U.S Adhesives and Sealants Market Outlook -2032
The U.S. adhesives and sealants market was valued at $11.3 billion in 2022, and is projected to reach $17.5 billion by 2032, registering a CAGR of 4.5% from 2023 to 2032.
An adhesive is a chemical mixture that joins two surfaces together to form a single unit, whereas a sealant is a semisolid material used to prevent fluid leakage. Adhesives possess high shear and tensile strength that makes them best-suited for holding- and bonding-related applications. On the other hand, sealants are used to fill gaps and resist relative movement of substrates. Adhesives and sealants are formulated with similar chemicals and technologies and are used in a wide range of sectors such as paper packaging, woodworking, footwear manufacturing, building & construction, electrical & electronics, automotive, and others.
Industrial growth acts as a significant driver for the U.S. adhesives and sealants market. Industries such as automotive, construction, packaging, aerospace, electronics, and healthcare are major consumers of these products. As these sectors expands, the demand for reliable, efficient, and technologically advanced bonding and sealing solutions increases. Adhesives and sealants find applications in these industries due to their ability to create strong and durable bonds, enhance structural integrity, and resist various environmental factors.
Furthermore, the shift from traditional mechanical fastening to adhesive bonding is another significant driver. Industries recognize the benefits of adhesive bonding, which often results in lighter-weight products, improved aesthetics, reduced stress concentrations, and enhanced overall performance. The versatility of adhesives and sealants allows creative and efficient designs that were previously not achievable with mechanical fastening methods.
However, manufacturing of adhesives and sealants emit volatile organic compounds (VOC) that cause several health-related disorders such as conjunctival irritation, shortness of breath, fatigue, dizziness, and skin problems. Moreover, the exposure of volatile organic compounds (VOC) in high concentrations causes irritation to the lungs, damages the liver, kidneys, central nervous system, and leads to other chronic diseases.
In addition, the increase in regulatory pressure, rise in public awareness regarding health issues and adverse environmental effects have lowered the demand for VOC- containing products. Furthermore, several regulatory bodies such as the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) and others have laid down norms and regulations to control the use of harmful or organic compounds in manufacturing adhesives & sealants. These factors are anticipated to shrink the demand for adhesives & sealants in various end use sectors; thus, restraining the market growth.
On the contrary, as industries demand stronger, more versatile, and efficient bonding solutions, there is an opportunity for manufacturers to develop and refine advanced adhesive technologies. This includes products with improved bonding strengths, faster curing times, and enhanced durability to meet the demands of evolving applications.
The U.S. adhesive & sealant market analysis is done on the basis of product type and application. Depending on product type, the market is divided into adhesive and sealant. On the basis of application, it is fragmented into paper board & packaging, building &construction, woodworking & joinery, transportation, footwear & leather, medical, and others.
U.S. adhesive & sealant market, by Product Type
In 2022, the sealant segment is projected to grow at the highest CAGR of 4.8% during the forecast period and accounted for 10.5% of the U.S. adhesive & sealant market share in 2022. The construction sector in the U.S. has been experiencing growth, with increased investment in infrastructure, commercial buildings, and residential properties. Sealants are essential for maintaining airtight, watertight, and weather-resistant building envelopes, ensuring energy efficiency and structural integrity.
Moreover, the emphasis on green building and sustainable construction practices has led to the use of sealants to enhance energy efficiency by sealing gaps and joints, thereby reducing air leakage and heat loss. Furthermore, ongoing research in sealant technology leads to the development of new formulations that offer improved performance, durability, and application ease. These factors altogether may lead the U.S. adhesives and sealants market for sealant type to witness a significant growth.
By Product Type
Seakant is projected as the fastest growing segment
U.S. adhesive & sealant market, by Application
By application, the building and construction segment dominated the market in 2022 and is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 4.4% during the forecast period. The demand for adhesives and sealants in building and construction applications in the U.S. is increasing due to a combination of technological advancements, industry trends, regulatory requirements, and changing consumer preferences.
These factors contribute to the growing reliance on adhesives and sealants for various construction needs. Adhesives and sealants play a critical role in creating energy-efficient buildings by sealing gaps, joints, and interfaces to prevent air and moisture infiltration.
Building And Construction is the most lucrative segment
The emphasis on sustainable and green construction practices has led to a greater use of adhesives and sealants to enhance insulation and reduce energy consumption. Furthermore, the use of modern construction materials, such as composites, lightweight panels, and engineered woods, often requires specialized adhesives to bond these materials effectively and ensure structural integrity.
