Synthetic gypsum materials are byproducts that are produced during industrial processing similar to the flue gas desulfurization process or the scrubbing process in fossil-fueled power plants. Synthetic gypsum contains hydrated calcium sulfate and has similar properties such as natural gypsum. It can replace natural gypsum for various applications such as glass, drywall, cement manufacturing, and more. It is produced from the waste generated in a fossil-fueled power plant, which makes it economical to produce and it does not create any negative effects on the environment. Thus, synthetic gypsum is more beneficial than natural gypsum due to factors such as cost and environmental impact. Synthetic gypsum materials are majorly used in construction and agriculture industries. In the construction industry, they are used as wallboard that can turn into a hardened form of cement. In the agriculture industry, these materials are used as natural aerators and help in the agglomeration of soil particles.
COVID-19 scenario analysis:
- Coronavirus has affected the import and export of construction materials. China is the largest exporter of construction materials globally. Negative trends in the economy of China are anticipated to reduce the global import and export across the globe.
- Demand for new construction materials has witnessed a massive negative shift since the coronavirus outbreak in December 2019, with manufactures and investors fearing an excessively receding economic growth.
- Travel prohibitions around the globe have affected the trade of construction materials. Thus, the supply and demand for construction materials are almost halted across the globe.
- Construction material manufacturing companies located in China are the major sufferers of the outbreak, owing to lockdown and unavailability of logistics in the region.
- The major hindrance for the global construction materials market comes from the orders of home quarantine by respective governments, which led to the discontinuing of production of construction materials.
- Decreased consumer demand and consumption has led to reduction and slow down of sales of construction materials across the globe over the course of the current economic year. Therefore, the synthetic gypsum market is expected to be negatively affected in 2020.
Top impacting factors: Market scenario analysis, trends, drivers, and impact analysis
Rising demand for cement, plaster, and drywall products from the construction industry is a major factor that is expected to drive the synthetic gypsum market in the coming years. In addition, growing demand for synthetic gypsum from the construction sector to develop lightweight concrete and plasters is another key factor that can potentially boost the growth of the synthetic gypsum market. Moreover, rising awareness about the applications of synthetic gypsum, owing to its non-toxic and safe mineral properties is a factor that can propel the growth of the synthetic gypsum market during the forecast period. However, the availability of substitutes, such as natural gypsum, is a retraining factor limiting the growth of the synthetic gypsum market. Stringent regulation for environmental safety and growing applications of synthetic gypsum in other industries, such as water treatment and others, can provide lucrative growth opportunities for the synthetic gypsum market in the coming years.
Increasing adoption of environment-friendly technologies
Synthetic gypsum can be produced from the waste generated in coal-fired plants. The amount of sulfur oxide emissions from coal-fired plants is high. To compensate for the harmful effects of sulfur oxide on the environment and public health, regulatory bodies have implemented regulations such as the Clean Air Act. These regulations have resulted in the rising adoption of environment-friendly technologies in fossil-fueled power plants. For instance, the flue-gas desulfurization (FGD) technology is trending in the synthetic gypsum market lately. This technology results in the formation of calcium sulfite that helps in significantly reducing sulfur oxide emissions. Oxidation of calcium sulfite produces synthetic gypsum. The adoption of such technologies can create a positive impact on the growth of the synthetic gypsum market.
Rapid growth in the APAC region
A massive amount of construction activity is being observed in the Asia-Pacific region lately. The main reason for this is huge government investments for the construction sector and infrastructural development. In addition, the growing population in countries, such as China and India, can accelerate the per capita expenditure on construction. For instance, the Indian government announced $1.4 trillion for infrastructure in the Union Budget 2019-2020. The money will be utilized for the development of infrastructure of transport, railways, energy & power generation projects, and more. Such huge investments for the development of infrastructure can boost the growth of the construction industry that will eventually result in positive growth of the synthetic gypsum market.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study represents the analytical representation of the global synthetic gypsum market combined with the ongoing trends and future predictions to determine investment opportunities.
- The present market is thoroughly analyzed to enlighten the synthetic gypsum market growth.
- The report gives information regarding the important drivers, restraints, and opportunities provided with an in-depth analysis of the global synthetic gypsum market.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report gives a comprehensive analysis based on competitiveness and how the performance of the competitors will take shape in the coming years.
Synthetic Gypsum Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
Synthetic Materials LLC, USG Corporation, PABCO Building Products LLC, Saint-Gobain, Knauf Gips KG, FEECO International, Inc., American Gypsum, Georgia-Pacific Gypsum LLC, National Gypsum Properties LLC, LafargeHolcim