Thermal Coal Market Outlook -2027
Coal is generally classified on the basis of carbon content and content of volatiles. Thermal coal is used to generate energy in the thermal power plants for the production of electricity. In pulverized coal combustion system, thermal coal is first reduced to fine powder by a pulverizer. This not only increases the surface area but also makes the burning process more efficient and quicker. The heat energy produced converts the water in the boilers into steam. The high-pressure steam is blown into the turbine where it rotates the turbine blades. The blades rotate the turbine shaft, which drives the generator mounted at the other end of the shaft, thereby producing electricity.
COVID-19 scenario analysis
- The outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic across the globe has severely affected the global thermal coal market.
- The nationwide lockdown in different countries has resulted in decrease in production, and, in some cases, halting the business operations. This has drastically reduced the demand for coal as a source of energy, thus affecting the growth of the global thermal coal market.
- The restrictions imposed put by the government on transport has led to a severe damage to the supply chain, thereby limiting the distribution of coal from the mines to various industries.
Top impacting factors: market scenario analysis, trends, drivers, and impact analysis
With increase in population and rapid growth industrialization, the demand for electricity is expected to rise significantly across the globe. Electricity not only powers buildings and houses but also powers various industrial equipment and machineries along with household and office equipment. In addition, electricity plays an important role in mitigating poverty. Electricity is produced from several other sources such as oil, natural gas, nuclear, and renewable sources, However, according to the World Coal Association, coal holds the dominant position with 37% share in the global electricity generation. Thermal coal is employed in the calcination process of limestone for producing cement, which is majorly used in construction industry.
Owing to the presence of many thermal power plants in developing countries, it is expected that the thermal coal will play an important role in producing electricity for thermal power plants. Hence, the demand for thermal coal is expected to increase in thermal plants. This factor is expected to offer remunerative growth opportunities for the expansion of the global thermal coal market during the forecast period. Furthermore, the growth of the market is expected to be driven at a considerable pace, owing to increase in demand for power and construction activities, especially in developing countries.
Key benefits of the report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global thermal coal industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global thermal coal market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global thermal coal market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the global thermal coal market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the global thermal coal market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Thermal Coal Market Report Highlights
By Industry Vertical
Other Key Market Players
Bharat Coking Coal Limited, Northern Coalfields Limited, Eastern Coalfields Limited