An undercarriage is the supporting framework underneath heavy construction vehicles. Construction equipment such as excavators and dozers is equipped with these undercarriage systems to provide work efficiency and durability.
These undercarriages easily shed materials such as sand, mud, and dirt to reduce vibrations. They improve operator comfort, reduce track wear, and increase equipment life. Components of undercarriage include track chains, idlers, track shoes, drive sprockets, carrier rollers, and rollers. These are increasingly being utilized on construction projects to excavate soil and remove rocks & sand. The undercarriage consists of a number of simple components that work together to assist the machine to move across a variety of terrain.
Market Scope and Structure Analysis
The undercarriage systems market is segmented by type and application. By type, the market includes rubber track and steel track. Rubber track is less costly as compared to steel track and is widely adopted in construction and agriculture sectors. Rubber tracks are manufactured by combining one or more highly prepared layers of synthetic rubber or elastic natural rubber with additional elements such as silica fillers, chemical additives, and carbon black for particular performance requirements based on various applications. Rubber tracks in agricultural machinery are in great demand due to factors such as strong performance and lower noise production. On the contrary, steel track is highly tensile and has an ability to perform in extreme condition and environment. Steel undercarriage is extremely durable, corrosion-resistant, and easily recyclable. As a result, such factors are boosting the steel undercarriage segment in the projected period.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic ceased the production of various products in the undercarriage systems industry, which is attributed to the global. This hampered the growth of undercarriage systems market from the last few months and is likely to continue during 2022.
- COVID-19 affected the sales of undercarriage systems in the end quarter of 2021 and is anticipated to have a negative impact on the market growth throughout the year.
- The major demand for undercarriage systems was previously noticed in giant manufacturing regions, such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and South America, which are negatively affected by the spread of the coronavirus, thereby declining the demand for undercarriage system.
- Further, potential impact of the lockdown is currently vague and financial recovery of companies is totally based on their cash reserves. Undercarriage systems manufacturers can afford a full lockdown only for a few months, after which the players have to modify their investment plans. For instance, various players in the market halted their production activities for several weeks to reduce their expenses. On the contrary, few players adopted employee lay-offs to sustain during the COVID-19 health crisis.
- Undercarriage systems manufacturers are expected to focus on protecting their workforce, operations, and supply chains to respond to immediate crises and find new ways of working after COVID-19. For instance, provision of sanitizers, maintaining social distancing, as well as ensuring the vaccination of every employee in the company can assist in promoting the health & safety of the workforce.
Top Impacting Factors
Increase in manufacturing of heavy equipment in the construction and mining industries influences demand for undercarriage systems. Furthermore, governments and private sectors throughout the world are making huge investments in the construction of new residential & commercial buildings and public infrastructure, consequently encouraging the expansion of construction industry. As a result, such factors are anticipated to eventually lead to increase in the demand for heavy equipment and undercarriage components.
Furthermore, constant technological innovation in heavy equipment is offering job efficiency on construction sites. Users and companies can get benefits from the development of a real-time-enabled Internet of Things (IoT) which helps them to track the status of their equipment at all times. In addition, leading construction equipment manufacturers such as Caterpillar and Komatsu are putting a strong emphasis on improving current technology and investing heavily in research and development to strengthen their market position. This is expected to boost the sales of such heavy construction equipment and fuel the undercarriage systems market growth.
- In February 2022, Caterpillar Inc., a manufacturer of heavy construction equipment, introduced Cat 333 excavator with heavy undercarriage system that provides additional digging force, increased durability, and low cost-per hour operation. Similarly, in March 2021, the company introduced Cat D7 Dozer. The machine features a high-drive undercarriage, which improves ride and maintains its balance.
- In July 2021, Komatsu Ltd. introduced 20-ton PC200 hydraulic excavator under its CE Series. This model is equipped with heavy-duty undercarriage system that improves fuel economy. This construction equipment is designed for use in urban civil engineering applications such as road construction and residential developments.
- Hitachi Construction Machinery introduced the ZX210LC-6 excavator for the North American market in November 2021. The machine is equipped with a steel track undercarriage system and high-efficiency aerial angle technology, which helps to improve worksite safety.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the undercarriage systems industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the future investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, opportunities, and market share of the undercarriage systems.
- A quantitative analysis highlights the undercarriage systems growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed undercarriage systems analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Undercarriage Systems Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
ThyssenKrupp AG, Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd., Company 8, Company 9, Komatsu Ltd., Company 6, L&t Technology Services Limited, Company 10, Company 7, Continental AG