Utility billing software helps in managing the utility operations, customer information, and billing functions for water, sewer, gas, electric, waste management, and sub-metering companies. To increase the productivity and profitability through the integration of service orders, meter maintenance history, and scheduling in addition to customer management and billing processes organizations use utility billing systems. It is used to provide an effective billing solution that helps municipalities and officials to manage their daily operations. Water, electricity, and gas bills are usually known as utility bills.
COVID-19 scenario analysis
- Utility market is losing revenue. Several utilities are facing revenue reductions, like the suspension of water billing (for all or part of the population), have been a common and understandable feature of several countries’ response to the crisis.
- The second challenge is the reduced availability of critical elements for operations such as chemicals for water treatment, fuel, or spare parts. Water utilities are also facing challenges in covering labor costs and providing sufficient personal protective equipment (PPE) to their staff at a time when income is drying up. They are also adding costs as they provide water services to vulnerable communities by increasing access to water points, tanker services, and other enhanced delivery mechanisms.
- The third challenge stems from the deferment of critical investments to meet the more urgent necessity of funding emergency responses. This is affecting areas such as the expansion of services, asset rehabilitation, and other capital expenditures.
- The COVID-19 had an enormous challenge for the energy industry as utilities were disproportionately burdened as they not only had to cover the costs of unpaid electricity but also the taxes, duties, levies, and grid fees.
Top impacting factors: market scenario analysis, trends, drivers, and impact analysis
Electricity billing had evolved from the days when utilities gathered monthly energy consumption data to produce a paper invoice that they sent to customers via mail. The use of smart meters, such as two communicating meters, makes it more readily adaptable to streamline the process. For instance, Starnik, which is a software company for utility billing, provides cloud-based electricity billing software for the modern-day utility industry. The incredibly innovative electricity billing software of the company has helped to revolutionize the way utilities collect and process daily usage and billing data. With the electricity billing software developed by the company, it is easy to receive and store 15-minute interval reading from smart grid-enabled devices.
DataWest, which provides software products for the needs of the utility industry, has its own electric utility billing software BillMaster. This electric utility billing software is crafted with the needs of electric clients firmly in mind. The company has extensive experience in the electricity industry and has provided practical, real-world knowledge of electric utility needs, processes, and practices necessary to pack BillMaster with precisely the features and functions that the utility needs.
Utility businesses in this region are also focused on effective consumer services to stay ahead of the increasing competition. Advanced billing software is also a norm in the utility industry in this region, owing to the high integration of digital platforms like social media, mobile devices, web portals, and the presence of digitally literate consumers.
The utility billing software market is neither fragmented nor consolidated, allowing to have multiple vendors present in the market. The lack of control of any player on the supply chain has helped in creating such a market. There are various mergers and acquisitions taking place in this market, and new innovations in terms of technology are expected to propel the growth of the utility billing software market.
Highly scalable utility billing software also has the capability of managing customer information and helps to improve customer services by allowing utilities to more effectively serve the consumers and stay ahead of the competition. All these factors are responsible for aiding the increasing demand for a variety of utility billing software. There is an increasing improvement in legacy billing systems, one of the crucial factors driving the global utility billing software market. The rising adoption of smart grid technology such as smart meters in the electrical power supply industry has increased the complexity level in the billing and collection infrastructure for utilities. Many services are switching to more flexible and scalable utility billing software due to the changing business dynamics. This particular trend is expected to increase in the upcoming years, and a large number of utilities will begin to adopt utility billing software.
However, the presence of digitally advanced consumers and the convergence of digital devices & technologies and traditional business processes are increasingly making it complex for the utility industry. To deliver services at par to match the rising expectations for effective services, the customer information systems and current legacy billing systems are not suitable in the long term.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the market.
- The current utility billing software market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the market growth scenario.
- The report provides a market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Questions answered in the utility billing software market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the utility billing software market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the market?
- What current trends would influence the utility billing software market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Utility Billing Software Market Report Highlights
By Deployment Type
By Industry Vertical
Key Market Players
Redline Data Systems, United Systems Technology, Fund Accounting Solution Technologies, Link Computer Corporation, Nobel Systems, Continental Utility Solutions, SkyBill SIA, Cogsdale, Oracle, Oak Bay Technologies, Utilitybilling.com, ABIS., SilverBlaze, Snappii Apps, Energy Hippo, SmartGridCIS, Starnik, Enghouse Networks, Intedata Systems, Banyon Data Systems, Creative Technologies, Crestline Software, TAK Technology