STD Testing Market Overview:
STD Testing Market (Sexually Transmitted Diseases Testing Market) is expected to garner $167.4 billion by 2020, registering a CAGR of 8.5% during the forecast period 2014-2020.
STDs are a grave issue globally, and are responsible for high morbidity in adults and cause infertility in both men and women. Complications such as ectopic pregnancy, cervical cancer in women and congenital mortality are observed in patients suffering from STDs. Generally, patients suffering from STDs are observed to be within 15 to 44 years, and ~500 million new cases of STDs are registered per year. Diagnostic procedures of STDs market include the technologies that are used to identify and analyze STD along with the laboratories where the tests are carried out.
This report includes variety of diagnostic testing techniques that are used in identifying the infectious diseases. Some of the popular tests such as blood or serum testing and PCR testing are considered during estimations. This report considers the revenue from the private as well as publicly funded STD programs. This report excludes the revenue generated from the devices sold in the market. STD devices have been estimated according to the type of devices used during testing.
Diagnostic testing programs are implemented by health care departments in developed regions for prevention and control of transmission, specifically of P&S Syphilis, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and HPV. Provisions for diagnostic tests and technologies for STDs should comply with stringent regulations. On compliance with the norms and gaining accreditation from authorities, companies developing and supplying laboratory STD diagnostic tests will be eligible for contracts for nation-wide testing volume provision and result in benefits for the market participants. Additionally, if accreditation and regulatory approvals are obtained, the POC testing/technologies and kits/chips providers can qualify to participate in national screening programs in developing regions.
Global STD Testing market revenue, by disease type, 2020
The associated social stigma has led many STD infected individuals to refrain from testing in specialized STD clinics and Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) clinics. On the contrast, historically, it has been observed that visits to generalize public and private labs for STD testing has increased as against specialized STD clinics. Thus, it is likely to be economic and beneficial for companies providing new STD diagnostic tests/technologies and laboratory equipment and supplies to public and private labs. The change in the consumer (STD infected and individuals opting for voluntary/CICT testing) buying behavior is thus beneficial for public or private labs and they can aim to increase the supply of STD diagnostic testing services, i.e. expanding business horizons.
The increasing prevalence and incidence of STDs will increase the demand for Diagnostic Testing of STDs. However, a there are factors that are likely to restrain the market growth. It is estimated that the impact of the drivers is likely to be higher than the restraints; the global Diagnostic Testing of STDs market is likely to grow at CAGR of 8.5% during the forecast period. Additionally, a cumulative effect of the drivers and the restraints is likely to reveal few niche market opportunities that can be capitalized by companies supplying STD diagnostic tests, supplies and equipment providers and public and private labs.
The French disease” or “The Great Pox” was referred to P&S Syphilis infections that were more prevalent in France in 14th century. Later, this disease was entirely spread across North America and Europe. Syphilis disease specifically consists of three stages that include primary, secondary and latent or late stage. Highly contagious and asymptomatic nature of Syphilis leads to undetected progression until the later stage. The disease could clinically manifest to 10 years, after original infection. Moreover, if it is left untreated in the later stages, complications could be serious or sometimes lethal for the patients.
Asia-Pacific and LAMEA regions have exhibited higher prevalence and incidence rates of HIV, P&S Syphilis, HSV and Chancroid. These regions are considered poor in supply-side infrastructure due to insufficient laboratories, clinics and set-ups where STD testing is carried out. Such labs and testing centers are out of reach for patients and people opting for CICT/PICT testing. Low buying power and unfavorable reimbursement rates for testing of STDs are responsible for rising prevalence and incidence rates.
North America P&S Syphilis Testing market volume, 2013-2020
However, considering the large market size (resulting from a larger cohort of the targeted population aged 15 - 44 years); will be profitable for market participants. The companies developing and supplying POC tests, as POC tests are easily available in out-of-reach areas and are cost effective, so many companies are targeting for screening programs for HIV and P&S Syphilis testing.
- The analysis helps in understanding the strategies adopted by various companies for gaining market share in the market for diagnostic testing of STDs
- The report provides comprehensive analysis of factors that drive and restrict the growth of the market for diagnostic testing of STDs.
- Market conditions of STD diagnostic testing market across all geographic regions are comprehensively analyzed. Key trends such as national and voluntary screening programs within regional markets, for example, European markets are expected to drive growth of the market.
- Prime focus of the report is opportunity-analysis within this market. STD infected individuals refrain from testing in specialized STD clinics and Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) clinics due to the associated social stigma. Such change in the consumer buying behavior would prove to be an opportunity and be beneficial for public and private labs.
SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES (STDS) TESTING MARKET SEGMENTATION
The diagnostic testing of STDs market is segmented into types of STDs tested, testing devices, laboratory testing, PoC testing and geography.
By Sexually Transmitted Disease Types
- Chlamydia testing
- Syphilis testing
- Gonorrhoea testing
- Herpes Simplex Virus testing
- Human Papilloma Virus testing
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus testing
- Chancroid testing
By Location Of Testing
- Laboratory Testing
- Commercial/Private labs
- Public Health Labs
- Point of Care (PoC) testing
By Testing Devices
- Laboratory Devices: Instruments and systems
- Thermal Cyclers - PCR
- Lateral Flow Readers - Immunochromatographic assays
- Flow Cytometers
- Differential Light Scattering machines
- Absorbance microplate reader - Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA)
- POC testing Devices: Various diagnostic kits
- Phone chips (microfluidics + ICT)
- Portable / bench top / rapid diagnostic kits
- North America
- Latin America, Middle East, Africa (LAMEA)