The global anti-foaming agent market was valued at $5.1 billion in 2020, and is projected to reach $7.5 billion by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 4.1% from 2020 to 2030.
Anti-foaming agents or defoamer are chemical additives that eliminate or reduce unwanted foam development during industrial processes. Foams are the substances formed by trapping air/gas pockets in a liquid or solid. It causes severe problems such as inefficiency in the process, defects in surface coatings, storage instability, and several other losses. Anti-foaming agents have low viscosity and high surface-active properties. It has tendency to spread rapidly on foam surfaces, where it destabilizes foaming layers causing rupture of air bubbles and breaking of foam. Commonly used agents during removal of foams are insoluble oil, silicones, alcohols, stearates, and glycol. At present, these agents find numerous applications in detergents, food industry, paper & pulp industry, water treatment plants, and bio-chemicals industries.
Food and agribusiness are susceptible to foam problems due to the levels of organic material processed, pressure, mixing, chemical reactions, and other process-related factors. In addition, rise in demand for water treatment; Paint, Inks, Coatings, & Adhesives (PICA); and other related chemicals may act as the driving factor for the market growth.
The anti-foaming agent market is segmented on the basis of type and application. By type, it is classified as water-based, oil-based, silicone-based, and others. By application, it is categorized as pulp & paper, oil & gas, paints & coatings, water treatment, food & beverages, and others (detergents, pharmaceuticals, textiles). By region, the market is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
The key players profiled in this report include Clariant AG, Dow Corning Corporation, BASF SE, Ashland Inc., Ecolab Inc., Evonik Industries AG, Shin-Etsu Chemical Company Ltd., Kemira Oyj, Elementis PLC, Wacker Chemie AG.
Global Anti-foaming Agent Market, by Type
By product, the silicon-based segment dominated the global anti-foaming agent market in 2020 and is projected to remain the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period. This is attributed due to its low surface tension, chemical inertness, thermal stability, and complete solubility in water.
Oil based is projected to create abundant $ opportunity till 2030
Global Anti-foaming Agent Market, by Application
By Application, the oil & gas segment dominated the global anti-foaming agent market in 2020, and is projected to remain the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period. This is attributed due to rise in dependency on oil & gas of every industry and increased demand for energy in general and especially for transportation.
Pulp and Paper segment is projected as the most lucrative segment.
Global Anti-foaming Agent Market, by Region
By region, Asia-Pacific dominated the global anti-foaming agent market in 2020, and is projected to remain the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period. This is attributed to numerous factors such as large consumer base, rise in chemical and other industries in the region.
Asia-Pacific is projected to create abundant $ opportunity till 2030
Key Benefits For Stakeholders
- The report provides an in-depth analysis of the global anti-foaming agent market trends along with the current and future market forecast.
- This report highlights the key drivers, opportunities, and restraints of the market along with the impact analyses during the forecast period.
- Porter’s five forces analysis helps analyze the potential of the buyers & suppliers and the competitive scenario of the global anti-foaming agent market for strategy building.
- A comprehensive global anti-foaming agent market analysis covers factors that drive and restrain the market growth.
- The qualitative data in this report aims on market dynamics, trends, and developments.
Impact of COVID-19 on the Global Anti Foaming Agent Market
- Anti-foaming agent is highly used in the food processing and agribusiness for foam problems due to the levels of organic material processed, pressure, mixing, chemical reactions, and other process-related factors. Typical applications include grain separation & processing, fermentation, fruit & vegetable washing & processing, meat & poultry processing, dairy products, beverages, brine systems, and more. However, the COVID impact on such applications has a sluggish impact since these are under basic amenities as per government regulations.
- In addition, there is no reason for the health crisis to develop into a global food crisis. Supplies of staple crops are large, production prospects are favorable, and cereal stocks are expected to reach their third highest level on record. Moreover, most countries have designated the agriculture and agri-food sector as essential and exempt from business closure and restrictions on movement. For many countries, the direct impacts of the pandemic on primary agriculture should be limited, as the disease does not affect the natural resources upon which production is based. However, the virus poses a serious threat to food security and livelihoods in the poorest countries, where agricultural production systems are more labor-intensive and there is less capacity to withstand a severe macroeconomic shock.
- Sale of anti-foaming agent is directly proportional to the demand for paint, inks, coatings, & adhesives (PICA). The demand for paint & coatings depends on construction activity, which got highly impacted by the pandemic. However, there is negative impact on the anti-foaming agent market.
- Defoaming compositions are commonly used in the oil and gas industry to prevent the formation of foam, hinder the entrainment of a gas in a liquid, or to break previously formed foam. Defoaming is necessary in several industrial branches and is often a key factor for efficient operation. Oil & gas production got limited impact by lockdown imposed due to the COVID-19 outbreak and recorded a huge decline in crude prices in 2020 due to less storage and resumed overflow production, However, the continued upstream activities has not impacted the usage of anti-foaming agent however there is sluggish impact on sales of anti-foaming agent.
- COVID-19 impacted almost all industries by hindering various industrial operations and disrupting the supply chain. Maximum companies halted their operation due to fewer workforces. However, there is a sluggish decline in the global anti foaming agent market due to impact of COVID-19.
- Furthermore, import and export activities were significantly impacted, which, in turn, adversely affected the industries using anti foaming agent and thereby affecting the global anti foaming agent market.
- According to the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), 30.0%–70.0% of pre-COVID-19 workforce of various industries, such as electrical and other third-party vendors migrated to their hometowns due to uncertainties and loss of income during the lockdown. This unavailability or less availability of workforce is expected to directly affect the production and manufacturing activities, thereby resulting in decline in petrochemical industry, which in turn is expected to decline the growth of the anti-foaming agent market during the forecast period.
Anti-Foaming Agent Market Report Highlights
Anti-foaming agent market holds a substantial scope for growth globally. Its contribution to the world market can increase significantly within the span of next ten years. Recent discoveries and innovations have created vast opportunities for numerous players to step in the anti-foaming agent market.
According to the perspectives of CXOs of the leading companies, surge in demand for food and agribusiness; water treatment; paint, inks, coatings, & adhesives (PICA); chemical manufacturing; and cleaning compounds & processes boost the growth of the market. Moreover, increase in demand from developing countries, such as China and India, due to rapid industrialization and upsurge in chemical demand drive the market growth.
Furthermore, the CXOs are optimistic about the adoption of anti-foaming agents in medical and healthcare facilities. As per the CXOs, Asia-Pacific occupies large share of the global anti-foaming agent market; however, the anti-foaming agent market in Europe is expected to grow at a rapid rate in the near future.
Various CXOs from leading companies perceive the anti-foaming agent market as an area of potential growth owing to government regulatory support, rise in awareness, and high growth rate of application industries. The uses of anti-foaming agent are diverse and extensive resulting in its increase in demand in different industries every year. The high growth rate of pharmaceuticals, packaged food, textile, and construction industries is projected to drive the overall development of the anti-foaming agent market across the world. To meet this surge in demand, existing players expand and reach untapped regions as well as new entrants include different varieties of anti-foaming agents in their product portfolios.