Thermoplastic polyolefin is a single-ply roofing membrane that is one of the fastest growing commercial roofing systems on the market. TPO roofing systems are made up of a single layer of synthetics and reinforcing scrim that can be used to cover flat roofs. TPO membranes can be installed on high and low slope surfaces easily for making the building roofs waterproof. Roof waterproofing is usually required to protect the building against penetration of water and other liquids. Membranes made from TPO are adaptable to structural movements of a building and are insensitive to the fluctuating cold-heat cycles. These membranes can be repeatedly heated, melted, and reshaped. The flexibility of TPO membranes allows it to be installed rapidly and its huge panels reduce the number of seams which is expected to cut down its maintenance and labour cost drastically. These membranes are highly active in absorbing the sun’s energy which helps in dipping the buildings cooling cost. TPO membranes market is expected to experience growth by the introduction of self-adhering TPO membranes which are used increasingly for flashing walls, curbs, and deck applications. This factor is expected to augment the demand for TPO membranes globally over the projected period. These membranes are suitable for the applications of landfills, tunnelling, irrigation canals, and other works which require high static, mechanical, and dynamic resistance. Increase in use of TPO membranes for underground waterproofing of tunnels boost its market demand owing to its various advantages such as its longer sustainability and safe installation.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
- COVID-19 pandemic has shut down the production of various products in the TPO roofing membrane market attributed to the lockdown in countries worldwide. This has hampered the growth of TPO roofing membrane market from the last few months and is likely to continue during 2021.
- COVID-19 has already affected the sales of TPO roofing membrane market in the first quarter of 2021 and is anticipated to cause a negative impact on the market growth throughout the year.
- The major demand for TPO roofing membrane was previously noticed from giant manufacturing countries including the U.S., Germany, Italy, UK, and China, which are negatively affected by the spread of the coronavirus, thereby declining the demand for TPO roofing membranes.
- Further, potential impact of the lockdown is currently vague and financial recovery of companies is totally based on its cash reserves. TPO roofing membrane market manufacturers can afford a full lockdown only for a few months, after which the players have to modify their investment plans. For instance, various players in the market halted their production activities for several weeks to reduce the expenses. Whereas few players also adopted employee lay-offs to sustain during the COVID-19 health crisis
- TPO roofing membrane market are expected to focus on protecting their workforce, operations, and supply chains to respond toward immediate crises and find new ways of working after COVID-19. For instance, provision of sanitizers, maintaining social distancing, as well as ensuring the vaccination of every employee in the company can assist in promoting the health & safety of the workforce.
Top Impacting Factors
The commercial segment is expected to remain the largest end use market by value and volume due to surge in focus of building owners and contractors (government and private) on environment friendly, energy efficient roofing solutions. The residential segment is expected to witness the highest growth during the forecast period due to increase in residential construction activities and government initiatives to use products that offer a higher standard of energy efficiency in buildings. The major drivers for this market are growth in the building & construction industry and increase in demand for green roofing solutions. The 45 mil thickness TPO roofing membrane segment is projected to remain the largest segment due to its low cost and its preference for buildings which need 10-15 years of service life. TPO roofing membranes with 80 mil thickness segment is expected to witness highest growth during the forecast period due to surge in demand for materials with greater strength, energy efficiency, durability, and performance. North America is expected to remain the largest region during the forecast period due to stringent government regulations and building codes for energy efficiency. Asia-Pacific is expected to witness the highest growth rate during the forecast period due to increase in construction activities and rise in awareness about cost effective building solutions.
- Product launch strategies aim for user adoption and brand growth. New products with advanced and developed technologies are launched by the companies to meet the requirements of the consumers and also to assist in enhancing the geographic footprint of the company and help in gaining significant market share for street and roadway lighting market. For instance, GAF an U.S. based company launched EverGuard TPO which is outperforms standard TPO in heat ageing and UV tests—the best predictors of TPO performance and is also easier to install.
- Similarly, competitors in the TPO roofing membrane market adopted merger and acquisition as their key developmental strategy to expand their geographically and upgrade their product technologies. For instance, Versico was acquired by Carlisle Syntec Systems and thus they got a good hold in the manufacturing and construction industry.
- Moreover, customization is also a widely used strategy for diversifying and expanding the business. For instance, Pennint Co. Ltd., a company based in Qingdao, China Customized Color Tpo Waterproof Roofing Membrane to meet the requirements of the consumers.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the TPO roofing membrane market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the TPO roofing membrane market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analysed to highlight the TPO roofing membrane market industry growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed TPO roofing membrane market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
TPO Roofing Membrane Market Report Highlights
By End User
Key Market Players
Firestone Building Products Company,, Sika AG,, Soprema Group,, GAF Materials Corporation., GSE Environmental,, Johns Manville, Carlisle Companies Inc.,, BASF SE,, The Dow Chemical Company,