In addition to this, the trend toward off-site construction methods, including prefab and modular construction, relies heavily on adhesives and sealants to ensure strong and durable connections between pre-fabricated components. These factors altogether may lead the U.S. adhesives and sealants market to witness a significant increase in demand for building and construction applications.
The major companies profiled in this report include Arkema, BASF SE, Illinois Tool Works Inc., H.B. Fuller Company, Henkel AG & Co. KGAA, Parker Hannifin, Scott Bader Company Ltd., Sika AG, 3M and Huntsman International LLC.
Report Key Highlighters
- The report provides competitive dynamics by evaluating business segments, product portfolios, target market revenue, geographical presence and key strategic developments by prominent manufacturers.
- The U.S. adhesives and sealants market is consolidated in nature among prominent companies such as Arkema, BASF SE, Illinois Tool Works Inc., H.B. Fuller Company, Henkel AG & Co. KGAA, Parker Hannifin, Scott Bader Company Ltd., Sika AG, 3M and Huntsman International LLC.
- The study contains qualitative information such as the market dynamics (drivers, restraints, challenges, and opportunities), public policy analysis, pricing analysis, and Porter’s Five Force Analysis across the U.S.
- Latest trends in the U.S. adhesives and sealants market such as manufacturer’s capacity, ongoing R&D, emergence of adhesives, and government initiatives are analyzed.
- More than 2,300 adhesives and sealants-related product literatures, industry releases, annual reports, and other such documents of key industry participants along with authentic industry journals and government websites have been reviewed for generating high-value industry insights for the U.S. adhesives and sealants market.
Key benefits for stakeholders
- Porter’s five forces analysis helps analyze the potential of buyers & suppliers and the competitive scenario of the industry for strategy building.
- It outlines the current organic chemicals market trends and future estimations from 2022 to 2032 to understand the prevailing opportunities and potential investment pockets.
- The key drivers, restraints, and opportunities and their detailed impact analysis are explained in the study.
- The profiles of key players and their key strategic developments are enlisted in the report.
Impact Of Covid-19 On The U.s. Adhesives And Sealants Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic had both direct and indirect impacts on the U.S. adhesives and sealants market, affecting various aspects of the industry. The pandemic led to disruptions in supply chains, affecting the availability of raw materials and components used in adhesive and sealant manufacturing. This, in turn, impacted production schedules and supply of finished products.
- In addition, the overall economic uncertainty caused by the pandemic led to cautious spending and investment decisions. Some companies postponed or scaled back expansion plans, affecting the demand for adhesive and sealant products. However, as lockdowns and restrictions were gradually lifted, manufacturing operations resumed, leading to increased demand for adhesives and sealants in industries such as automotive, construction, and electronics. Moreover, many adhesive and sealant manufacturers embraced digital platforms and e-commerce solutions to reach customers and provide support remotely.
- However, online ordering, virtual product demonstrations, and webinars became important tools for sales and customer engagement. In addition, the emphasis on hygiene and safety led to increased demand for adhesives and sealants that met strict standards for sterilization and cleanliness. This was particularly relevant in the medical, healthcare, and packaging sectors. These factors altogether are expected to drive the growth of the U.S adhesives and sealants market during the forecast period
According to CXOs of leading companies, the adhesive and sealant market in the U.S. has witnessed consistent growth driven by diverse industries such as automotive, construction, electronics, medical, and aerospace. CXOs capitalize on this growth by expanding their product offerings and market presence. Moreover, advancements in adhesive and sealant technologies have opened doors to innovative solutions, such as lightweight bonding, environmentally friendly formulations, and smart adhesive applications. CXOs invest in R&D to stay ahead of the competition.
Furthermore, there is an increase in demand for sustainable and eco-friendly adhesive solutions. CXOs lead the charge by prioritizing sustainable sourcing, manufacturing practices, and recyclable materials, aligning with consumer and regulatory trends. The diverse needs of various industries require specialized adhesive and sealant solutions. CXOs explore opportunities to develop tailor-made products for specific applications, building strong relationships with clients seeking unique solutions.
In addition, the U.S. adhesives and sealants market is well-regarded globally. CXOs consider expanding their operations internationally, tapping into emerging markets and leveraging their expertise to gain a competitive edge. The CXOs further added that sustained economic growth and the development of food packaging sector have surged the popularity of adhesives & sealants.