobile density and developed infrastructure such as four-lane highways, which enable the population to travel at a greater speed, thus resulting in a large number of traumatic injuries due to road accidents.
However, Asia-Pacific is anticipated to record the highest surgical tourniquets market during the forecast period, due to increase in disposable income among the middle-class population. Rise in income will help the population afford personal vehicles. Moreover, surge in population in this region along with rise in number of pathological laboratories and hospitals helps the surgical tourniquets market to grow at a significant rate.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the surgical tourniquets industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the surgical tourniquets market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the surgical tourniquets market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the surgical tourniquets market .
- The report provides a detailed market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years
Questions Answered in the Global Surgical Tourniquets Market Report
- Which are the leading players active in the surgical tourniquets market?
- How is each segment of the market expected to grow ?
- What are the adoption trends for surgical tourniquets in emerging economies and established economies across the world?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What are surgical tourniquets?
- What is surgical tourniquets market prediction in the future?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
Surgical Tourniquets Market Report Highlights
By End User
Key Market Players
Ulrich Medical, Changzhou Yanling, Delfi Medical Innovation, Inc., Zimmer Biomet, Stryker Corporation, Beijing Jinxinxing, Beijing Xintian, Hammarplast Medical AB, Hangzhou Keyu, Anetic Aid