Wound closure strip help to accelerate and ensure wound healing by protecting the wound site and increasing the migration of keratinocytes over granulation tissues. These strips are porous tapes, which are often used during surgeries for closing small wounds. Wound closure strips are applied across the laceration so that they help pull the skin on either side of the wounds together. Furthermore, they are known to be an effective alternative for staples and sutures used during surgeries. However, wound closure strips can be used to complement staple or suture closure. Wound closure strips are mostly used in hospitals and trauma centers.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in the Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing a shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are expected to witness significant growth in the future, owing to the demand for vaccines and treatment drugs for COVID-19.
However, with COVID-19, the supply chain of the raw material required to manufacture wound closure strips has been disrupted in many countries. In addition, the market growth of pharmaceuticals is declining, as the manufacturers of drugs have slowed down their production due to the pandemic. This, in turn, is expected to have a significant impact on the wound closure strips market.
Top Impacting Factors
Increase in the prevalence of accidents and injuries across the world is the major factor driving the growth of the wound closure strips market.
In addition, rise has been witnessed in the cases of surgical suture infections, due to rise in number of surgeries performed in hospitals. This factor has positively influenced the wound closure strips market, as these strips help to prevent infections after surgeries.
Wound closure strips can be used as an alternative for staples and sutures. Moreover, these strips involve comparatively faster closure time, lesser pain, and lower risks of tissue strangulation. They can be used in cosmetic procedures to minimize the growth of scar tissue.
However, lack of awareness about wound closure strips in many developing regions of the world impedes the wound closure strips market.
Key Market Trends
Key companies in the wound closure strips market are increasing their production to produce zip-like closure systems for skin that mimic traditional closure systems for skin such as glue (cyanoacrylates), sutures, and staples.
In addition, wound closure strips are gaining popularity in many regions of the world due to the non-invasive nature of these strips. This has led to increasing public and private sector investments in the wound closure strips market.
In 2019, Bandgrip, Inc., a medical device company, announced its partnership with OrthoIndy. Both these organizations are focused on innovating micro-anchor skin closures.
Plastic is infamous for its harmful effects on the environment but this material is now being used in transforming wound closure strips. For instance, 3M Company has currently introduced its 3M Steri Strips made using plastic. These strips are designed to close low-tension wounds.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the wound closure strips industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the wound closure strips market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Questions Answered in the Wound Closure Strips Report
- Which are the leading players active in the wound closure strips market?
- How is each segment of the market expected to grow during the forecast period?
- What are the adoption trends for the wound closure strips in emerging economies and established economies across the world?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps in the market?
- What are the impacts of COVID-19 on the industry?
- What are wound closure strips?
- What are the current and predicted trends of the market?
Wound Closure Strips Market Report Highlights
By Wound Type
By End User
Key Market Players
Dynarex Corporation, Smith and Nephew Plc., DermaRite Industries, LLC., Zipline Medical, McKesson Medical Surgical Inc., BSN Medical, DUKAL, priMED Medical Products, Inc.,, Cardinal Health, 3M Company