Whole Slide Imaging Market Outlook - 2027
Whole slide imaging (WSI) refers to an advanced digital imaging technique implemented by pathologists around the world. WSI, also called as virtual microscopy, is a technology that involves the procuring of clear and high-resolution digital images on a computer that represent entire tissue sections from scanned glass slides. This imaging makes use of physical glass slides that are transformed into digital medium, which are analyzed, easily stored, and shared with others. A WSI system typically comprises of illumination systems, a focusing unit for camera attached to the computer and microscopic optical components. The computer system hosts specialized software for analyzing and viewing of the obtained digital images of the glass slide. The integration of whole slide imaging systems in various treatment therapies has enabled the physicians and pathologists to procure clinical information rapidly. This bolsters the fact that the precautionary measures recommended on the basis of this information are up-to-date and precise, improving the quality of life and survival rates of patients.
COVID – 19 scenario analysis:
- The COVID-19 pandemic has emerged as a humanitarian as well as economic crisis, creating strain on the society and affecting millions of people and businesses
- Industry closures and people are asked to stay in their homes which has cause taken a huge toll in terms of money and economic growth
- Over 4 million people affected globally, with 300 thousand losing their lives due to SARS-CoV-2
- Healthcare organizations are already working in battle mode, preparing new plans to respond growing COVID-19 patients, right from sourcing rapid diagnosing kits to sufficient PPE kits for workers
- Due to diversion of medical field towards treating COVID-19, the funding to R&D activities related to whole slide imaging has been reduced and this segment have to face negligence subsequently causing negative impact on whole slide imaging market
Top impacting factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Drivers and Impact Analysis
The key driving factors for the whole slide imaging market include growing usage of imaging technology in drug discovery procedures, technological developments in digital imaging, rising adoption of virtual slides compared to conventional physical slides and the increasing prevalence of cancer around the world. Digital pathology (DP) is making rapid progress and is increasingly accepted in hospitals, research and diagnostic laboratories, research institutes, scientists and healthcare companies. The digital pathology technology offers better productivity as well as efficiency, and reduces the tedious work of pathologists to travel to numerous locations. With the integration of artificial intelligence and digital pathology in the healthcare domain, it is quite clear that digital health will play a crucial role in drug development, strategic planning related to cancer research and accurate drug delivery mechanism development. Moreover, growing demand for quick, clear and high-resolution digital images in pathological facilities, patient safety, and diagnostic precision, the demand for whole slide imaging systems has surged significantly. Furthermore, the increasing prevalence of various chronic diseases such as cancer that inflict significant death toll on the global population is among the key factors leading to adoption of these systems in the field of disease diagnostics.
On the other hand, high investment in procurement and maintenance of these advanced whole slide imaging technology and lack of skilled personnel to operate these systems in developing and under-developed countries are the factors that may restrain the market to some extent.
However, technological developments in the field of whole slide imaging technology will stimulate the adoption rate of these systems simultaneously offering immense opportunities for the market development in the near future.
Increasing usage in drug discovery and recent developments to boost the growth
Several pharmaceutical and biotech majors are making significant progress in drug discovery with the help of digital imaging technology. As a result, digital imaging technologies are now increasingly used across the drug discovery processes and holds an importance in research and development activities permitting the scientists to study and work with several model organisms. This would help improve the standardization, cost reduction along with better quality, and manageability of research. Also, with increasing research in drug discovery would directly impact on the growth of whole slide imaging market. For example, Panoramic 1000, launched in the market by 3DHISTECH, is a superior quality slide digitalization technology attributed with high efficiency and high pace. It is capable of scanning 1000-slide and provides effective solutions for high-volume imaging. Availability of such innovative products in the market will spur the growth for whole slide imaging market.
Rising prevalence of cancer to boost the growth
According to the Cancer Research UK, around 17 million cancer cases were registered in 2018, out of which 56% of the cases were fatal. There are many key factors that may affect the success rate of chemo and radiation therapy and a person's survival rate such as age, overall health and cancer stage. As per World Cancer Research Fund studies, around 18 million cancer cases worldwide, among which, 9.5 million cases were found in men and 8.5 million cases in women. Lung cancer and breast cancers were reportedly most dominant types of cancer contributing to around 12.3% of the total new cases of cancer diagnosed in 2018. As per a research report by the World Health Organization (WHO), in low- and middle-income countries, around 70% of deaths occurs due to cancer. Poor food habits, changing lifestyle, increase in of smoking habits, genetic mutation, alcohol and hormones consumption, urban air pollution are the frequent reasons for the increasing number of cancer patients in the world. Rising number of cancer across the globe is proving to be significant for boosting the growth of whole slide imaging market owing to its extensive use in cancer research and development of several therapeutics against cancer. Thus, the rising global cancer burden would augment the demand for digital imaging systems thereby fueling the market growth.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global whole slide imaging market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global whole slide imaging market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global whole slide imaging market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed global market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the Whole Slide Imaging Market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the whole slide imaging market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Whole Slide Imaging Market Report Highlights
By End User
Key Market Players
Olympus Corporation, Mikroscan Technologies, Inspirata, Definiens, 3DHISTECH, Philips Healthcare., Indica Labs, Nikon Corporation, Hamamatsu Photonics, Leica Microsystems