The global carboxymethyl cellulose market size was valued at $1,566.9 million in 2020 and is projected to reach $2,439.4 million by 2030, registering a CAGR of 4.0% from 2021 to 2030. Carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC or Cellulose Gum) is extracted from pure cotton and wood pulp cellulose. It is recognized as cellulose gum or tylose powder and is widely used in diversified applications in the pharmaceutical, cosmetics & personal care, food & beverages, paint, and household care industries. Also, detergents, water-based paints, and paper processing require large amount of carboxymethyl cellulose.
The increase in adoption of carboxymethyl cellulose in different food & beverages, such as ice-creams, milk, and baked foods, as a thickening agent or stabilizer drives the carboxymethyl cellulose market growth. Carboxymethyl cellulose is widely used in reduced fat food products. It is also extensively used for candy preparation where it helps to improve quality and texture; it also ensures smooth dispersion of flavor oils. It is also used as an emulsifier in products like margarine, chewing gums, and peanut butter.
Carboxymethyl cellulose is used as an adhesive agent to produce pencils, paper boxes, and mosquito coils, and others. In addition, carboxymethyl cellulose is also used in the oil-drilling industry as an ingredient of drilling mud where it works as a water retention agent and viscosity modifier, which is expected to enhance the growth of the carboxymethyl cellulose market. However, decline in raw material quantity to produce carboxymethyl cellulose is anticipated to hinder the market growth.
By Purity Level
Highly Purified segment dominates the global market and is expected to retain its dominance throughout the forecast period.
The carboxymethyl cellulose market is segmented on the basis of purity level, application, property, and region. By purity level, it is studied across highly purified, technical grade, and industrial grade. By application, carboxymethyl cellulose market is classified into food & beverages, oil & refining, pharmaceutical, paint industry & textile, cosmetics & personal care, paper coating & household care, and others. By property, carboxymethyl cellulose market is divided into thickening agent, stabilizer, binder, anti-repository agent, lubricator, emulsifier, and excipient. On the basis of region, the carboxymethyl cellulose industry is analyzed across North America (U.S., Canada, and Mexico), Europe (UK, Germany, France, Italy, and rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, India, Japan, Rest of Asia-Pacific, and ASEAN), and LAMEA (Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa)
On the basis of purity level, the market is divided into highly purified, technical grade, and industrial grade. The highly purified carboxymethyl cellulose leads in terms of carboxymethyl cellulose market share and is expected to retain its dominance during the carboxymethyl cellulose market forecast period. It is used in food & beverages, pharmaceuticals, and personal care products. It is used as stabilizer, emulsifier, and thickener agent. Technical grade carboxymethyl cellulose is used in coatings, adhesives, pulp & paper, textile, and other industrial applications. Industrial grade of carboxymethyl cellulose, which consists of great amount of sodium glycolate and sodium chloride, is used in mining, detergent, and petroleum industries.
Food & Beverages segment is expected to grow at a highest CAGR of 5.0% during the forecast period.
On the basis of application, the market is classified into food & beverages, oil & refining, pharmaceutical, paint & textile, cosmetics & personal care, paper coating & household care, and others. In 2020, food & beverages is the leading segment in the carboxymethyl cellulose market, owing to increased demand of carboxymethyl cellulose as a fat replacement in food products.
On the basis of property, the carboxymethyl cellulose market is divided into thickening agent, stabilizer, binder, anti-repository agent, lubricator, emulsifier, and excipient. Globally, carboxymethyl cellulose as a thickening agent is used in diversified industries like paint & textile industry, cosmetics, paper & household care industry, oil & refining industry, pharmaceutical, and construction industry.
Thickening Agent segment is expected to grow at a highest CAGR of 5.1% during the forecast period.
Some of the key players operating in the carboxymethyl cellulose market J.M. Huber Corporation, Ashland Global Holdings Inc, ,Quimica Amtex y Amtex Chemicals, LLC, ,Changzhou Science & Technology Co.,
LTD, ,DKS Co. Ltd, Carlyle Investment Management L.L.C., Formitex Empreendimentos e Participacoes Ltda, Mikro-Technik GmbH & Company KG, Zibo Hailan Chemical Co., Ltd, Chongqing Lihong Fine Chemicals Co., Ltd.. Leading players in carboxymethyl cellulose market are expanding their production in order to cater growing demand for carboxymethyl cellulose arising from diversified end use industry.
Asia-Pacific dominates the market and is expected to grow with a CAGR of 5.9% during the forecast period
Covid-19 Impact Analysis
- COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December 2020.
- The global coronavirus pandemic has created a number of challenges for exporters in the developing and developed countries. The challenges witnessed by the exporters of carboxymethyl cellulose products are likely to remain for the foreseeable future, as different states and governments around the world attempt to tackle COVID-19 with various measures.
- Supply chain disruption; lack of availability of workers; complete shutdown of restaurants or quick service restaurant (QSR), textile industry, paper coating industry and others have negatively affected the market.
- Countries around the world imposed lockdowns, and curfews, which has hugely impacted lifestyles, health & wellbeing, and affected manufacturing industries.
- Import and export restrictions on goods and quarantine and lockdown measures imposed by governments are key challenges exporters are facing during this pandemic.
Key Benefits For Stakeholders
- This report provides a quantitative analysis of the market segments, current trends, estimations, and dynamics of the carboxymethyl cellulose market analysis from 2020 to 2030 to identify the prevailing market opportunities.
- The market research is offered along with information related to key drivers, restraints, and carboxymethyl cellulose market opportunity.
- Porter’s five forces analysis highlights the potency of buyers and suppliers to enable stakeholders make profit-oriented business decisions and strengthen their supplier–buyer network.
- In-depth analysis of the carboxymethyl cellulose market segmentation assists to determine the prevailing market opportunities.
- Major countries in each region are mapped according to their revenue contribution to the global market industry.
- Market player positioning facilitates benchmarking and provides a clear understanding of the present position of the carboxymethyl cellulose market players.
- The report includes analysis of regional as well as global carboxymethyl cellulose market trends, key players, market segments, application areas, and market growth strategies.
Carboxymethyl Cellulose Market Report Highlights
By Purity Level
The carboxymethyl cellulose market has witnessed robust growth during the past few years, owing to proliferation of its end-use industries. CMC is now being extensively used in batteries for e-vehicles and for the development of biopolymer composites films and edible film coatings. Furthermore, continuous research for introduction of new raw materials such as sugarcane bagasse apart from wood and cotton is expected to augment the market growth in the upcoming years. However, it is anticipated to face huge challenges in the upcoming years. Trade wars and depleting raw material resources result in change of cost dynamics. Furthermore, shift in preference toward other hydrocolloids hinder the market expansion in the upcoming years.
The production of carboxymethyl cellulose is highly concentrated in China. As a result, leading players in the region are expanding their geographical presence by partnering and collaborating with local distributors to cater to the rise in demand for carboxymethyl cellulose around the world. Diversification in terms of products offering across different end use industries is expected to provide remunerative revenue opportunities in the carboxymethyl cellulose market during the forecast period.