Brain computer interface (BCI), also referred to as direct neural interface, synthetic telepathy interface, brain machine interface or mind machine interface, is a system that facilitates a direct communication channel between the brain and peripheral devices used for calibrating the movements of physically challenged individuals. A BCI system records the brain signals from the surface of the cortex, from devices implanted within the brain or from the sensors placed over the scalp. These signals are then transmitted to a peripheral device that enables the user to perform numerous tasks. With the help of BCI system, paralyzed and handicapped individuals can overcome their physical challenges and perform various routine tasks. The primary function of the BCI device is to intercept the electrical signals that pass through the neurons and transmit them to an external device. Technological developments in the field of computation, human sensing, entertainment, gaming, and communication and control, is the major factor that will drive the growth of the BCI market.
Intensive research carried out to treat fatal brain disorders and injuries and government initiatives such as providing funds to encourage BCI research studies are likely to boost the market growth. However, ethical problems faced during research, i.e., using BCI to treat patients without obtaining informed consent, can act as a restraining factor for the market growth. In most of the cases, it is not possible to define or restrict the amount of information that can be retrieved from the patient. BCI is comparatively a nave technology, restricted only to laboratory research and many of its applications are yet to be commercialized.
The brain computer interface market is segmented based on types, applications and countries. The type segment includes invasive BCI, non-invasive BCI and partially invasive BCI technology. On the basis of applications, the BCI market is segmented into communication and control, healthcare, smart home control, gaming and entertainment and others. To study the country wise scenario in Asia-Pacific region, the market is bifurcated based on countries into China, Japan, South Korea, Australia and Rest of Asia (ROA). Many prominent players have been operating in the market including Nihon Kohden Corporation, Mind Solutions, Inc., Advanced Brain Monitoring, Inc. and others.
- The study provides an in-depth analysis of the brain computer interface market with current and future trends to elucidate the imminent investment pockets in the market.
- The current and future trends have been outlined to determine the overall attractiveness and to single out profitable trends for gaining a stronger foothold in the market.
- The report provides information regarding key drivers, restraints and opportunities with impact analysis.
- Quantitative analysis of the current market and estimations during the period of 20142020 have been provided to showcase the financial appetency of the market.
- Porters five forces model analysis and SWOT analysis of the industry illustrate the potency of the buyers and suppliers participating in the market.
- Value chain analysis in the report provides a clear understanding on the roles of stakeholders involved in the value chain.
BRAIN COMPUTER INTERFACE MARKET KEY SEGMENTS
The Asia-Pacific brain computer interface market is segmented based on types, applications and countries.
- Partially invasive
- Communication and control
- Gaming and entertainment
- Smart home control
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia (ROA)
- Nihon Kohden Corporation
- Mind Solutions, Inc.
- Advanced Brain Monitoring, Inc.
- Quantum Applied Science and Research, Inc.
- Cadwell Laboratories, Inc.
- Cortech Solutions, Inc.
- NeuroSky, Inc.
- Emotiv, Inc.
- Guger Technologies OEG