Flavoring agent is a substance added to food products for flavor and taste enhancement. Flavor or taste is the quality of the food, which causes a perception in taste receptors by affecting the chemical senses of the sensory system. Flavoring agents alter the natural and unpleasant food flavors of processed foods and increase their palatability. These agents are regulated by government bodies such as FDA, Codex Alimentarius Commission, and FSSAI to ensure their safety for consumption and are categorized as food additives. They are used widely for commercial production as well as available for culinary purposes. Flavoring substances are categorized into three types, which include natural flavors, nature-identical flavoring substances, and artificial flavoring substances. Natural flavors are obtained by a physical process from plant and animal raw materials in their natural or processed form, fit for human consumption. Nature-identical flavoring substances are synthesized or chemically isolated from aromatic raw material, identical to the substances in natural products. Artificial flavoring agents are chemical formulas obtained by fractional distillation and other chemical processes to impart the taste similar to natural ones.
COVID-19 scenario analysis
- TheCOVID-19 scenario has affected the sales and revenue of the flavoring agent market due to the disruptions caused in the global supply chain during the lockdown period amid the export and import ban imposed by regulatory bodies.
- The procurement of commercial flavoring agents dropped due to the transportation restrictions and difficulties caused in production.
- Initially, the lockdown scenario led to the shutdown of manufacturing units and shortage of manpower, which hampered the production.
- The distribution channels such as supermarkets and retail stores were shut down to avoid the mass gathering, which caused a decline in sales thus, affecting the revenue of the flavoring agent market.
Top impacting factors: market scenario analysis, trends, drivers, and impact analysis
Flavoring agents have been widely used and accepted throughout the world to enhance the flavor and palatability of bland or unpleasant tasting food products. They are commonly used in processed food products, beverages, bakery, confectionery, and pharmaceutical formulations. Flavoring agents are manufactured and used according to the five basic tastes, sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and umami. Increase in requirement of new food additives, new product development, rise in consumer requirement for variants in flavors, advancement in food technology, presence of aromatic compounds in some flavors, investment in R&D, development of safe artificial flavoring agents, extensive use in flavoring the unpleasant medicines, use of flavors in cigarettes, enhanced quality of flavoring agents, extension in the product line, enhancement in flavor perception, numerous variants of flavoring agents, advancement in innovation and technology, alterations in existing products, enhancement of new and distinctive flavors, advanced sensory evaluation and testing of flavors, the impact of flavoring agent on overall acceptability of food product, and increase in reliability on processed &ready-to-eat products are the key drivers of the global flavoring agents market. However, expensive raw material, unpleasant aftertaste of certain flavoring agents, ban of certain flavoring ingredients as unfit for human consumption, allergic reactions, traditional methods of flavoring, perception about the artificial flavoring agents, and increase in competition hinder the market growth.
Availability of numerous flavoring agents
Several varieties of flavoring substances are approved by the FDA for use in food products such as extracts from fruits &vegetables, spirits from lemon &orange, aromatic oils, oleoresins, spices, herbs, natural sweeteners, artificial sweeteners, alcohol, acetones, esters, aldehydes, ketones, phenolics, terpenoids, and protein hydrolysates. Certain chemicals such asmanzate, ethyl propionate, limonene, ethyl maltol, ethylvanillin, isoamyl acetate, benzaldehyde, and ethyl propionate are used for flavoring substances. Organic and inorganic acid salts and acids such as glutamic acid salts, glycine salts, guanylic acid salts, inosinic acid salts, acetic acid, ascorbic acid, citric acid, fumaric acid, lactic acid, malic acid, and tartaric acid are others are used for processing savory flavoring agents.
FDA regulates the commercial use of flavors as generally recognized as safe (GRAS). Artificial flavoring agents such as benzophenone, ethyl acrylate, eugenyl methyl ether, myrcene, pulegone, pyridine, and styrene have been banned by the FDA, due to their safety concern for human consumption. Key manufacturers are inclined toward investment in advanced R&D and launch of safe flavoring agents as well as regulate with the International Organization of the Flavor Industry (IOFI) and Flavor Extract Manufacturers Association (FEMA).
Key benefits of the report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global flavoring agents industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the global flavoring agent market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global flavoring agent market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides detailed market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Questions answered in the global flavoring agents market research report:
- Which are the leading players active in the global flavoring agents market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
Flavoring Agents Market Report Highlights
By Distribution Channel
Key Market Players
ICC Industries Inc., Huabao International Holdings Ltd., Firmenich, T. Hasegawa Co. Ltd., Mane SA, Kerry Group, Flavorcan International Ltd., Symrise AG, International Flavors & Fragrances Inc., Sensient Technologies, Keva Flavours Pvt. Ltd, Archer Daniels Midland, Takasago International Corporation, Givaudan, Robertet Group