Electronic Article Surveillance Market Outlook – 2027
Electronic article surveillance (EAS) is a technological method that works with detection antennae installed at exit of the store and hard tags, labels attached to items being sold. These are actually special electronically detectable tags or labels fixed on to a merchandise and is deactivated by the employee personnel once the item is bought or checked out. EAS system prevents shoplifting rom retail stores, book stores or libraries or removal of properties from office buildings.
The electronic gate sensors sound an alarm at the exit once it detects an active tag thereby sensing an unbilled item lifted from the store. This system is used in large-scale in fashion accessories stores, drug and health product stores as it is easily installable, highly durable with strong anti-interference ability. Warehouse and mass merchandise stores develop private labels that are hard to be removed or deactivated by shoplifters enabling open display of goods to customers with a view to enhancing profit margin and operational processes.
These systems are highly stable with simple operation. Hard tags are reusable with low maintenance cost which minimizes loss from thefts. Installation of this flexible system offering high return of investment (ROI) enables the electronic article surveillance market share to grow at a steady pace in coming years.
The global electronic article surveillance market is segmented on the basis of component, technology, industry vertical, and region. Based on component, the electronic article surveillance market is divided into electronic tags, antennae, detachers, detection system, and permanent deactivation system. In terms of technology, the market is categorized into video wall, acousto-magnetic system, microwave system, and radio frequency system.
On the basis of industry vertical, the electronic article surveillance market is segregated into commercial, pharmaceutical, and others. Geographically, the market is analyzed across several regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa (LAMEA).
Top Impacting Factors
Rise in need to prevent retail shrinkage due to increasing instance of theft and shoplifting to provide better shopping experience to customers in growing number of retail stores is the primary factor propelling electronic article surveillance market growth. However high implementation cost and low maintenance of radio frequency of electronic article surveillance system tends to restrain electronic article surveillance market growth.
On the contrary, EAS system is widely used in healthcare to cure various injuries, protect newborns from being kidnapped from maternity wards as well as to detect wanderers or patients with Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease thereby boosting market revenue. Extensive advancement of this technology supported by integration of RFID (Radio-frequency Identification) enables ultra-wide detection distance hence paving new avenues to the electronic article surveillance industry.
New Product Launches to Flourish the Market
Leading electronic article surveillance market players are adopting necessary steps to improve label designs and deliver maximum performance capabilities for retailers that improves loss prevention and inventory management.
In January 2020, Checkpoint Systems, a leader in source-to-shopper solutions launched a new version of UNO RF/RFID label featuring new RFID chip options and recently launched Impinj M750 RAIN RFID tag chip. The Impinj M750 chip is 40% smaller than previous versions reducing material usage by 18%.
The new inlays built on Impinj M750 chip receives highest sensitivity of -24dBm of any RAIN tag IC and offers optimized performance across a range of operating frequencies. The new label with dual-purpose technology provides retailers benefits of EAS protection at store exit as well as RFID inventory management thereby decreasing labor cost and process time.
In January 2020, Checkpoint Sytems introduced the Alpha ShoeLok to its line of specialized tags in order to protect retail footwear theft. It is a lightweight 2-alarm system that unlocks with an Alpha S3 Handkey,
Multi-detacher or Super S3 key.
Surge in Use in Industrial and Automotive Applications
Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) products are used by consumer goods manufacturers to help retailers protect merchandise from theft.
In February 2019, ALL-TAG, an American manufacturer of RF labels, security tags launched a customizable 31*32mm SuperLabel, a multi-purpose security label. The customizable security label has smaller footprint that allows it to fit on more retail product packaging and does not conceal important printed content outside the packaging.
It provides many printing options such as brand logos, slogans, QR codes which enables retail merchandise vendors to keep shoppers informed eventually increasing the sales of products. It will enhance source tagging compliance, reduce shrink and increase sales of products.
Key Benefits of the Stakeholders
- The study gives an analytical overview of electronic article surveillance market forecast with current trends and future estimations to determine imminent investment pockets.
- The report provides information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed electronic article surveillance market analysis.
- The electronic article surveillance market trends are quantitatively analyzed.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
COVID-19 Scenario Analysis
- COVID-19 has offered devastating effects on individuals and businesses worldwide. This market is facing major challenges, owing to shutdown of certain location, employee layoffs, changing suppliers, or eliminating salaries. Security and surveillance will be one of those areas suffering both budget and manpower cuts.
- The electronic article surveillance market has faced a huge blow due to demand lapse caused by temporary lockdown of retail stores, book stores, supermarket, and mass merchandise stores. In addition, temporary shutdown in manufacturing units of components such as tags, antennae, deactivators is affecting supply chain.
- In May 2020, Sensormatic Solutions by Johnson Controls, announced ShopperTrak real-time occupancy solution to assist retailers understand shopper density within a store with a view to comply with social distancing measures after lockdown is lifted. In addition, these solutions provide thermal and color images of individuals entering a store. The camera detects elevated temperature and notifies warehouse manager to maintain health and safety measures.
Questions Answered in the Electronic Article Surveillance Market Research Report
- Who are the leading players in the electronic article surveillance market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the electronic article surveillance market size?
- What are the current trends that would influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Electronic Article Surveillance Market Report Highlights
By Industry Vertical
Key Market Players
Cross Point, Tyco Retail Solutions, Shopguard Systems, Tekno Electro Solutions, ALL-TAG Corp., Johnson Controls, Sentry Technology Corp., Agon Systems, Stanley Security, CheckPoint Systems Inc.